Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by andys84
I’d be really grateful for any advice here…

I have flights booked for my family of 4, departing 18th Feb and returning 5 days later. These were booked in the BA sale in November

We have given up hope of restrictions easing sufficiently for us to go on holiday, but no sign of BA cancelling the flights (we are booked on the 105 outbound and the 104 inbound – and it seems BA are cancelling the 107 and 106)

Instead of claiming the FTV, I’m considering moving our flights to the 107/106 combo in mid-March, when those flights are currently scheduled to restart again.

Do you guys think there is a strong chance BA will extend the strategy of cancelling those flights, and therefore putting me in the position of being able to claim a full refund?

Or, worst case, if I move them to March and BA don’t cancel, am I correct in assuming I’d be in exactly the same position as I am now – in that I’d be able to claim a FTV anyway?

Based on your advice, I may call up BA ASAP, to get in on those March 107/106 flights before BA cancel them.

Final thought – would you guys agree that BA are unlikely now to cancel our February 105/104 flights, as passenger loads continue to be high despite restrictions?

Thanks
Welcome to Flyertalk - indeed I would recommend taking flights back to an FTV (you can't "move" unless you've got expensive flexible tickets - or are they Reward Flights??) - rebooking for last week Mar into early Apr and then booking a mix of the 104/106 & 105/107

This is, in my opinion, the best chance of getting a cancellation one way or other.

I really can't see the one daily flight getting the chop
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’d be really grateful for any advice here…

I have flights booked for my family of 4, departing 18th Feb and returning 5 days later. These were booked in the BA sale in November

We have given up hope of restrictions easing sufficiently for us to go on holiday, but no sign of BA cancelling the flights (we are booked on the 105 outbound and the 104 inbound – and it seems BA are cancelling the 107 and 106)

Instead of claiming the FTV, I’m considering moving our flights to the 107/106 combo in mid-March, when those flights are currently scheduled to restart again.

Do you guys think there is a strong chance BA will extend the strategy of cancelling those flights, and therefore putting me in the position of being able to claim a full refund?

Or, worst case, if I move them to March and BA don’t cancel, am I correct in assuming I’d be in exactly the same position as I am now – in that I’d be able to claim a FTV anyway?

Based on your advice, I may call up BA ASAP, to get in on those March 107/106 flights before BA cancel them.

Final thought – would you guys agree that BA are unlikely now to cancel our February 105/104 flights, as passenger loads continue to be high despite restrictions?

Thanks
Id say never say never. There’s a lot of noise this morning about UK hotel self isolation for all arrivals/arrivals from high risk countries so depending what’s decided the situation may well change Re flight cancellations. Your thoughts on switching to the other is logical if there’s no fare difference as you can claim a FTV up until check in closes (allow 24hrs though to make sure you can get through to someone).
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum andys84.

I think those of us who give out crystal ball inspiration tend to be cautious about how things will turn out since this pandemic is very difficult to predict even 2 weeks ahead. The issue of hotel quarantines, for example, wasn't really around a fortnight back, and if that is implemented then that could make a difference. You are still a bit more than 2 weeks before departure (and rather more for the return, so at the moment the only sensible advice is to wait. There are quite a few people here who have FTVs for flights that ended up being cancelled. I'm not sure trying to change flights is a good idea - there would be a fare difference to pay potentially - since this falls straight into the category of a double "maybe" booking, with added jeopardy. I think you should be resigned to a FTV, Dubai is freight as well as travel, and the expatriate community in UAE, adding in the AUH side, is massive and will continue to travel, even with hotel quarantines.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: BA
Thanks MF, KJ ad CWS
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Arrived yesterday morning. CW was packed, spotted maybe 2-3 free seats. Mask-rule was followed quite well except for the usual nose-outs.

Everyone retested on arrival and received the result (negative) overnight via SMS. With Marhaba services went to the front of the line on both testing and passport checks so can't comment how long it would have taken otherwise but DXB airport seems to have this process nailed down.

No questions or anything at immigration. Bags were first out on the belt, from doors open to taxi in <25 minutes.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I flew back Friday and had issues getting my PCR result from Medcare (in fact I still haven't officially had it even now). Had to go there and kick up a bit of fuss until they pulled it manually and printed me a hard copy and stamped it. So anyone looking for a test I'd very much recommend paying the extra 100dhs and having one of the companies who come to your hotel and guarantee the results in 12 hours. Or use a big hospital rather than a clinic. Emirates Specialty do a 4 hour guaranteed result test for 400dhs if you get really stuck.

