Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Selling off the family silver (or in this case, Art) will hopefully help: https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4464891.html
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
So to summarise:
  • I posted a factually acurate statement regarding unite calling strike action over the Christmas holiday period
  • In your eagerness to give me a good kicking and in an attempt to slap down my message you jump in head first without reading my post properly
  • I provide further details so that you can satisfy yourself that my original post was accurate
  • Instead of saying 'I'm sorry I mis-read your post', you go off on a tangent ranting about something else.

And people wonder why some of the postings on this thread are so fractious.
I ask again...why are you focussing on Unite? You fail to mention BALPAs recent strikes at BA which were called over holiday periods and caused massive inconvenience to the travelling public.
Please be fair in your posts and give a balanced view or CC could be forgiven to believe that you are biased.

I have no allegiance to any of these Unions but do believe the time is now here for talks to begin IF the talk of VR and buy down is genuine..
flygirl68 likes this.
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

Denigrating people by using smears such as red and commie just highlights the agenda of the poster and does them no favours.
Not in any way if it is a generally accepted nickname or moniker for someone based on how they have consistently behaved over a long period of time. Most union leaders seem to revel in having a nickname like that because it further reinforces their credentials.
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I agree that it's time to close this thread. Most, if not all, of the people best positioned to add further enlightenment to the discussion are no longer contributing to it. The rest is rehashing the same arguments over and over again in an increasingly aggressive manner that does the forum absolutely zero credit.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by peter h
And there seems to be a lot more bad PR around them these days when there's always a selfish member of the public popping up to complain about strikers ruining their life.
To play devils advocate: the member of the public could be a low paid worker struggling to commute by rail during a train or tube drivers strike, on whom the subtleties of an esoteric disagreement over who should open a door are lost. Not all train commuters are stockbrokers heading to town from Surrey, for example. 🙂
BOH likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:10 am
BOH

Originally Posted by V10
I agree that it's time to close this thread. Most, if not all, of the people best positioned to add further enlightenment to the discussion are no longer contributing to it. The rest is rehashing the same arguments over and over again in an increasingly aggressive manner that does the forum absolutely zero credit.
How strange, I dont see an ounce of aggression, just an increasing frustration by many that some people are not buying into the very aggressive anti-BA, pro-union agenda being peddled. Is that what you meant? 😊
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOH
Not in any way...
Nope. Its just denigration.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:16 am
BOH

Originally Posted by richardwft
Nope. Its just denigration.
Then we shall politely disagree as we have on a few points. You might be too young to remember the self-styled Red Robbo union leader from the 70s that brought the old British Leyland to their knees. Yes, self-styled, he loved that nickname.
mguinness likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
If Mods feel the the need to intervene (Im not personally suggesting they should), perhaps freeze the thread for a day and then re-open?

The topic is clearly material to BA and BAEC and we should be able to discuss it on FT.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by krispy84
To play devils advocate: the member of the public could be a low paid worker struggling to commute by rail during a train or tube drivers strike, on whom the subtleties of an esoteric disagreement over who should open a door are lost. Not all train commuters are stockbrokers heading to town from Surrey, for example. 🙂
That's absolutely correct - and my comment was made with tongue in cheek. It's just that there's more mileage to be had in the media from someone complaining about something (especially if it fits the publisher's agenda) - you don't hear from many thwarted travelers praising the striking tube drivers, for instance
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
Wow this has really turned into a nasty thread...
What is so nasty about this thread? Is is that everybody is not speaking in one voice? People are expressing their opinions, and it is obvious that some opinions irritate some people. It is also obvious that some would rather appeal to emotions. Perhaps we should not have threads like this on a frequent travelers' forum, as employment relations is an emotional topic. But if a thread like this exists then people should not expect other people to conform to a single point of view.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
I believe the poster is referring to the general secretary of Unite, Len McCluskey.

Denigrating people by using smears such as red and commie just highlights the agenda of the poster and does them no favours.
I don't think I have ever referred to him as commie, and this just appears to be another post trying to play the man and not the ball. Mr McCluskey is colloquially referred to as Red Len by many people, especially those in the media. When you consider what he currently has on his plate, being called Red is probably the least of his problems.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:34 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

MP Gavin Newlands presented a bill in Parliament to make Fire and Rehire illegal, following latest news from BA.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Agent69
...Mr McCluskey is colloquially referred to as Red Len by many people, especially those in the media....
I keep away from those people and the media, theres no need to bring denigrating 3 letter words here.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
MP Gavin Newlands presented a bill in Parliament to make Fire and Rehire illegal, following latest news from BA.

Though even he doesn't think it will have much success

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.