Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Maybe another glimmer of hope.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52983756
You're missing this one:

Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Show me where anyone said “anyone not towing the UNITE line being accused of being a BA plant” ?
I didn't say they did. I was just putting forward a suggestion with no facts or evidence to back it up, just speculation on my part.

Just like your comments on BA plants
ScienceTeacher and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
  1. BA’s conduct. BA’s approach to these things has gone from bad to absolutely ghastly in recent years. OK, you need to make cuts: why being gratuitously nasty?
And how would you describe threatening to go on strike over Christmas holidays with the specific intention of ruining as many peoples holidays as possible?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Agent69
And how would you describe threatening to go on strike over Christmas holidays with the specific intention of ruining as many peoples holidays as possible?
Off topic.
cbagent, Tocsin, mguinness and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:44 pm

When was a strike held on Christmas?
Besides, I hope you're realising the ridiculousness of matching this with people losing their livelihoods, right?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:15 pm

When was a strike held on Christmas?
Besides, I hope you're realising the ridiculousness of matching this with people losing their livelihoods, right?
I didn't say a strike was held on Christmas, I sad it was threatened. I believe this was during the MF dispute where UNITE called a strike over christmas, but it was stayed by the courts, due to irregularities in the balloting process.

Regarding your second point, I am not suggesting that you can compare losing a holiday with losing a job. However, in my opinion, most people would consider calling industrial action at a point intended to cause maximum disruption to members of the public was at best an underhand tactic, and falls well within the defenition of gratuitously nasty.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:32 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I didn't say a strike was held on Christmas, I sad it was threatened. I believe this was during the MF dispute where UNITE called a strike over christmas, but it was stayed by the courts, due to irregularities in the balloting process.

Regarding your second point, I am not suggesting that you can compare losing a holiday with losing a job. However, in my opinion, most people would consider calling industrial action at a point intended to cause maximum disruption to members of the public was at best an underhand tactic, and falls well within the defenition of gratuitously nasty.
Well now, as you've noted, strike action isn't something that can be taken on a whim. Proper procedures need to be followed and it isn't something that is done lightly. There are financial implications to those taking strike action. Therefore it makes sense to get the biggest bang for your buck, if you will - a notion that I'm sure all highly powered business people can get behind.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
MPs propose taking away BA's Heathrow slots over job cuts

Several British Members of Parliament, including the chairman of the Transport Select Committee, Huw Merriman, have called for the government to penalise British Airways (BA, London Heathrow) for job cuts by taking away the carrier's coveted slots at London Heathrow.

"Many of us are concerned that companies are using this pandemic as a justification to slash jobs and employment terms. Step forward British Airways... Will the Department [of Transport] ask the Civil Aviation Authority to undertake an urgent review into reallocating lucrative landing slots at Heathrow from companies like British Airways, who indicate they are downsizing, and perhaps hand those to those companies that wish to expand and take on workers?", Merriman asked during a parliamentary sitting.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...-over-job-cuts
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:20 pm

Fair point...but I note you don’t mention BALPA who strategically called strikes over holidays.

You seem hell bent on trashing Unite and CC. Why?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:21 pm

But did it happen?

No it did not.

And, again, besides being off-topic, the impact is massively different. TfL goes on strike = I work from home; BA Pilots go on strike = I don't fly, or fly the following day, or fly with another airline, or get a full refund from the airline. Sure, it's annoying and in extreme cases very upsetting but... in the case you are comparing, BA doesn't offer early retirement or VR = I might lose my job and am significantly worse off. You can't compare the two.

Also, it's worth pointing out that strikes were not threatened because pilots wanted to keep their right to retire at 55 (see Lufthansa), have motorcycle messengers (Iberia) or because cabin crew wanted a +30% pay rise: in BALPA's case they were about T&Cs they gave up after 2008 and never got back, and in the case of MF they were to improve a little bit their pay and to stop having to do a TLV into a SEA or a three-day SCL. And they were called after breakdown in negotiations.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:33 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
......have motorcycle messengers (Iberia)...
You have lost me there, what was this about?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by BOH
You have lost me there, what was this about?
Reasons why other airline unions have sought to strike.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by WATP
You know, i could go on and on.
Please don’t.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Bingo! So this one sentence somewhat puts into perspective all the rantings in this thread by people absolutely insistent that BA is going to dismiss / sack / fire / make redundant tens of thousands of people and then offer them a job back at virtually poverty pay

Time for BA staff to finally see the light and rise up against the appalling union tactics. Wake up!!
Are you for real? Have you worked for BA under WW tenure?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
There is a genuine undercurrent of nastiness in this thread, and it is sad to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.