Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’ll say it again. Good grief. The fact you can fly outbound, to DXB, from our riddled country, without a test, and sit in a packed nine across economy cabin taking your mask off to eat and drink, and well whenever you fancy - is a huge risk compared to the examples you’ve mentioned. Bonkers
londonba2014 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by londonba2014
I’m not getting into an argument on this - supermarkets and pharmacies are open for obvious reasons and afaik folk don’t spend 8 hours at a time in them - appreciate a VERY SMALL number of folk need to travel for business at the mo; but in most cases Zoom will do the trick..
Employees do spend 8 hours in them. An air circulation system with HEPA filters is generally fitted to airplanes and not fitted to supermarkets and pharmacies.

The reasons are really not obvious at all, all these products are widely delivered.

Other than a meeting or phone call, zoom really doesn’t work. You cannot inspect sites, physically do some work, sign and witness documents etc etc. If your work revolves around just talking to people that’s great but that’s not really work is it.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’ll say it again. Good grief. The fact you can fly outbound, to DXB, from our riddled country, without a test, and sit in a packed nine across economy cabin taking your mask off to eat and drink, and well whenever you fancy - is a huge risk compared to the examples you’ve mentioned. Bonkers
AFIK eco cabins have the middle seat empty.

If they are indeed packing 8 across that’s irresponsible by the airlines.

Most business travellers do indeed travel business class.

Holidays are against the law, I never said they aren’t or people should. That doesn’t mean as a business traveller I should have to answer to anyone though.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
AFIK eco cabins have the middle seat empty.

If they are indeed packing 8 across that’s irresponsible by the airlines.

Most business travellers do indeed travel business.

Holidays are against the law, I never said they aren’t or people should. That doesn’t mean as a business traveller I should have to answer to anyone though.
Again wrong. No seats being left empty, it’s 9 across not eight. You don’t have to answer to anyone. But in my opinion, we should all follow the rules, and only take an essential business trip if it absolutely can’t be postponed.

BTW I’m working in construction (not from home) and your comments seem completely wrong around virus spread there too
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Again wrong. No seats being left empty, it’s 9 across not eight. You don’t have to answer to anyone. But in my opinion, we should all follow the rules, and only take an essential business trip if it absolutely can’t be postponed.

BTW I’m working in construction (not from home) and your comments seem completely wrong around virus spread there too
I actually agree with most of the post. If I’m travelling for work I should not need to explain this to anyone. It’s legal and since when is it normal to ask people to reconfirm what they are doing is legal?

However, I do disagree totally with construction industry being allowed to be open. Close contact with each other all day long when you don’t even do that on a flight. The agenda of keeping the construction industry open is just economic and nothing to do with it being safe.

Oh and if you care about your own safety, pay for business. If you can’t don’t travel. Nanny state might be gaining ground but we do still need to look after own health!
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Given that there are currently millions of people in the UK unable to work as a result of government policies forbidding them to, you can forgive the frustrations and expressions of anger towards a bunch of influencers swanning around Dubai doing "work" that is far from essential. You can forgive these frustrations even more so when they can't travel a couple of miles to visit their relatives.

Then there's Celtic FC, who have made an utter mockery of the privileges afforded to professional athletes, having gone to Dubai neither on business purposes or to fulfill a fixture.

Given that neither of the above carry a fine or amount to a crime being committed, I don't however think there's anything BA can do about it. At any rate, one could easily lie about the purposes of the visit. If the Government isn't happy about it, apply further restrictions.

Last edited by Bohinjska Bistrica; Jan 5, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Given that there are currently millions of people in the UK unable to work as a result of government policies forbidding them to, you can forgive the frustrations and expressions of anger towards a bunch of influencers swanning around Dubai doing "work" that is far from essential. You can forgive these frustrations even more so when they can't travel a couple of miles to visit their relatives.

Then there's Celtic FC, who have made an utter mockery of the privileges afforded to professional athletes, having gone to Dubai neither on business purposes or to fulfill a fixture.

Given that neither of the above carry a fine or amount to a crime being committed, I don't however think there's anything BA can do about it. At any rate, one could easily lie about the purposes of the visit. If the Government isn't happy about it, apply further restrictions.
Hit the nail on the head.

People complaining about permitted travel are frustrated.

Frustration is a mental health issue, where people are generally more focused on others than themselves.

