Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I guess it's fair to say from all the posts around this topic that, if you don't close your borders 'Australian' style for outward/ inward travel, the whole thing doesn't properly work.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Captain Walker
I just had a look at the seat map on Expert Flyer for my outbound to Dubai later this month. I'm in WTP and when they booked it 2 weeks ago it was probably about 75% occupancy. It's now just two seats occupied...me and someone else.
My flight next week to DXB was almost full a few days ago. Today it has 8 CW Avios seats available and the seat map has emptied.

So clearly people travelling for leisure are actually cancelling - I'd imagine a lot of those left are just waiting to see if BA cancel the flight to consolidate to one flight a day again so they can get a refund rather than a voucher.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
My flight next week to DXB was almost full a few days ago. Today it has 8 CW Avios seats available and the seat map has emptied.

So clearly people travelling for leisure are actually cancelling - I'd imagine a lot of those left are just waiting to see if BA cancel the flight to consolidate to one flight a day again so they can get a refund rather than a voucher.
I expect a consolidation as well - I have to go though so I hope they keep the lunch time departure, as I cannot stand the late night flight (and I don't want to go to the office directly after arrival)
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I expect a consolidation as well - I have to go though so I hope they keep the lunch time departure, as I cannot stand the late night flight (and I don't want to go to the office directly after arrival)
Exactly the same. They just did the late one when I went in November and it's awful.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to one flight, 5 days a week. Even 3 days a week.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thank you for this. Extremely helpful.

www.battleface.com

It's a specialty insurer covering countries under non-essential travel advisories. Target group are normally journalists, NGO workers and so on travelling to countries like Syria, Yemen, etc and they provide support in case of torture or blackmail, hijack, terrorism, wrongful detention, and all other things you might find at such destinations.

It covers of course also standard things like medical emergencies etc. Covid cover only if you are under 59 though.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
www.battleface.com

It's a specialty insurer covering countries under non-essential travel advisories. Target group are normally journalists, NGO workers and so on travelling to countries like Syria, Yemen, etc and they provide support in case of torture or blackmail, hijack, terrorism, wrongful detention, and all other things you might find at such destinations.

It covers of course also standard things like medical emergencies etc. Covid cover only if you are under 59 though.
59 and under to be accurate, i.e. no Covid cover for 60+
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
I’ll be amazed, they can’t put enough people to check incoming passengers but they have time for this. Border force doesn’t have any enforcement powers on essential travel within the UK either, it’s a police matter. Under what law were they offloading people onboard a plane since there is nothing in the SI actually outlawing travel abroad in England.

Anyway isn’t this thread about BA & Dubai not the legality of people allowed to travel or not for their job (perfectly legal) weather you value their work or not.
A couple of other blogs and Facebook groups reporting the same. The message from the government and police in the last 24 hours is clearly we are up the creek without a paddle and you’ve got to stay at home. It really should be essential reasons only for travelling eg why do you have to travel to Xxxx and why can’t you postpone the trip for 2-3 weeks or whatever.

Not sure what legal jurisdiction UKBF have got to deny travel or can they get the police to enforce or if there’s any new powers under any of the Coronarvirus legislation but I think thE dayS of i intend to work when I’m there or I’m viewing a property are over.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nonsense, border force are there to enforce immigration and customs resignations / laws ie Customs and Excise Acts

They aren’t there to enforce nor have any ability to enforce any other laws. There is no law against travelling out of the country that border force can enforce.
But it is clear that police officers do have such power though. Under current law police have powers to direct a person to return to their home if they believed they were outside of their home without a reasonable excuse. Fixed penalty notices may also be issued too.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
But it is clear that police officers do have such power though. Under current law police have powers to direct a person to return to their home if they believed they were outside of their home without a reasonable excuse. Fixed penalty notices may also be issued too.
Agree police absolutely do. Let’s be honest they won’t be phoning every passenger with an outboard flight just like BF won’t.

I’m not here trying promote people leaving England I’m just looking for useful info on going to Dubai at some point when the lockdown ends and debunking Misinformation if I see it on the way.

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
A couple of other blogs and Facebook groups reporting the same. The message from the government and police in the last 24 hours is clearly we are up the creek without a paddle and you’ve got to stay at home. It really should be essential reasons only for travelling eg why do you have to travel to Xxxx and why can’t you postpone the trip for 2-3 weeks or whatever.

Not sure what legal jurisdiction UKBF have got to deny travel or can they get the police to enforce or if there’s any new powers under any of the Coronarvirus legislation but I think thE dayS of i intend to work when I’m there or I’m viewing a property are over.
There are a lot of sad people on the internet.

There are no new powers for BF.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Jan 6, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Agree police absolutely do. Let’s be honest they won’t be phoning every passenger with an outboard flight just like BF won’t.

I’m not here trying promote people leaving England I’m just looking for useful info on going to Dubai at some point and debunking Misinformation if I see it.
No problem. The position in the law is if you leave home it has to be on the basis of a reasonable excuse. If it is not then you are committing an offence.

There is no explicit restriction on flying, but clearly the reason for you leaving home, going to the airport, and travelling must be all on the basis of a reasonable excuse. Some of the reasonable excuses are not explicitly limited by distance, but may be limited implicitly, so for example going out to get food is fine but claiming you are flying to Dubai to buy food clearly wouldn't be.

Work is one reason that you can leave home. Leaving home for the purposes of work where it is not reasonably possible for you to work or to provide services from home is fine, and if that legitimately involves you having to fly to Dubai or somewhere else I can't see that being in breach of the rules.

It is clear that leaving home to go on holiday, whether within England or abroad, would not be a reasonable excuse. Police have powers to stop you at any part of that journey once you leave home and in the airport, and they can direct you to return to your home if they believe you are outside of your home without a reasonable excuse. They can issue fixed penalty notices too. Airports are in particular one place with a fairly high concentration of police so being questioned if you are arriving at an airport at the moment should not be surprising.

I don't wish to interrogate you or anyone else on here about your purpose for potentially going to Dubai, but I hope the above helps clarify whether your trip may be allowable or not
TGLoyalty likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 6, 2021 at 2:36 pm Reason: typos
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
Seriously amusing that so many people think what anyone else is doing is any of their business,

Do people honestly have such little going on in their own lives or such a disdain for privacy?

We all need to follow the rules, but what exactly gives YOU the right to know what anyone else is doing?

An invasion of privacy is far more serious than someone taking a flight for legitimate reasons.

We have come to such an ugly place.
This made me laugh out loud.
If they didn't keep posting it on social media most people wouldn't know they were there. But if its not on social media then they are not "working"
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
This made me laugh out loud.
If they didn't keep posting it on social media most people wouldn't know they were there. But if its not on social media then they are not "working"
I’m sure there’s a certain irony between a “disdain for privacy” or the “invasion of privacy” and posting lots of your current status and whereabouts on social media...
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS
I'm not posting anything on social media though.....
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cluster One
From the Globelink website:

Which would suggest that if you travel against FCDO advice there is no Covid cover; if you travel from Tier 4/lockdown there is no cover at all.
Did you verify that you had cover?
Yes, I have been out of the UK since Sept 1st so this does not apply to me (but is certainly worth pointing out for others)
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
DXB going down to 1 flight per day from 21 Jan - 12 Feb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.