Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Sensible plan indeed, as it's Thursdays when the corridors get changed starting the following Saturday ?
Typically it’s Saturday it might be instant if it’s serious like Denmark and I can’t remember if South Africa was instant. K
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
unless they significant issue and close it off straight away like Denmark or South Africa
True, and that would likely be tricky for all those on essential business trip that probably won't have finished their essential business....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Sensible plan indeed, as it's Thursdays when the corridors get changed starting the following Saturday ?
Denmark was instant, IIRC; and some Greek islands were changed mid-week (out of cycle) in early September.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
UAE has just been removed from the Travel Corridor List. You will need to isolate if arriving after 4am on 12th Jan.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
UAE has just been removed from the Travel Corridor List. You will need to isolate if arriving after 4am on 12th Jan.
This kind of risk is exactly what led to me booking a ticket for one flight every day when a family member had to go to a Greek island last September - although even that would not have got around this kind of instant removal. (And I've ended up with six separate FTVs, each mostly composed of Avios.)
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Give it a few hours and expect avios inventory to open up then!

though 5 days and £79 might not put that many off.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Give it a few hours and expect avios inventory to open up then!

though 5 days and £79 might not put that many off.
Doubt it, the kind of people breaching lockdown to travel to DXB in the first place are likely the same kind of people who will breach self-isolation requirements.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Thats it for my 380 flight in April....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I understand the reason for the UAE being removed but if the UK had required negative PCR tests before travel sooner then probably far fewer cases would have been imported to the UK - starting on Friday seems a definite case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I was due back in the UK on the 19th which I moved to the 15th. Therefore this announcement means I won't be coming back and will stay in the UAE/Saudi. For people like me who work abroad, snap decisions like this make life even more difficult and I don't see why giving 36 or 48 hours notice would not really affect things materially given the massvie positive count already in the UK.

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Jan 11, 2021 at 11:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I understand the reason for the UAE being removed but if the UK had required negative PCR tests before travel sooner then probably far fewer cases would have been imported to the UK - starting on Friday seems a definite case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I was due back in the UK on the 19th which I moved to the 15th. Therefore this announcement means I won't be coming back and will stay in the UAE/Saudi. For people like me who work abroad, snap decisions like this make life even more difficult and I don't see why giving 36 or 48 hours notice would not really affect things materially given the massvie positive count already in the UK.
Despite our inept Government playing whack a mole with restrictions there is history of immediate restrictions (Denmark, SA, some GREEK islands), of having immediate and retrospective quarantine imposed. Indeed said Government did say that overseas travel (in a global pandemic) would be risky and if your leisure or current business travel was critical and essential then expect short notice changes.

I don’t think our current Government have much wiggle room however with the rapid rise in cases/deaths at the moment and we’ve not reached the peak hence their immediate action.

Im also surprised that the UAE have continued to allow a high risk country in such as the UK however I expect the social media exposure and tourism £££ from ‘influencers’ and the associated publicity attached too much of an incentive. That said however in the last 24-48 hours they have been forcing Brits to test on arrival despite the fact that arrivals had a negative PCZr test result with people being quarantined in their room until the results received. I expect a couple of shock tests results giving arrivals an enforced stay at a UAE quarantine facility.
Ldnn1 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Doubt it, the kind of people breaching lockdown to travel to DXB in the first place are likely the same kind of people who will breach self-isolation requirements.
I do agree that they would go regardless. Hasn't the FCDO advised against all but essential travel however making most travel insurance invalid? Hopefully this may stop a few going as I really wouldn't fancy being in Dubai without any valid insurance!!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I do agree that they would go regardless. Hasn't the FCDO advised against all but essential travel however making most travel insurance invalid? Hopefully this may stop a few going as I really wouldn't fancy being in Dubai without any valid insurance!!
Whilst I know this is a frequent flyer forum when theres People questioning the risk of travel with frontline NHS staff that had 20 covid deaths at the weekend and people saying that IF you were caught in the illegal act of travelling to the airport the penalty is only £200 this will be of little consequence especially as I believe Battleface will provide cover even if FCDO say don’t travel.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I don't think I've seen it mentioned on here before, but UK and Germany no longer qualify for just a test on arrival. You need a test 96 hours before as with other countries.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ents/tourists/
rockflyertalk and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I don't think I've seen it mentioned on here before, but UK and Germany no longer qualify for just a test on arrival. You need a test 96 hours before as with other countries.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ents/tourists/
There's evidence on forums that DXB are mandating testing on arrival as well now for all UK arrivals - so PCR before departure and on arrival.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
There's evidence on forums that DXB are mandating testing on arrival as well now for all UK arrivals - so PCR before departure and on arrival.
Yep - I've seen that in a few places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.