I can’t see my family so why can xyz sit on a beach ( just so happens that where the person is working has a beach, they didn’t go there on a beach holiday) reeks of jealousy not any actual concern for COVID spread.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Given that there are currently millions of people in the UK unable to work as a result of government policies forbidding them to, you can forgive the frustrations and expressions of anger towards a bunch of influencers swanning around Dubai doing "work" that is far from essential
I don’t disagree with the general sentiment of your post, however I am very glad that the government hasn’t gotten into the murky waters of decreeing which work is essential and which isn’t.

Essential relates to having to travel to complete said work, it has nothing to do with what value society may or may not assign to a particular job. Long may that continue IMHO.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
Frustration is a mental health issue, where people are generally more focused on others than themselves.
That's a little unfair, though as it happens I do think we should focus on setting a good personal example rather than worrying about others. I've had to spend a bit of time recently with those in the NHS trying to keep people alive, and they are utterly frustrated, pretty much to the point of demotivation, at what they see in wider society. The BBC news website has 2 such videos on the front page which accurately describe, from different perspectives, how some staff are feeling. So personally I think it's entirely natural for them to be frustrated in the horrific circumstances the UK and many other European countries are in now.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a little unfair, though as it happens I do think we should focus on setting a good personal example rather than worrying about others. I've had to spend a bit of time recently with those in the NHS trying to keep people alive, and they are utterly frustrated, pretty much to the point of demotivation, at what they see in wider society. The BBC news website has 2 such videos on the front page which accurately describe, from different perspectives, how some staff are feeling. So personally I think it's entirely natural for them to be frustrated in the horrific circumstances the UK and many other European countries are in now.
Harsh I admit, but jealous and frustration are ugly personality traits and unless people are harsh about it people won’t look within to change themselves.

Healthcare workers (not just NHS) are something more that frustrated. They are disillusioned. I believe being disillusioned is based on their own experiences and what they have to deal with. Being frustrated is something entirely different: it stems from jealousy and rarely has any relevance to the frustrated person having any greater knowledge or moral high ground. It’s an important difference to note.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by krispy84
I don’t disagree with the general sentiment of your post, however I am very glad that the government hasn’t gotten into the murky waters of decreeing which work is essential and which isn’t.

Essential relates to having to travel to complete said work, it has nothing to do with what value society may or may not assign to a particular job. Long may that continue IMHO.
Just to bring this back to the law

This is paragraph 2(5) of Schedule 3A to the

Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020

Exception 2: work, voluntary services, education and training etc
(5) Exception 2 is that it is reasonably necessary for P to leave or be outside P’s home—

(a)for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for P to work, or to provide those services, from home”. (my emphasis)

So it’s not the case that all ‘work’ is automatically ok. To have a reasonable excuse for leaving or being away from home, it must be reasonably necessary to leave / be away and it not be reasonably possible to do that work from home.

Again, essential and non essential travel is not a thing - much better to think “Is this an activity that I can reasonably do in a pandemic” (ie work - yes; holiday - no) and then “do i need to leave home to do this?”

Note: I believe all that has so far happened in law in England is some changes to the type of business that must close and all of England now in Tier 4 - see Regulation 3 (13) (b) of these 2021 Regs which amends the 2020 Regs quoted above

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...0210008_en.pdf
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Duplicate please delete - sorry!
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If people are angry at influencers and holidaymakers travelling from UK to Dubai, they should be directing their anger towards the institutions that allow for them to travel amid travel restrictions.

The UK government have said no travel, so why are planes still turning up full? I doubt every person could prove they are travelling for work, so more stringent checks need to be enforced by government, airlines, etc. The saying - “don’t hate the player, hate the game” comes to mind.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
If people are angry at influencers and holidaymakers travelling from UK to Dubai, they should be directing their anger towards the institutions that allow for them to travel amid travel restrictions.

The UK government have said no travel, so why are planes still turning up full? I doubt every person could prove they are travelling for work, so more stringent checks need to be enforced by government, airlines, etc. The saying - “don’t hate the player, hate the game” comes to mind.
Have we really gone so back in time that taking a flight is considered something special?

Seriously, people need to get real.

COVID is a thing and we need to be careful. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but when people act like things which were normal a year ago are suddenly abnormal we need to seriously reassess mental health.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jamesreid978

Are you saying that those who knowingly violate the restrictions intended to protect everyone are blameless and all of the blame lays with the government for failing effectively to enforce the restrictions?
londonba2014 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.