Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yep - I've seen that in a few places.
I fly tomorrow so will let you know!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I don't think I've seen it mentioned on here before, but UK and Germany no longer qualify for just a test on arrival. You need a test 96 hours before as with other countries.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ents/tourists/
The link posted, which may have been updated since you posted advises that you can still test on arrival as a UK or German citizen.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
The link posted, which may have been updated since you posted advises that you can still test on arrival as a UK or German citizen.
Indeed, same information on TIMATIC. The exception for UK is extremely surprising.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I don't see why giving 36 or 48 hours notice would not really affect things materially given the massvie positive count already in the UK.
It’s not about relative cases, it’s about absolute, so regardless of however many cases are already here we don’t want a wave of people coming in with the virus and spreading it around because they’ve evaded isolation. Also a lot of the reason behind the Dubai decision in particular is to ensure domestic compliance within the UK. For certain sections of society, watching people having fun in the sun will lead to resentment and that makes them less likely to follow the rules at precisely the time they really need to. This way the government is being seen to be strict.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
There's evidence on forums that DXB are mandating testing on arrival as well now for all UK arrivals - so PCR before departure and on arrival.
Arrived in DXB last night with a PCR test, and saw no evidence of anyone with a PCR being asked to take another test.
After getting off the flight where all arrivals mix, there was barriers seperating those with pcr certs and those without. If you had a cert it was checked at the top of the queue and then waved onwards to immigration. if you didnt have a cert you were directed to the testing area. FYI the airport was extremely busy at 00:30am, certainly seemed to be a pre pandemic levels of arrivals.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Confus
It’s not about relative cases, it’s about absolute, so regardless of however many cases are already here we don’t want a wave of people coming in with the virus and spreading it around because they’ve evaded isolation. Also a lot of the reason behind the Dubai decision in particular is to ensure domestic compliance within the UK. For certain sections of society, watching people having fun in the sun will lead to resentment and that makes them less likely to follow the rules at precisely the time they really need to. This way the government is being seen to be strict.
with 50k detected, and probably twice that undetected cases of local transmission would 500 people arriving from dubai, even if all infected, really matteR?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:11 am

Leaving aside whether people agree or disagree with others going on holiday, is the removal of UAE from the travel corridor going to have any material change to the numbers going to DXB over the next few weeks?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Only until 8am on Saturday, it seems. (the link has been updated at lunchtime)

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ents/tourists/
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Ha! Yes - it was updated. Now it says it's from 16 January :-

Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Leaving aside whether people agree or disagree with others going on holiday, is the removal of UAE from the travel corridor going to have any material change to the numbers going to DXB over the next few weeks?
I had a big impact when the corridor was implemented - so I would suggest pax numbers will continue to fall further (most cancellations should have happened due to the lockdown though) and the new testing requirement before departure won’t be helpful for sure.

I don’t expect any large pax increase before April, and UK Government might be tempted to have the corridor closed over the Easter break to avoid high travel numbers.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Arrived in DXB last night with a PCR test, and saw no evidence of anyone with a PCR being asked to take another test.
After getting off the flight where all arrivals mix, there was barriers seperating those with pcr certs and those without. If you had a cert it was checked at the top of the queue and then waved onwards to immigration. if you didnt have a cert you were directed to the testing area. FYI the airport was extremely busy at 00:30am, certainly seemed to be a pre pandemic levels of arrivals.
Ok that's helpful, thanks.

I've booked Marhaba arrivals for tomorrow because it just makes things so much more straightforward for the sake of £30 at the moment.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've booked Marhaba arrivals for tomorrow because it just makes things so much more straightforward for the sake of £30 at the moment.
Smartgates are open again - apparently...

*Unless they've been closed again.
Wozza2404 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:47 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Smartgates are open again - apparently...

*Unless they've been closed again.
Arrived yesterday morning 6 am, they were closed.

There is also zero follow up. They ask what flight you're on with 0 confirmation via boarding pass, and they take exactly 0 seconds to look at your PCR results. I couldn't find mine in a stack of papers (I did have one), so I just literally waved the whole stack of papers and was promptly pointed to immigration. Someone malicious could go through this checkpoint with a little arrivals planning and a stack of printed non-related papers.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Ok that's helpful, thanks.

On that note, I'm taking an overnight flight and it's not clear from the website if you have to book the arrival date or the flight date (day before). I'm guessing the former?

Kind Regards,
Simon
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
On that note, I'm taking an overnight flight and it's not clear from the website if you have to book the arrival date or the flight date (day before). I'm guessing the former?

Kind Regards,
Simon
Mine lands at midnight and I always book the arrival date.
AAtticus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.