Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kosy91
Did you use chronomics at DXB and how did it go ?
Hi kosy, I posted on the VeriFLY thread earlier that the whole process was an absolute breeze and if you’re using it and have been verified, expect a successful check in!

in brief, as long as you are ‘green’ on the app, nothing further is checked either at DXB or LHR, physical copies stayed in my bag, it really was the simplest procedure, and I’m seriously questioning what I’ve forked Ł300+ out for!

If you aren’t using VeriFLY then the experience may be very different, but nothing I saw indicated any desire to catch people out due to the company’s they’ve used etc.

Due to a security incident at LHR this afternoon, the only issues we encountered was a 90 min wait for bags, so I’ll be posting a full account tomorrow after a good nights sleep - safe travels!
kosy91 and Travellingberry like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 3:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by dadio77
Hi kosy, I posted on the VeriFLY thread earlier that the whole process was an absolute breeze and if you’re using it and have been verified, expect a successful check in!

in brief, as long as you are ‘green’ on the app, nothing further is checked either at DXB or LHR, physical copies stayed in my bag, it really was the simplest procedure, and I’m seriously questioning what I’ve forked Ł300+ out for!

If you aren’t using VeriFLY then the experience may be very different, but nothing I saw indicated any desire to catch people out due to the company’s they’ve used etc.

Due to a security incident at LHR this afternoon, the only issues we encountered was a 90 min wait for bags, so I’ll be posting a full account tomorrow after a good nights sleep - safe travels!
Thanks )
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:55 am

Dubai Amber List Experience

Apologies if I'm repeating some of my own posts, but I found the information on here invaluable, albeit across a number of different threads, so hopefully this helps future travellers (until the next rule change, anyway!). We were 2 adults and a 7 yo travelling out to Dubai from LHR and I have added some dates in to show what worked for us:

LHR-DXB on 105 on 21/08 (22:25); DXB-LHR on 104 on 29/08 (12:15) - travelled in F on the oft moved 50% Avios promotion from last Oct (finally!)

12/08 - following a morning of reading on here, I booked the following 9 days before we travelled:

ExpressTest Fit to Fly PCR test at BHX drive thru, booked for 18/08 12:30, around Ł55pp with the various discounts suggested - for 2 adults only (U12's not required to be tested by UAE);
Chronomics Antigen test for -3 day test to return to the UK, Ł22pp for all 3 of us - arrived 16/08 due to weekend;
Expert Medicals Day 2 PCR test - Ł36pp as ordered before they removed the shocking Ł8pp p&p - arrived next day though (14/08).

We took the test at BHX on the 19th, if anyone has had any type of drive thru PCR test, this is identical (but Ł55 more than the NHS!), and the results were emailed through 26 hrs later at 14:30 on 19/08. Certs downloaded to phone and printed off for travel. When we arrived at LHR, check in staff had to check our daughter didn't need one, and checked the hard copies, no issues. At DXB, the hard copy was again checked at the transit station by the airport staff (not Immigration), which involved looking for the word NEGATIVE and waving us through - took about 10 seconds, and not referred to again. So all in all really simple and no issues whatsoever.

As a side note, DXB was completely empty, we were out within about 20mins from landing, at what used to be apparently their busiest time (08:30 local time).

On 24/08 I received an email from BA recommending I download veriFLY - cue more reading on here! Very skeptical at the outset, felt glitchy and not helped by the fact that the NHS app had my wife's first name recorded slightly differently on her vaccine cert - vF rejected this so I re-registered her in the incorrect (i.e. not passport matching) name, sure this would create issues - it didn't!

On 26/08 we took the antigen tests at the hotel - again if anyone has done a free home testing kit these are identical, aside from uploading a photo and registering the barcodes etc. It says you need the ref no's for the PLF but definitely not the case. As soon as the results were submitted, the certs were emailed and downloaded - took about 30mins in total for all 3 of us as although you should wait 15 mins, as soon as the negative line showed I uploaded the pics and they were accepted (NB - they did remain negative, I checked!). I was then able to upload this to vF, even though my wife's name didn't match, instant acceptance.

On 27/08, 47 hours before landing in LHR, I completed the PLF's for me and my daughter, and separately for my wife. All straightforward, the only ref required was the Day 2 tests, though it wasn't required for my daughter which was strange. I was then able to upload these to vF and complete verification (bit fiddly as you need barcodes from an e-cert, so I used two phones). Again despite the name mismatch, everything turned green. No antigen test results were required for my daughter, but we were now all green!

At DXB we arrived early, as did a lot of other flyers, but vF made it all a breeze - check in staff drilled into the pics on the pass, I asked her if she required any hard copies (which I asked the hotel to print for me) but she specifically said no, if vF is green that's all they need (they also put another family in the First check in queue as they had vF completed too, they were really pushing it, calling out 'tell your friends!' etc.).

Nothing else mentioned about tests/vaccines at any point - arrived in LHR to be told of a security incident earlier in the day and to expect significant delays - whilst immigration was busy and we were in the 'family' queue as we can't use the e-gates yet, it took about 15 mins to get through - normal passport check and done. I saw lots of families waving certs about but they weren't needed - I can't say if this was anything to do with the security incident but I wouldn't have thought so (though it did impact bag delivery - 90 minute wait).

So my experience would be that although the current testing regime is a complete nightmare to get right in your head, it all works very well in practice, though it feels much more relaxed than made out - there are definitely a number of points along the process that you can slip up on, but personally it all worked out really well for us.

