Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:26 am

A poster on the Points Guy UK Facebook group stated that UK border force were working at check in and called him to verify his colleagues' trip to the UAE was legitimate. They also offloaded some passengers who did not a valid reason to travel. He did not confirm if this was BA/EK/EY. It would be interesting if anyone else experienced this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Thepi
A poster on the Points Guy UK Facebook group stated that UK border force were working at check in and called him to verify his colleagues' trip to the UAE was legitimate. They also offloaded some passengers who did not a valid reason to travel. He did not confirm if this was BA/EK/EY. It would be interesting if anyone else experienced this.
Working at check in but called him?

Why?

Couldn’t he hear them from behind the counter?

Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
Working at check in but called him?

Why?

Couldn’t he hear them from behind the counter?

Maybe read the post you are quoting more carefully.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe read the post you are quoting more carefully.
No, I understood that they called his colleague.

I just fail to understand what right they have to ask anyone other than the person travelling questions.

This is coming from someone who has their silk. So better to not begin on the legal aspect.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Thepi
I’ll be amazed, they can’t put enough people to check incoming passengers but they have time for this. Border force doesn’t have any enforcement powers on essential travel within the UK either, it’s a police matter. Under what law were they offloading people onboard a plane since there is nothing in the SI actually outlawing travel abroad in England.

Anyway isn’t this thread about BA & Dubai not the legality of people allowed to travel or not for their job (perfectly legal) weather you value their work or not.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
I’ll be amazed, they can’t put enough people to check incoming passengers but they have time for this. Border force doesn’t have any enforcement powers on essential travel within the UK either, it’s a police matter. Under what law were they offloading people onboard a plane since there is nothing in the SI actually outlawing travel abroad in England.

Anyway isn’t this thread about BA & Dubai not the legality of people allowed to travel or not for their job (perfectly legal) weather you value their work or not.
I bet that's because of the article on BBC News yesterday so they like to show a bit of action, I bet in three days they are nowhere to be seen again
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
This is coming from someone who has their silk. So better to not begin on the legal aspect.
Ah, sorry, I forgot that lawyers know everything. Thanks for putting me right.
VSLover, Kgmm77, Mike P and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Just to bring this back to the law

(5) Exception 2 is that it is reasonably necessary for P to leave or be outside P’s home—

(a)for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for P to work, or to provide those services, from home”. (my emphasis)

So it’s not the case that all ‘work’ is automatically ok. To have a reasonable excuse for leaving or being away from home, it must be reasonably necessary to leave / be away and it not be reasonably possible to do that work from home.
Bolding is mine.
The problem with the legislation is the same as the problem with most legislation. Until a court defines what the word reasonable actually means in this context and that can become case law, then people have to decide for themselves.

As this thread demonstrates, people all have different interpretations as to what is reasonable. Usually it revolves around what I want to do being reasonable and what others want to do being unreasonable, even if that is what I want to do.
IAMORGAN and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I bet that's because of the article on BBC News yesterday so they like to show a bit of action, I bet in three days they are nowhere to be seen again
much more likely to be mis information or perhaps outside England as I’m not clear on what restrictions are actually in place in Scottish or Welsh law.
oceanscape and Captain Walker like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
much more likely to be mis information or perhaps outside England as I’m not clear on what restrictions are actually in place in Scottish or Welsh law.
Well, given the limited visibility of border force at Heathrow in general I can't imagine that they now deploy border officers who individually interview anyone and even have the time to call employers, and obviously they have now the skill to identify who's going to Dubai once someone enters the terminal and ask especially this person. Given that, I think it's a prank post of someone in reaction to yesterday's BBC News article. It would be more credible to me if someone of the valued members of this forum gets checked in person.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:06 am

imagine the scene....
Border Force: Excuse me sir, i need to ring the number of your employer to verify your reason for travel...
Self-employed passenger: Sure thing, the number is 07.......
BF: *rings number
SEP: excuse me, i've got a phone call
BF: hello, i'm with Joe Blogs, could you please verify that he is travelling for work
SEP (Joe Blogs): yup, he is
BF: thank you sir, sorry for bothering you
SEP: no problem, have a nice day... and get some rest, you look tired

i mean seriously..... what really can they do?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: Executive Club
Great, thanks. And any upgrade and bags I added subsequent to the original purchase will also be included in the voucher value?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ayearinmx
imagine the scene....
Border Force: Excuse me sir, i need to ring the number of your employer to verify your reason for travel...
Self-employed passenger: Sure thing, the number is 07.......
BF: *rings number
SEP: excuse me, i've got a phone call
BF: hello, i'm with Joe Blogs, could you please verify that he is travelling for work
SEP (Joe Blogs): yup, he is
BF: thank you sir, sorry for bothering you
SEP: no problem, have a nice day... and get some rest, you look tired

i mean seriously..... what really can they do?
Agreed. Also, pretty sure this isn't in the Border Force's job description, why would it be?

I would be beyond amazed if a direction came from on high that there is now a new requirement - to phone passengers' employers (based on a number given by the passengers at the desk) to confirm travel is OK, and all Border Force staff said "Sure, that's fine. We'll add it to our tasks without further ado."

Come on...
oceanscape and Captain Walker like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Well, given the limited visibility of border force at Heathrow in general I can't imagine that they now deploy border officers who individually interview anyone and even have the time to call employers, and obviously they have now the skill to identify who's going to Dubai once someone enters the terminal and ask especially this person. Given that, I think it's a prank post of someone in reaction to yesterday's BBC News article. It would be more credible to me if someone of the valued members of this forum gets checked in person.
Agreed. I can't recall ever seeing a BF agent in departures. Maybe they are there, but hidden away
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Agreed. I can't recall ever seeing a BF agent in departures. Maybe they are there, but hidden away
You clearly weren't there when BA LHR Passenger Ops were giving cupcakes away for some reason. There were baggage handlers, engineers, HAL, Border Force, the paramedics on their bicycles, even the Met armed officers came by.
DYKWIA, IAMORGAN and nufnuf77 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.