Other than that, queues at UK border were obscene. No e-gates (the norm currently) and just a couple of agents on desks. Everyone being questioned for a couple of minutes about reasons for travel. A few being sent out for fines.

Then some friends arrived back on Saturday and whilst the queue was still large, absolutely no questions being asked to anyone - so as always in the UK, we're nothing if not inconsistent.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I flew back Friday and had issues getting my PCR result from Medcare (in fact I still haven't officially had it even now). Had to go there and kick up a bit of fuss until they pulled it manually and printed me a hard copy and stamped it.
Could you elaborate on this? What issues?
Did you register with their portal system?

I went there today for a test, and whilst it did seem a bit disorganised i found it no more so than anywhere else offering similar in dubai.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:10 am

Hi guys.
I need to be in Dubai late March/April
I'm planning to fly from FCO Rome simply because its way cheaper to start my journey ex Italy
I live in London.
now, I know things are changing by the minute and the uk gov is looking into hotel qurantine and all that (which is a separate issue)
my question. Does anyone here know what the rules are currently for staying airside and how easy it's to do a back to back at FCO? As I've never done it at at FCO.
and or will I need to quarantine in Italy?
Many thanks
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Palty
Hi guys.
I'm planning to fly from FCO Rome simply because its way cheaper to start my journey ex Italy
I live in London.
now, I know things are changing by the minute and the uk gov is looking into hotel qurantine and all that (which is a separate issue)
my question. Does anyone here know what the rules are currently for staying airside and how easy it's to do a back to back at FCO? As I've never done it at at FCO.
Many thanks
Much more difficult currently - without enjoying freedom of movement, you need to be able to enter italy legitimately to even attempt a back to back. It's really no different that the guy doing LHR-DOH-LHR for an airside meeting that was denied travel!
Palty likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:39 am

Hi guys.
I live in London.
Many thanks
now is not the time to be attempting ex EU routings will only end in tears
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Hi guys.
I live in London.
Many thanks
What is your risk/reward on this? The upside has got to be massive for you, perhaps you could explain what the savings are. Would you be better flying a lower class one way if the cost was that important to you?
Palty likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:21 am

What is your risk/reward on this? The upside has got to be massive for you, perhaps you could explain what the savings are. Would you be better flying a lower class one way if the cost was that important to you?

The savings on that is I'd say is well over 2k (as it's for 2 people)
I dont mind flying ba lower class either but the price has to be right and it isn't

The thing i find messed up is that when I search for 1 cash ticket on ba (from london direct) the price is good
but when I change the search for 2 people then the price jumps massively
I called up ba cuz I thought it might be a technical issue but they gave me the same ridiculous price

And when i say ridiculous I mean PE came in way more expensive than business class
like how is that even possible? Lol
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL

The savings on that is I'd say is well over 2k (as it's for 2 people)
I dont mind flying ba lower class either but the price has to be right and it isn't

The thing i find messed up is that when I search for 1 cash ticket on ba (from london direct) the price is good
but when I change the search for 2 people then the price jumps massively
I called up ba cuz I thought it might be a technical issue but they gave me the same ridiculous price

And when i say ridiculous I mean PE came in way more expensive than business class
like how is that even possible? Lol
Airfares are determined by booking classes. The more demand, the less seats available in a lower booking class (and lower booking class = cheaper price). It appears from what you describe above there is only 1 seat left in the 'cheaper' booking class for the dates you wish to fly. By purchasing 2 seats, it moves both of you into the more expense booking class, hence the increase in cost.
Also, each cabin and the airfares available in it are normally (not always) sold independently, so PE could only have seats for sale at the highest fare class while Club has seats available at the lowest fare class - hence the price differential you have noted!

Pilot37
Palty likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Hi guys.
I live in London.
Many thanks
Currently only people permitted into Italy up to 5 March is those residing there and those with absolute necessity who must declare the reason in writing. A B2B is NOT considered transit yiu are flying London to Italy on ticket 1 and Italy to London to Dubai on ticket 2 so under current rules unless you have residence you won’t be able to board your outbound flight to Italy and therefore unable to join your originating flight meaning all remaining segments will be cancelled.
Palty likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi guys.
I live in London.
Many thanks
Presumably there’s a price premium for Easter holidays. I can’t see there being leisure travel allowed at Easter so prices may well drop. I wouldn’t consider any kind of exEU at all. Often you can book two separate tickets at the lower price on two different devices at the same time, if it goes wrong, you’ve got 24 hours to call up, cancel and get a full no questions asked refund
Palty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.