Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I was booked to travel 8th Feb. Had a very helpful chap on BA webchat who informed me they couldn’t rebook via QR as they were implanting a UAE ban but offered to book via Lufthansa or Swiss. Swiss didn’t have a flight on my date or a couple days either side so have rebooked on LH with just a 2 hour layover in Frankfurt! Not quite the new club suite I was looking forward to nor the q suite I was hoping to be re booked on but happy BA were able to accommodate quickly and easily!
Wozza2404 and esledo like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Mgo6
I was booked to travel 8th Feb. Had a very helpful chap on BA webchat who informed me they couldn’t rebook via QR as they were implanting a UAE ban but offered to book via Lufthansa or Swiss. Swiss didn’t have a flight on my date or a couple days either side so have rebooked on LH with just a 2 hour layover in Frankfurt! Not quite the new club suite I was looking forward to nor the q suite I was hoping to be re booked on but happy BA were able to accommodate quickly and easily!
I'm actually pretty impressed BA are going straight off with non-partner airlines.

I mean, I know they technically 'have' to do it, but I honestly thought the default position would be "form an orderly queue for Gulf Air".

Fair play.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:07 pm
Suspended

[please delete]
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:22 pm

I have been looking all day for a one-way fare back to the U.K. from DXB and have just seen a good combination of Gulf Air and BA via BAH pop up over the next couple of weeks.

I had been looking at QR now the blockade has ended but as mentioned earlier they have suspended their DXB flight presumably in an attempt to not face the wrath of Grant Shapps Twitter feed.

Thankfully the connection time between Gulf Air and BA is very good in BAH so a good option to return back to the U.K. before hotel quarantine is implemented.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Not an official source but this post suggests Germany has just banned flights to/from the UK.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33003302-post1159.html
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oneworldglobetrotter
Thankfully the connection time between Gulf Air and BA is very good in BAH so a good option to return back to the U.K. before hotel quarantine is implemented.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum oneworldglobetrotter. It is probably best not to hang around on this, for once the middle ground is the least attractive option. So go very early or go very late I suspect. BAH is a more manageable airport than most in the region so it's not a bad option, there are two flight connection routes up to departure level on both wings of arrival gates. Lot easier than DOH at any rate.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
influencers have a contract that includes provisions (by and large) that they represent they are not violating any law or regulation. most of them represent tangible goods that can be displayed in their boring home or flat. they chose to join the bandwagon. granted there is another tranche that has to do with actual properties in dubai, fine.

but the annoyance with them is showing their fibre pills or whatever from poolside when they really could have shown them from their shaking cold hand in essex or god forbid, birmingham.

so yes, its is a bit of schadenfreude for all to see they maybe finally understood the reality of breaking or at least stretching UK laws or regulations on travel.

and the entire lot combined with the larger brit population of stretching advice leads to BA having to curtail service in reaction to government regulations. no fun for anyone.
ClubflyerLondon likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE

I guess you are lucky I had a flight booked in feb with ba (from bru) & they canceled it , no options to reroute offered. I shall be flying direct with ek.
Even last year while i was in dxb then canceled my flight & only offered ba options to ams, as they canceled their flights to bru.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's all been resolved anyway. Flights between DXB & DOH restarted a couple of weeks back.
Ah thanks, shows how little attention I've been paying as not flying, great news though. Much preferred MAN - DOH - DXB or HYD than having to bother with LHR, also QR product is great.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Ah thanks, shows how little attention I've been paying as not flying, great news though. Much preferred MAN - DOH - DXB or HYD than having to bother with LHR, also QR product is great.
Indeed - I'm looking forward to trying it again (although I'm less impressed with their new "cut-down" business class).
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I don't give two hoots about people taking the proverbial mick out the current situation but i've got vast sympathy for the travel companies that have to deal with the consequences of legitimately booked business travellers, family emergencies and long stay travellers that neither sought to breech the guidelines or would actively have returned given half the chance, especially if they refuse to book anyone against guidelines. It's a never ending palavar of desperately trying to bring in cash to survive whilst adhering to the law, and dealing with the consequences of 16 hour notice periods whereas making the announcement a couple of days earlier would have allowed anyone to get home. Now? We've thousands of displaced people who will still come home, just taking double the number of flights, being in contact with double the amount of people, and in the riskiest of circumstances. Closing the worlds busiest air route with enough notice for only 2 flights to depart those trying to get back in time simply puts many more people at risk (although i'm glad to hear that a couple of extra EK flights are seemingly arriving).
It is indeed a very tough situation. but again Grant Schapps made no secret of the fact of the risks of international travel and he did say things can and will change at short notice. Indeed we saw how quickly borders closed and regulations changed when this godawful virus reared its ugly head at the outset. We have seen how quickly France and Europe closed borders at a drop of a hat when our new strain came to light in December and hotel quarantine has been mooted for several days.

Cases have been rising more in Dubai and more restrictions have been implemented (eg bans on non emergency surgery to free up hospital resources) so anybody with a bIt of common sense should have warned clients about the risks of essential travel and long stay holidays.

People would not have been forced agains heir will to go to Dubai and would have weighed up the risk of travel be it being stranded or havin to reroute to go home and employers would have evaluated the rIsks when sending staff there,

People affected by family emergencies aren’t just limited to travellers to Dubai. Lots of people can’t travel globally and even in the first lockdown I was unable to travel to see my father 80 miles away who was rushed to hospital following a heart attack. No visitors allowed not even my mother.

Fortunately the light is at the end of the tunnel with the roll out of vaccines and we can look forward to travel again. It might not be in May or July but we will travel and it will mean more ad I suspect tour operators and travel agents will create magical bucket list experiences for their clients.

I do wonder if 2 week mandatory hotel isolation or being tagged at home like a convict released early on license how much essential travel and holidays when permitted would have been taken.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
To which cities in the Middle East does BA still fly to?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
To which cities in the Middle East does BA still fly to?
BA is still flying to BAH, meaning people in DXB can fly via there and connect to BA’s BAH-LHR service
GazzaC likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:26 pm

Al Jazeera confirmed that Qatar Airways is cutting reservations (and I suspect air linkes) from the UAE and southern African states.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
Al Jazeera confirmed that Qatar Airways is cutting reservations (and I suspect air linkes) from the UAE and southern African states.
Is this really just to appease the UK? Because it would seem that the UK Gov website specifically tells people in red list countries to look at indirect options to get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.