Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Not if it's 50% of the price! And the QR J product is better than the EK B777 which is being used on some of the UK - DXB routes (IMO).
Or if the revenue fare gets you a cheeky 40 TPS extra and you’ve got time to spare
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Will100
Or if the revenue fare gets you a cheeky 40 TPS extra and you’ve got time to spare
Isn't it 60TP as it's classed as First? I'm sure it was for me anyway back in Jan 2016.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
My friend flew LHR-DXB last week and said J-class seemed to be exclusively 20-something influencers ....
I have to fly LHR-DXB for work on 31st jan will report back club is looking pretty busy, should not im very far from a 20 somthing influencer
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Centurion BA GGL IHG Diamond
Deleted

Last edited by Komodromou; Jan 20, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Not if it's 50% of the price! And the QR J product is better than the EK B777 which is being used on some of the UK - DXB routes (IMO).
If it's half the price there's no question I would fly through DOH. But at the same price, I'd choose the non-stop on a BA 351 rather than fly QR through DOH.

I've had quite a few longhauls on QR and BA in the last five months, and while I love the Q-suites, and in the past absolutely would have routed via DOH if I could have to get to DXB -- I flew way too many LHR-AUH/DXB segments on BA in the past three years when QR was not an option -- now as long as I can fly a BA 351 I'm happy.

FWIW, while the seat and service on QR is great, I find the food to be nothing special. And while food may be dead last in my priorities for choosing a flight/airline, I know people here view airline food as the second most important factor, after the champagne, when choosing a flight. Oh, and while I do quite like QR's champagne options, that's also lower on my priority list than seemingly for most on this board!

Last edited by Blumie; Jan 21, 2021 at 3:16 am
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:12 am

Some changes happening today in Dubai:
- all non essential surgeries have been cancelled for the next month
- all entertainment permits have been cancelled (I think this is just dancers, singers, DJ's etc)

According to the official statistics COVID cases are less than a third of the UK rate.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Blumie
If it's half the price there's no question I would fly through DOH. But at the same price, I'd choose the non-stop on a BA 351 rather than fly QR through DOH.
Of course, I'd forgotten I was on the BA forum rather than the EK forum. That's why I compared QR to EK
Blumie likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by 8420PR
- all entertainment permits have been cancelled (I think this is just dancers, singers, DJ's etc)

According to the official statistics COVID cases are less than a third of the UK rate.
I'm flying out this weekend (yes for work) and somehow can't shake the feeling it's only going to get worse in terms of restrictions and controls.
Hopefully I can get out in time and into the UAE as I'm using this trip also as my 14 days outside the UK to be able to return to Singapore after.
And then hope that Singapore doesn't ban UAE by early February. Travelling truly has become a gamble and stressful occupation.
ClubflyerLondon and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8420PR

Unsurprising and will continue to rise rapidly as Dubai allowed the “Kent Virus” to flow in for so long. Very shortsighted
AAtticus, oceanscape and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just an anecdote.
Any pax who has spent two hours in UK in the past 21 days is banned from entering Hong Kong.
Numerous people have decided to spend 3 weeks in Dubai and then fly to HK where all arrivals have a strict 21-day hotel quarantine (forbidden to leave the room or receive visitors). Some fly to Hong Kong on SQ via Singapore. SQ does not have pre-departure testing requirement. On a recent SQ flight, three of them tested positive upon arrival in Hong Kong. Two of them acknowledged that they had symptoms boarding the flight in DXB, but did not want to be stranded in Dubai.
Those currently waiting in Dubai to complete their 21 days are worried.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-overseas-fear

Last edited by brunos; Jan 22, 2021 at 12:12 am
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I've just spoken to a colleague out there. Again, very anecdotal but it seems COVID is rampant amongst the Under 40s expats and "almost everyone" has had it in the last few weeks. Denmark has now banned arrivals from DXB because of the prevalence of fake PCR test results.

