Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Blumie
Are you saying that those who knowingly violate the restrictions intended to protect everyone are blameless and all of the blame lays with the government for failing effectively to enforce the restrictions?
Not at all. Where did you even get that from?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
Not at all. Where did you even get that from?
You'll note that I'm not quoting your post in my response.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:44 pm

Are you saying that those who knowingly violate the restrictions intended to protect everyone are blameless and all of the blame lays with the government for failing effectively to enforce the restrictions?

The way I read into it, he's saying the UK Government could do a whole lot more to discourage such behaviour but to date have (for whatever reason) chosen not to. If given an inch, people will invariably take a mile and chance their arm until they're challenged. For as long as this situation has been playing out, there's been distinct vagueness over government stance for people to use common sense and do their bit. The problem is without clear black and white specifics, everyone will have their own unique definition over what these mean and read into the murkiness what they want. Those with more moralistic scruples will generally be more self aware, be prepared to make decisions/sacrifices for the greater well being of others and will generally feel and express frustration when they see those around them who are generally more carefree and oblivious living their lives as though nothing has changed.
jamesreid978 likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jan 5, 2021 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
They are not blameless, of course not. What I am getting at is that if these restrictions were actually enforced, then full planes wouldn't be arriving at DXB. The fact people can freely travel despite there being restrictions is my point, take the can part away and they are unable to. It would be like saying, you can't go to restaurants (but allowing them to stay open) unless it's essential for your work to go, but then never checking if anyone was attending for work purposes.

I think it's a wider issue in general with the UK, most of the rules regarding COVID all of last year have been very hard to enforce to individuals and a large % of the population has no desire to follow them. The non-compliance by MPs, MSPs and the Scottish First Minister of course does not help the attitude of the public.

For information, I have nothing against the flights being open, in fact I like that they are, I have had a few friends travel recently and also would allow (if I desired) to fly to the UK to see family and return to Dubai, which currently I have no desire to do, due to all the restrictions in the UK.

Last edited by jamesreid978; Jan 5, 2021 at 9:56 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The way I read into it, he's saying the UK Government could do a whole lot more to discourage such behaviour but to date have (for whatever reason) chosen not to. If given an inch, people will invariably take a mile and chance their arm until they're challenged. For as long as this situation has been playing out, there's been distinct vagueness over government stance for people to use common sense and do their bit. The problem is without clear black and white specifics, everyone will have their own unique definition over what these mean and read into the murkiness what they want. Those with more moralistic scruples will generally be more self aware, be prepared to make decisions/sacrifices for the greater well being of others and will generally feel and express frustration when they see those around them who are generally more carefree and oblivious living their lives as though nothing has changed.
I was in London at the beginning of the second lockdown in November and I observed that many of the very clear government directives were being ignored. Granted, there appeared to be no serious attempts at enforcement, but just walking around Hammersmith, for example, I saw many businesses that clearly are not essential businesses (Ryman stationery, for example) remain open. I think there's plenty of blame to go around.
1Aturnleft and londonba2014 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
They are not blameless, of course not. What I am getting at is that if these restrictions were actually enforced, then full planes wouldn't be arriving at DXB. The fact people can freely travel despite there being restrictions is my point, take the can part away and they are unable to. It would be like saying, you can't go to restaurants (but allowing them to stay open) unless it's essential for your work to go, but then never checking if anyone was attending for work purposes.

I think it's a wider issue in general with the UK, most of the rules regarding COVID all of last year have been very hard to enforce to individuals and a large % of the population has no desire to follow them. The non-compliance by MPs, MSPs and the Scottish First Minister of course does not help the attitude of the public.

For information, I have nothing against the flights being open, in fact I like that they are, I have had a few friends travel recently and also would allow (if I desired) to fly to the UK to see family and return to Dubai, which currently I have no desire to do, due to all the restrictions in the UK.
I agree. I have been in the UK several times during the pandemic and have seen zero serious efforts of enforcement of any of the restrictions.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:12 pm

I agree. I have been in the UK several times during the pandemic and have seen zero serious efforts of enforcement of any of the restrictions.
What I would like for UK Border to at least ask the question. Even if it's to a random selection of departing UK passengers per flight and where appropriate be asking for proof of essential business before allowing them to proceed airside/on board (depending upon where in the departure process this happens). If it were to happen then there would perhaps then be enough deterrent to make some deceptive holiday seekers at least question whether it's worth chancing the cost of their trip.

I imagine there will be manpower implications not to mention social distancing ones that may be preventing such checks from being made.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Seriously amusing that so many people think what anyone else is doing is any of their business,

Do people honestly have such little going on in their own lives or such a disdain for privacy?

We all need to follow the rules, but what exactly gives YOU the right to know what anyone else is doing?

An invasion of privacy is far more serious than someone taking a flight for legitimate reasons.

