Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
It is a big ask, but if your union are refusng to talk, what alternatives are there.
But BALPA have talked, and look what that got them.
There are other options but WW, and let’s face it he is running the show not Cruz, ( Where is he, by the way) will not negotiate any other ideas. And when you look the offer MOL has made to his employees I think you can see that WWS agenda is.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
This post has made me realise that I actually don’t want to read anymore views on here. It really beggars belief that anyone normal could actually pen a post like this.

Goodby
Agree with you. It can be dismal reading.
Everyone reacts differently to all the job losses. Mentally and physically. To say she can just take a gap year when her parents are unemployed or they can downsize their house is laughable.
There are some here who show no empathy, neither do they know how WW works.
There is no negotiating with WW. It’s his way or no way.
​​​​​​.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
There is a genuine undercurrent of nastiness in this thread, and it is sad to see.
There is. It’s a shame.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:04 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by delores
Are you for real? Have you worked for BA under WW tenure?
No but I have worked with many large companies and most CEOs have the same mindset if facing either a constantly changing market or relentless competitive pressure. If you have both operating together then you must be very focused on costs.

It's called the real world I believe?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Agent69
However, in my opinion, most people would consider calling industrial action at a point intended to cause maximum disruption to members of the public was at best an underhand tactic, and falls well within the defenition of gratuitously nasty.
I think that you are mistaken. When the only weapon an employee thinks that they have left is to withdraw their labour, the timing would be intended to cause maximum disruption to their employer. What union would ever say: 'we should call a strike, so what's the quietest time of the year? We don't want to cause the bosses any problems'.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Will100
I broadly disagree with your interpretation.

His comments on the June date suggested, to me, that he thought a deal would be done.

It’s quite OK for him to speak, he is more senior than Alex. He was also quite clear about Alex’s pay, no bonus no pay rise last year.

He also answered quite well given the goading nature of the interview with various ‘facts’ taken from union propaganda and suspect red tops.

I support the staff, but I find it incredible how one sided the posts on this forum are.
I think you will find, if you do some research, that Alex had a hefty pay rise September 2019.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:19 am
BOH

Agree with you. It can be dismal reading.
Everyone reacts differently to all the job losses. Mentally and physically. To say she can just take a gap year when her parents are unemployed or they can downsize their house is laughable.
There are some here who show no empathy, neither do they know how WW works.
There is no negotiating with WW. It’s his way or no way.
​​​​​​.
Trying to put this politely.....it takes two to negotiate and be willing and from what your sentence describes it also sounds exactly like the union position? Which is that unless BA withdraw the S188s the union will not discuss anything. Period. From the union perspective is that not, "their way or no way"?

I would say BA and WW do have a history of negotiated settlements. At the risk of repeating what both myself and others have said on here, negotiation always starts with one party stating an extreme, hard position but 99.99% of time that is not their end position, they work back from that by conceding here, conceding there and the other party does the same until an agreed position is reached. How will the unions know what is on offer if they won't sit down and find out that what WW is saying is undoubtedly not what is actually on offer? The unions way or no way from where I sit.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:20 am
BOH

Originally Posted by peter h
I think that you are mistaken. When the only weapon an employee thinks that they have left is to withdraw their labour, the timing would be intended to cause maximum disruption to their employer. What union would ever say: 'we should call a strike, so what's the quietest time of the year? We don't want to cause the bosses any problems'.
But by default that is also at maximum disruption to the passengers too?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:24 am
BOH

I think you will find, if you do some research, that Alex had a hefty pay rise September 2019.
Then WW is going to have some massive egg on his face and a huge loss of integrity and credibility as in a radio interview only 2 days ago he categorically denied that AC had received either a pay rise or a bonus in 2019. Unless I didn't hear that correctly but I recall he was pressed on this a couple of times and he really denied it both times.

It will surely be in the BA Accounts in the future so he would have a lot to lose if this pay rise claim was subsequently found to be true.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by BOH
No but I have worked with many large companies and most CEOs have the same mindset if facing either a constantly changing market or relentless competitive pressure. If you have both operating together then you must be very focused on costs.

It's called the real world I believe?
But not all CEOs are the same. As we are discussing aviation here, you only have to look at what other airlines are doing.
There are ways I just think you are too blind to see the alternatives and are naive about WW intentions.
I am quite accustomed to living in the real world, thank you.
flygirl68 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Trying to put this politely.....it takes two to negotiate and be willing and from what your sentence describes it also sounds exactly like the union position? Which is that unless BA withdraw the S188s the union will not discuss anything. Period. From the union perspective is that not, "their way or no way"?

I would say BA and WW do have a history of negotiated settlements. At the risk of repeating what both myself and others have said on here, negotiation always starts with one party stating an extreme, hard position but 99.99% of time that is not their end position, they work back from that by conceding here, conceding there and the other party does the same until an agreed position is reached. How will the unions know what is on offer if they won't sit down and find out that what WW is saying is undoubtedly not what is actually on offer? The unions way or no way from where I sit.
Explain the BALPA position
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by BOH
But by default that is also at maximum disruption to the passengers too?
Do you see teachers striking in the summer holidays, or air traffic controllers choosing a quiet weekend in January to work to rule?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:46 am

By negotiating, BALPA have managed to at least win and enhanced voluntary redundancy package, preferential terms and arrangements for those who wish to take up the armed forces support scheme and other external job opportunities.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:49 am
BOH

Originally Posted by peter h
Do you see teachers striking in the summer holidays, or air traffic controllers choosing a quiet weekend in January to work to rule?
No but I am of the belief that over time, history has shown striking rarely achieves the goal the strikers are aiming for. History is littered with companies where the end game was simply fewer jobs or total closure of their industry because they became uncompetitive and did not react to a changing market and competition.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:52 am
BOH

What JFX1764 said above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.