Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Does anyone know if the “posh” part allows QR F customers in it since they are using this lounge whilst theirs is still closed following the blockade?
I got access to the posh sub-lounge a couple years back when flying Sri Lankan in Y, but with BA gold, so I assume OWE have access to the posh part (and those flying in F) and OWS (and J) access the regular area. I am not 100% on this however. I didn't have to ask or anything as I had only ever used the BA lounge at T1 but the staff directed us into the posh part, so if OWE (or not even) it can't hurt to ask when you show up if you can use it or not.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:16 pm

Hi. I'd be grateful for a bit of advice from any of you with experience of using the Collinson 3 hour rapid PCR test at Heathrow with regard to travel to Dubai and BA check in.

On Gov.uk and the Emirates website it says that 'Rapid PCR' tests aren't acceptable for travel to Dubai. Does anyone know if this means the Heathrow 3 hour PCR tests aren't suitable? Is there anything different about the certificate from the usual PCR tests? To be honest I'm not sure what the difference is other than the turnaround time (but thats just my ignorance)

Other sites including VisitDubai just mention RT-PCR tests with Rapid or otherwise not specified. Do BA accept the Collinson 3 hour certificates at check in?

Thanks for any info on this
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Goodness - that is a good question as I am using the RANDOX Rapid PCR test to travel to DXB on Monday - I didnt realise there was a distinction!!! I hope not….

Also interested in the answEr to this question before I rapidly replan for a third time! PCR tests are costing more than the flight!

aks120
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
The Emirates website actually says:

So I think a rapid PCR is OK - not sure where you got your info from juakkers?

aks120
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by aks120
The Emirates website actually says:

So I think a rapid PCR is OK - not sure where you got your info from juakkers?

aks120
The part of the website you've quoted I think just applies to those countries listed. I was looking at the section below:Requirements for all passengers arriving in Dubai

All passengers travelling to Dubai from any point of origin (GCC countries included) must hold a negative COVID‑19 RT‑PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 72 hours before departure, except for travel from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Uganda, Vietnam, Zambia (for which specific requirements are stated above). Please see the requirements for travel from India below.

The certificate must be a Reverse Transcription‑Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT‑PCR) test. Other test certificates including antibody tests, NHS COVID Test certificates, Rapid PCR tests and home testing kits are not accepted in Dubai. Travellers must bring an official printed or digital certificate in English or Arabic to check in – SMS certificates are not accepted. PCR certificates in other languages are acceptable if they can be validated at the originating station.

To be honest I'm getting so bogged down in the detail now I'm not sure about anything any more! I'm trying to coordinate tests for 5 people and was hoping we could all just turn up at T5 and do them on the day - would save a massive load of hassle, but that wording has made me rethink
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:49 pm

Wife and I are travelling from UK to DXB on 1 Oct and we both took the Emirates site to mean Rapid PCRs are not acceptable. Hence we rejected Collinson’s 3h test at LHR as it is clearly labelled as Rapid and went for a standard RT-PCR 48h ExpressTest (we are waiting for the results now).

ExpressTest also do a 3h service at LHR but it doesn’t say whether it is Rapid so didn’t want to risk it.

I think Emirates is clear, and some UAE official sites even link to this, but other carriers like flydubai don’t mention it. So not particularly helpful.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:43 pm

On arrival in Dubai, your test certificate will be given a split second glance by a helper at the transit train and that is it.
aks120, Tobias-UK, dadio77 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:55 pm

Hmm - I have just read the ETIHAD site and it actually recommends the test I am getting. I read from this, and other stuff, that a ‘quick turnaround’ express PCR is different to a ‘rapid’ test - don’t ask me how!

Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:42 pm

I think rapid refers to the lateral flow tests, which are not accepted. PCR tests, no matter how quickly (rapidly) the results are returned should be accepted. The marketing lingo of using rapid to signify a quick return of results of a PCR test is potentially what is confusing things.
aks120 and Rim1 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:07 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm coming to the conclusion that 'Rapid' and 'Express' may indeed be two different language interpretations and therefore we might be ok. If anyone could confirm this through experience I'd be really grateful.
aks120 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I think rapid refers to the lateral flow tests, which are not accepted. PCR tests, no matter how quickly (rapidly) the results are returned should be accepted. The marketing lingo of using rapid to signify a quick return of results of a PCR test is potentially what is confusing things.
You hit the nail on the head. Many of the (more shabby) testing providers use the term 'rapid PCR' to advertise a 'low cost option' and they provide a rapid antigen/ lateral flow actually. Don't want to know how many people have to rush for an actual Rapid PCR at Heathrow as their certificates are not accepted at check in because of this.

If OP uses the Collinson/ Randox or Express test (where the company is called 'Express test', just to avoid confusion ) Rapid PCR all should be fine, as others said.
aks120 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:45 am

So I used the Randox 1-3 Hours Express test and VeriFly accepted it within seconds for my flight to Dubai tomorrow. All very easy and highly recommended to be honest - they are not much more than the 24 hour tests and I got mine back within an hour and a half of my test! RT-PCT.

We will see how tomorrow goes at check in!

aks120
2002ad and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hi Guys

Just to double check - I believe that I don't have to print my PCR result to bring a physical document with me - just to show it on the phone is enough?

Don't have a printer at home but at the same time not keen to find a printer around Heathrow Tuesday AM

Cheers
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi Guys

Just to double check - I believe that I don't have to print my PCR result to bring a physical document with me - just to show it on the phone is enough?

Don't have a printer at home but at the same time not keen to find a printer around Heathrow Tuesday AM

Cheers
Arriving in Dubai, phone copy will be fine. For Heathrow check-in, I am not sure. I haven't flown BA or form LHR to DXB for a while.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
We’ve just booked LHR-DXB return for mid-November in WTP for £666 pp. Now keeping fingers crossed for a POUG…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.