We have come to such an ugly place.

Last edited by SingaporeDubai; Jan 5, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
What I would like for UK Border to at least ask the question. Even if it's to a random selection of departing UK passengers per flight and where appropriate be asking for proof of essential business before allowing them to proceed airside/on board (depending upon where in the departure process this happens). If it were to happen then there would perhaps then be enough deterrent to make some deceptive holiday seekers at least question whether it's worth chancing the cost of their trip.

I imagine there will be manpower implications not to mention social distancing ones that may be preventing such checks from being made.
Respect people’s privacy.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Worst case, check on arrival, not on departure for crying out loud.

Have you forgotten everything that makes a country civilised and democratic?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:54 pm

If government brings in the testing obligation for inbound passengers (and if they're not so stupid to exempt residents), then wouldn't the limitations on travel be less relevant? Especially if they actually go about enforcing home self-isolation for arrivals instead of pretending to be doing that.
1Aturnleft and SingaporeDubai like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
If government brings in the testing obligation for inbound passengers (and if they're not so stupid to exempt residents), then wouldn't the limitations on travel be less relevant? Especially if they actually go about enforcing home self-isolation for arrivals instead of pretending to be doing that.
Well that would be logical.

But it seems the U.K. is more upset about people being in Dubai than any logical way of preventing infections being brought to the U.K.

I guess jealousy and spite is more important than containing the virus to most.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I think this is the solution, and the UK Government should implement a pre-arrival PCR test as soon as possible. This ensures that anyone travelling abroad (for whatever reason) will not bring back COVID-19 and therefore will not increase the burden on the NHS, though they could increase the burden on the health system wherever they travel.

In general the UK publics response to pandemic laws falls into 3 buckets:
  1. there are the majority of people that follow the intent and word of the law - minimizing and avoiding physical interactions with other people as that is the way we will reduce infections and get back to normal. These are the people that believe in society, the common good etc.
  2. there are some that look for loopholes and workarounds in the law that allow them to do what they want, ignoring the intent. Not breaking the law, but certainly not aligned with the intent. Perhaps justifying it by other peoples behavior.
  3. There are some that ignore the law completely - it doesn't apply to them.
The people in the first group are probably not in Dubai at the moment, and I can understand feeling upset when they see the actions of the other two groups as it increases the time in lockdown (i.e. their sacrifice for the common good). However, with PCR testing on arrival back in the UK the actions of groups 2 and 3 would not extend the lockdown as any infections caught abroad would mostly stay abroad.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
Well that would be logical.

But it seems the U.K. is more upset about people being in Dubai than any logical way of preventing infections being brought to the U.K.

I guess jealousy and spite is more important than containing the virus to most.
The discussion is a bit strange in that the focus of the thread suddenly moved to Brits going to DXB and boozy brunches...oh...and “influencers”...oh...and a football team.

Meanwhile, masses of flights from the EU, US, Indian SC, Africa and China are landing at LHR everyday...........total silence. It’s as if the message from some here is: borders must be closed to Brits, borders MUST remain open for everyone else?

Sorry, but if some of you are going to bash Brits coming back from DXB then you’re gonna have to bash all the other nationalities coming to the U.K. from other places, something which has been going on since Lockdown v1. You cannot have this double standard where it’s ok to bash Brits but you all remain silent about other nationalities. You only have to look at Flight Radar to see what’s coming in. Are they self isolating for 14 days? Do they have the Covid? Is anyone checking?

Of course not. It’s so much easier to bash Brits and boozy brunches et al.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I've been following this thread with interest given my own planned trip to DXB in July, however it seems to be drifting OT in the same way as the last thread on mask wearing.

I for one would prefer if this one wasn't (also) locked as there are clearly some usefully informed contributors here...
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Captain Walker
The discussion is a bit strange in that the focus of the thread suddenly moved to Brits going to DXB and boozy brunches...oh...and “influencers”...oh...and a football team.

Meanwhile, masses of flights from the EU, US, Indian SC, Africa and China are landing at LHR everyday...........total silence. It’s as if the message from some here is: borders must be closed to Brits, borders MUST remain open for everyone else?

Sorry, but if some of you are going to bash Brits coming back from DXB then you’re gonna have to bash all the other nationalities coming to the U.K. from other places, something which has been going on since Lockdown v1. You cannot have this double standard where it’s ok to bash Brits but you all remain silent about other nationalities. You only have to look at Flight Radar to see what’s coming in. Are they self isolating for 14 days? Do they have the Covid? Is anyone checking?

Of course not. It’s so much easier to bash Brits and boozy brunches et al.
Because it's only Johnny Foreigner who flies in from the EU, US, India, Africa and so on. HMG has been asleep at the wheel on this topic; in my humble opinion they should've introduced PCR testing as a prerequisite for everyone's arrival months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.