Would I do it again? I wouldn't let the testing put me off (haven't done Day 2 yet but not fussed about that one!) - getting on a beach again after 26 months was definitely worth it. However we won't return to Dubai until the mandatory mask rule is removed - it is so arbitrary, no other real measures exist but is very uncomfortable in the heat. We are pro mask and wear ours in shops and on transport in the UK, but by the pool/beach? Just daft!

Sorry this is a long one, but if it saves another traveller a couple of hours then hopefully it's worth it!
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:56 am

For those of you who’ve flown out to DXB since the route restarted, have you been able to check in online?

When I’ve flown to Spain, there was a pop up to add test/vaccine/PLF etc but there’s nothing on MMB for Dubai.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: Some
Am I right in thinking BA haven’t really adjusted the winter DXB schedule since it came off the red list? There only seem to be two flights a day currently even through the Christmas peak and there are some very full looking J and F cabins already (F is almost sold out on the few dates BA is scheduled to operate it). Is BA planning on letting EK mop up all the excess premium traffic again with A380s like they did last year or should we expect some movement soon?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Not sure if it has already been mentioned previously...

My friend (a UK passport holder) just flew in a few days ago from Dubai on EK. He has had the Pfizer jabs in Dubai but apparently the UK don't recognise non-UK administered vacinations so he has to self isolate at home and do a test to release if he wants to do less than the 10 days (as well as normal day 2 and 8 tests).

He told me there was no checking of docs at LHR and people on his flight connected from India/Pakistan etc etc. His test and trace app went off when he got home and informed him that someone on the flight had tested positive but that he DID NOT have to quarantine because of this.

Naturally, he thinks the UK is a shower of s**t as none of this seems either sensible or co-ordinated

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Aug 31, 2021 at 5:32 am
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
I was able to LCI and generate a boarding pass on my flight to DXB and from DXB
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Not sure if it has already been mentioned previously...

My friend (a UK passport holder) just flew in a few days ago from Dubai on EK. He has had the Pfizer jabs in Dubai but apparently the UK don't recognise non-UK administered vacinations so he has to self isolate at home and do a test to release if he wants to do less than the 10 days (as well as normal day 2 and 8 tests).

He told me there was no checking of docs at LHR and people on his flight connected from India/Pakistan etc etc. His test and trace app went off when he got home and informed him that someone on the flight had tested positive but that he DID NOT have to quarantine because of this.

Naturally, he thinks the UK is a shower of s**t as none of this seems either sensible or co-ordinated
Yeah these are the rules currently. Only US/EU/UK administered jabs are accepted to bypass mandatory quarantine. Quite a few people heading back home from Dubai have fallen foul of this.

Then, as per the new rules that started this month, if you are double jabbed you do not need to quarantine if you are pinged as a contact by T&T. However, my reading of this legislation is that your friend SHOULD have been told to isolate because they do not fall into the "in the UK vaccination programme" category:

"Double-vaccinated adults will no longer be required to self-isolate from Monday, as long as they received their final dose of an MHRA-approved vaccine in the UK vaccination programme at least 14 days prior to contact with a positive case."

However, the UK having the IT infrastructure in place to differentiate is unlikely, hence why they were told the same as a UK vaxxed UK citizen would have been told.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Yeah these are the rules currently. Only US/EU/UK administered jabs are accepted to bypass mandatory quarantine. Quite a few people heading back home from Dubai have fallen foul of this.

Then, as per the new rules that started this month, if you are double jabbed you do not need to quarantine if you are pinged as a contact by T&T. However, my reading of this legislation is that your friend SHOULD have been told to isolate because they do not fall into the "in the UK vaccination programme" category:

"Double-vaccinated adults will no longer be required to self-isolate from Monday, as long as they received their final dose of an MHRA-approved vaccine in the UK vaccination programme at least 14 days prior to contact with a positive case."

However, the UK having the IT infrastructure in place to differentiate is unlikely, hence why they were told the same as a UK vaxxed UK citizen would have been told.
Agree with you. As far as I understand, he/she is required to quarantine as they’re not vaxed as per the eligibility requirements
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Any views on First coming back on this route?

Or indeed, Abu Dhabi making a come back?

I would have thought there would have been strong leisure demand to do both.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Will100
Any views on First coming back on this route?

Or indeed, Abu Dhabi making a come back?

I would have thought there would have been strong leisure demand to do both.
Coming back? Not sure what you mean, first is bookable to DXB ?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Coming back? Not sure what you mean, first is bookable to DXB ?
By cursory look mostly not! It;'s J only most of december/january
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My cursory look was next few weeks! Indeed not much for December January and then a few weekend dates
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Hello All,

A slightly off-topic question (and mods, please feel free to move if there is another home for this): What is the current restaurant / bar situation in Terminal 1 at DXB like? I am travelling with friends, so won't be able to use the Lounge and we'll probably just have drinks and something to eat in the main departure area. The airport website states that only Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are open. Is that right?? I was hoping for something more substantial than coffee and muffins...

Thanks very much!
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by xxxxx
For those of you who’ve flown out to DXB since the route restarted, have you been able to check in online?

When I’ve flown to Spain, there was a pop up to add test/vaccine/PLF etc but there’s nothing on MMB for Dubai.
Yep, checked in via the app both ways, downloaded boarding passes for all travellers to Apple wallet, though provided with paper tickets at the desks at LHR and DXB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.