Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Hello All,

A slightly off-topic question (and mods, please feel free to move if there is another home for this): What is the current restaurant / bar situation in Terminal 1 at DXB like? I am travelling with friends, so won't be able to use the Lounge and we'll probably just have drinks and something to eat in the main departure area. The airport website states that only Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are open. Is that right?? I was hoping for something more substantial than coffee and muffins...

Thanks very much!
We arrived just after a big breakfast at our hotel, so didn't search out a substantial meal - definitely a Costa as we grabbed a drink there and popped into a few of the shops, but I don't recall much else. It was mid-morning and the terminal was exceptionally quiet, only a few flights leaving before the LHR flight. Hopefully someone more alert than me can provide more options for you!

Didn't even look for the lounge as the reviews on here were pretty poor, so by all accounts you won't be missing much anyway....
Travellingberry likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Coming back? Not sure what you mean, first is bookable to DXB ?
Seems it is Jan - early March where it is patchy.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Schwann
Can confirm it is open and was full of people at an ungodly hour in the morning.
Ungodly hour in the morning is primetime at DXB!
Schwann likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by dadio77
We arrived just after a big breakfast at our hotel, so didn't search out a substantial meal - definitely a Costa as we grabbed a drink there and popped into a few of the shops, but I don't recall much else. It was mid-morning and the terminal was exceptionally quiet, only a few flights leaving before the LHR flight. Hopefully someone more alert than me can provide more options for you!

Didn't even look for the lounge as the reviews on here were pretty poor, so by all accounts you won't be missing much anyway....

Thank you, that helps! A big breakfast at the hotel it is.
dadio77 and kosy91 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
My cursory look was next few weeks! Indeed not much for December January and then a few weekend dates
It's a 789 over the next few weeks so First is available....?!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:15 am

Just as a data point, had my test done at 7:30am by Express Test in T4 long stay parking yesterday and results came through at 9:45 this morning.
dadio77 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Thank you, that helps! A big breakfast at the hotel it is.
Big breakfast at hotel is definitely the way to go.

The lounge had some hot options and sandwiches. I helped myself to a few cups of Arabic coffee.

I recall a large Pret across the boarding gate. That might be an option. Other options were Costa, camden food co
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hi, has anyone flown on BA105 recently and know what food service is in CW? We've booked 19th September which departs at 22:25 and thinking if we should have dinner before hand in the airport. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Travellingberry
Hi, has anyone flown on BA105 recently and know what food service is in CW? We've booked 19th September which departs at 22:25 and thinking if we should have dinner before hand in the airport. Thanks in advance.
I absolutely would, earliest you’ll be eating the main is 90 mins after take off.. midnight
kosy91 and Travellingberry like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Absolutely, jet leg avoidance protocols are the way to go - with an 08:25 arrival getting to sleep at the earliest opportunity would be my goal.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thank you both, very sensible advice After over a year of not flying anywhere I was actually looking forward to plane food and drinking from small airline glasses (I know quite sad). So was looking to see if there was actually going to be a meal service given it's an overnight flight or something like the old sleeper service where it's night cap and lights out?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thank you both, very sensible advice After over a year of not flying anywhere I was actually looking forward to plane food and drinking from small airline glasses (I know quite sad). So was looking to see if there was actually going to be a meal service given it's an overnight flight or something like the old sleeper service where it's night cap and lights out?
There will be a dinner and breakfast service, and drinks if you're so inclined ... oh, and there's nothing sad about it! ENJOY
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes, you will have dinner as the person up-thread also said. Personally I would enjoy the service and have the meal, you're going to be tired and semi jetlagged either way. Skip breakfast if anything.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Yup. There's a one tray dinner option (was some kind of beef roast dinner thing) and there's also a breakfast.

It's a bit like the JFK sleeper service - food is served ASAP after takeoff and you're asked if you want to be woken for breakfast.

Personally I just want to get as many hours sleep as I possibly can on this service.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
BA normally have a halal meal option on the menu on this route out of LHR but it seems that it’s been given the cut due to Covid.

Have your Covid test result paper ready before you get onto the transit train to immigration as they do a check before you can board.

Never been asked for the health declaration form which the cabin crew give out or the Dubai Covid app installation.

The immigration officer takes a cursory glance at the Covid test paper.

The officer also resigned me up for Smart Gates (said no in December as it was turned off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.