Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:47 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
EC261 doesn't count for reward flights according to BA. Good luck.
I fear you may be daydreaming a bit. but good luck with your attempt.
You are mistaken. EC261 applies to reward flights as well as paid flights. Downgrade compensation is due irrespective of the reason.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
The U.K. really are taking advantage of Dubai...

Manchester United boss Casey Stoney has said she is "sincerely sorry" for giving her players permission to travel to Dubai over the festive period.
No doubt they blame the government for letting them go away!
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The FT comes up with another story about the 'party city Dubai which opens up for tourists as Europe shuts down':

https://www.ft.com/content/34fc511e-...e-92aad4117f78

Unfortunately behind a pay wall, but if Border Force will undertake any checks re/ essential travel over the next days, I guess I have an idea at what gate they'll stand to unload pax.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
The FT comes up with another story about the 'party city Dubai which opens up for tourists as Europe shuts down':

https://www.ft.com/content/34fc511e-...e-92aad4117f78

Unfortunately behind a pay wall, but if Border Force will undertake any checks re/ essential travel over the next days, I guess I have an idea at what gate they'll stand to unload pax.
Presumably border force wouldn’t give a rats about passengers connecting off a DXB (or any other flight) onto another non UK destination?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Presumably border force wouldn’t give a rats about passengers connecting off a DXB (or any other flight) onto another non UK destination?
It’s naive to believe that most customers flying DXBLHR are connecting onwards. Some will be, of course, and officers can just wave them on cheerily. But the vast majority will be Brits coming home. So yes, I hope they do make extra effort to check.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC
EC261 doesn't count for reward flights according to BA. Good luck.
Do you have any examples of BA taking that position.

From memory, the 75% downgrade rule explicitly applies to Reward Bookings.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Egbg100
My 107 has been cancelled also was in first on a companion voucher. My return was already downgraded to club a few weeks ago so was hoping for some comp.

Any ideas how to now play it ?
Your post is not entirely clear but if you haven't flown either leg then you'll get back what you paid (Avios and taxes) or you have the option to move to alternative dates. Compensation would only be potentially payable for the downgrade if you were to actually fly it in the lower class which seems rather improbable if the outbound now has also been cancelled...
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
Your post is not entirely clear but if you haven't flown either leg then you'll get back what you paid (Avios and taxes) or you have the option to move to alternative dates. Compensation would only be potentially payable for the downgrade if you were to actually fly it in the lower class which seems rather improbable if the outbound now has also been cancelled...
so outbound has been cancelled and no alternative offered. Return has already been downgraded due to change of aircraft. Presume I can change the outbound to the 1 only flight that day etc and the return would be downgraded. Therefore both outbound and return are not in the class originally booked and paid for. Therefore once travelled I would presume eu261 would apply.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:06 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You are mistaken. EC261 applies to reward flights as well as paid flights. Downgrade compensation is due irrespective of the reason.
Something that I will be pursuing hard after my downgraded Vegas flights are completed. Don’t let em get away with it..
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
There is a significant numbers of HKgers who wanted to return to HK from UK despite the ban on UK arrivals from UK. On 22 December, anyone who had spent 2h in UK in the past 14 days was banned entry, that was extended to 21 days on 25 December.
Some friends desperate to get back to work in Hong Kong had decided to get their virginity back by staying in Dubai, then Hong Kong after 21 days (still have strict 21 days quarantine upon arrival).
But HK has announced a ban on EK flights to HK till 22 January, because of too many cases on their flights.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...n-due-covid-19
No more nonstop flights and very few alternative options.
My friend was to fly back from DXB to HKG next week. He now has to fly through BKK, with ET from BKK to HKG The whole affair turns out very painful and costly (42 days hotel).
This is not the time to travel.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Egbg100
so outbound has been cancelled and no alternative offered. Return has already been downgraded due to change of aircraft. Presume I can change the outbound to the 1 only flight that day etc and the return would be downgraded. Therefore both outbound and return are not in the class originally booked and paid for. Therefore once travelled I would presume eu261 would apply.
i suspect when they rebook your ‘alternative’ outbound flight you’ve accepted the changes at a reprice (eg refund of Avios) and there won’t be any EU261 comp due.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
When it comes to downgrades and whether compensation is due, post 5 of the EC261 thread has a lot of useful information on this subject https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
On a complete separate note - booked for April and still supposed to fly on an 380. Tempted to bet £2 that won't happen, so please give me an 350 at least....
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Scotland has removed Dubai from the Travel Corridor list as of Monday 04:00 hrs GMT. Passengers originating from Dubai will need to self isolate for 10 days.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Scotland has removed Dubai from the Travel Corridor list as of Monday 04:00 hrs GMT. Passengers originating from Dubai will need to self isolate for 10 days.
a move to stop people flying out from Scotland? Or backlash for the Celtic player that’s tested positive after their recent trip? The rest of UAE continues to be exempt and I don’t believe they publish a breakdown by Emirate.

They do seem to be making large in roads into their vaccination programme too.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Jan 10, 2021 at 3:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.