Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by u01sss3
That's very disappointing to hear. Was this behaviour typical of Dubai in general or just at the airport?

I stayed at Business Bay and everyone sticked to the rules there. Cant tell about the rest of Fubai.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sunsearchers
I stayed at Business Bay and everyone sticked to the rules there. Cant tell about the rest of Fubai.
In all my time there, I only saw one person maskless. I'm guessing he must have had a good reason for it.

The only other times were when people got up to go to the loo (or wherever) and forgot. Somebody would point it out quite quickly and politely (I forgot once ).

I actually went out for a walk yesterday back here in the UK and it felt quite strange not having a mask on.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
II’ve never really noticed any “chavs” in Dubai - maybe I am one! I have noticed people becoming more and more relaxed in public malls with shorts / tshirts etc (ie ‘skin’) which is borderline disrespectful
I think it has relaxed both ways. I was in the new(ish) Nakheel Mall on the Palm this week, for example, and I didn't see any signs forbidding hand holding between couples. Those were very familiar in the past and may even still be up in Dubai Mall etc.

Beer at the Waldorf is £11 per bottle by the way so keep away from there if on the lash. The mid-range restaurant we were in last night charged £75 for a bottle of house prosecco and over £200 for house champagne, the bulk of which goes to the Government.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Was anyone on the 104 today in CW?
a scuffle broke out between a guy in 4E and 5A 30 minutes to landing. I was in 4A. Police boarded the plane upon landing at LHR.

Apparently the person in 5A told the wife of the guy in 4E to control her kids as they were making too ouch noice while people were trying to sleep.

I did hear part of the conversation but thought it was cabin crew making a request and thought it was a bit harsh.

Anyway, 30 minutes to landing the husband in 4E approaches the guy in 5A asking him to apologies for swearing at his wife. The guy denies it and waved him away. The husband then swears at the guy in 5A a few times and then a scuffle breaks out. As I was in 4A I couldn’t see who hit who but I think it was the husband (personal view). The guy in 5A stands up and calls crew requesting that the police be called upon landing as he had been assaulted. the husband denies any such thing and tells crew to check cctv (does the A350 have cctv?).

Anyway, police board the plane at LHR question both parties separately and then it looks like they were just cautioned and told to go.

When the police officer asked the wife of the husband in 4E what she saw she did leave out some details which I believe she was aware of as as soon as the scuffle happened she told her husband to leave it.

Dubai is definitely the new Vegas!
Ah, I was further down the plane on the flight, as Club was fully sold and only WTP offers available. It was when the crew first said there would be a delay to disembarking due to" unloading freight " that I wondered what might be happening and then saw it unfold. As an aside still staggered at the number of people who don't realise the mask is meant to cover your nose too..
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AB28
Ah, I was further down the plane on the flight, as Club was fully sold and only WTP offers available. It was when the crew first said there would be a delay to disembarking due to" unloading freight " that I wondered what might be happening and then saw it unfold. As an aside still staggered at the number of people who don't realise the mask is meant to cover your nose too..
A few cabin crew were guilty of poor mask covering too. Not good especially when during the safety demo it’s announced that you should wear masks like the crew.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
I think it has relaxed both ways. I was in the new(ish) Nakheel Mall on the Palm this week, for example, and I didn't see any signs forbidding hand holding between couples. Those were very familiar in the past and may even still be up in Dubai Mall etc.

Beer at the Waldorf is £11 per bottle by the way so keep away from there if on the lash. The mid-range restaurant we were in last night charged £75 for a bottle of house prosecco and over £200 for house champagne, the bulk of which goes to the Government.
For that reason I stick with Negronis during my whole dinners in Dubai as I am not willing to pay £75 for a bottle of wine which I can buy at Waitrose for a tenner
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Despite issues with certain types on flights and boozy brunches etc I'd still say I felt "safer" in COVID terms in the UAE than the UK. As I mentioned previously there was a big difference for me between public transport there and here in the UK in terms of mask compliance for instance.
NoY and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sunsearchers
That's where I'll be staying, all going well. Can't imagine that will appeal to the boozed up and behaving badly sorts.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by u01sss3
That's where I'll be staying, all going well. Can't imagine that will appeal to the boozed up and behaving badly sorts.
Indeed. A great choice. If you do venture out, there's a nice terrace bar at the Radisson, and Cafe Artois at the JW Marriott is a great place to sit outside while the sun goes down. Chav free zone.
IAMORGAN and u01sss3 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Is the testing on arrival in DXB still available for UK passengers or with the new strain this has to be a negative test before flying?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by AAtticus
Is the testing on arrival in DXB still available for UK passengers or with the new strain this has to be a negative test before flying?

Free testing on arrival still available. Although i can see DXB changing this soon once the New Years Eve tourist season is over.
AAtticus likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Indeed. A great choice. If you do venture out, there's a nice terrace bar at the Radisson, and Cafe Artois at the JW Marriott is a great place to sit outside while the sun goes down. Chav free zone.
Thanks for the tips. Peace and quiet is my preference!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Cafe Artois at the JW Marriott is a great place to sit outside while the sun goes down. Chav free zone.
Not when me and Phil are in there...
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Not when me and Phil are in there...
I couldn't possibly comment...
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The loads for these flights still seem very high. Is this a route that is going to make it though T4 without cancellations? Will people booked in late Jan still get to fly? Asking for a friend.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.