I looked at my BA flight out there and it is quite busy in Club. I think I am going to pass.....
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whilst UK was at 60k+ a day confirmed - it was acceptable to present a PCR test 72 hours pre travel .... people waved through without cert even being checked...
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Associated Press is reporting that Denmark has temporarily suspended all flights from the United Arab Emirates for five days over concerns that Dubai is not using reliable coronavirus tests.

Denmark suspends Dubai flights amid doubts over virus tests (apnews.com)

Edit: Just noticed that this was already mentioned a few posts above. But the link offers further info.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Lots of allegations in the last few posts most all of which can be labelled circumstantial and bordering perhaps on fake news.

Contrary to what has recently been mentioned, Covid is not rampant out here (depends on your definition).....yes, it more than doubled over the Christmas period (like so many places) as Dubai et al went for the money and traded off a 70% hotel occupancy rate against higher infection rates from a low base - deaths are often in single figures (a lot to do with the fact that lots of people out here are young (or at least under 50).

So, lets not scare everyone off and talk of everyone in JBR/Marina etc being infected are laughable.

Tests are free and easy to get - test to fly PCR tests cost around £40 GBP rather than the total rip off UK where they cost £150 GBP min and some as high as £250. The Dubai medical system has many great hospitals with the latest equipment and the UAE has vaccinated 20% of the population (yes we can argue about the China vaccine effectiveness).

I recall seeing some weeks back some guy in Dubai being out here funded by issuing his own fake PCR test certificates to anyone who wanted one for a small fee. Given how little attention is paid to the certificates, the tens of thousands of testing centres around the world I am astounded that there aren't more fakes. I have 3 or 4 genuine certificates from recent tests any one of which I could fake (name, positive -> negative) etc in less than 5 mins - therefore the whole PCR certificate regime requirement in itself is a farce (can Denmark vouch for the authenticity of every PCR certificate and testing centre ?)

I support needing a certificate to fly - law abiding travelers like me and most of the flying public will have genuine certificates but all airports should test on arrival if they really want an accurate picture of positive/negative.
DYKWIA, AAtticus, ENTP and 2 others like this.

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Jan 22, 2021 at 9:42 am
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Lots of allegations in the last few posts most all of which can be labelled circumstantial and bordering perhaps on fake news.

Contrary to what has recently been mentioned, Covid is not rampant out here (depends on your definition).....yes, it more than doubled over the Christmas period (like so many places) as Dubai et al went for the money and traded off a 70% hotel occupancy rate against higher infection rates from a low base - deaths are often in single figures (a lot to do with the fact that lots of people out here are young (or at least under 50).

So, lets not scare everyone off and talk of everyone in JBR/Marina etc being infected are laughable.

Tests are free and easy to get - test to fly PCR tests cost around £40 GBP rather than the total rip off UK where they cost £150 GBP min and some as high as £250. The Dubai medical system has many great hospitals with the latest equipment and the UAE has vaccinated 20% of the population (yes we can argue about the China vaccine effectiveness).

I recall seeing some weeks back some guy in Dubai being out here funded by issuing his own fake PCR test certificates to anyone who wanted one for a small fee. Given how little attention is paid to the certificates, the tens of thousands of testing centres around the world I am astounded that there aren't more fakes. I have 3 or 4 genuine certificates from recent tests any one of which I could fake (name, positive -> negative) etc in less than 5 mins - therefore the whole PCR certificate regime requirement in itself is a farce (can Denmark vouch for the authenticity of every PCR certificate and testing centre ?)

I support needing a certificate to fly - law abiding travelers like me and most of the flying public will have genuine certificates but all airports should test on arrival if they really want an accurate picture of positive/negative.
Any recommendations on where to book a test as a non resident? I will need to do one for travel on a Sunday. I'm guessing with Friday / Saturday closure of these centers only Thursday is possible to keep within the 72 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.