FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2016675-ba-cut-up-12-000-jobs-restructuring-redundancy-programme.html)

Will100 Apr 28, 2020 10:28 am

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Quite a large number just announced on BBC.

Any more knowledge here?

Whyone Apr 28, 2020 10:31 am

The 'large number' being reported on BBC Breaking News is 12,000 people.

pauldb Apr 28, 2020 10:32 am

Announced with brought forward Q1 results. https://otp.tools.investis.com/clien...newsid=1388295

T8191 Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Whyone (Post 32331643)
The 'large number' being reported on BBC Breaking News is 12,000 people.

Awful news, but the way things have been going it was almost inevitable. Sympathy and ‘good luck’ to those impacted,

South London Bon Viveur Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

Grim news, but not surprising, after the SAS announcement. I always anticipated that BA would be quite swift in taking such action. What none of the stories say (but people on here with inside knowledge might be able to reveal) is where those redundancies are, which areas of the business and what the timescales are. Hopefully a good few will be voluntary and with decent packages......

NWIFlyer Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am

The relevant section of the IAG advice for the quarter is:

In light of the impact of COVID-19 on current operations and the expectation that the recovery of passenger demand to 2019 levels will take several years, British Airways is formally notifying its trade unions about a proposed restructuring and redundancy programme. The proposals remain subject to consultation but it is likely that they will affect most of British Airways' employees and may result in the redundancy of up to 12,000 of them.

As previously announced, British Airways has availed itself of the UK's COVID-19 Job Retention Scheme and furloughed 22,626 employees in April.
“Most” suggests this falls across all areas of the business.

scubaccr Apr 28, 2020 10:40 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/115019...ers-redundant/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wners-IAG.html

I guess BA are having to dig in financially for the longhaul timewise , effect of Covid on travel, reduced demand and spend on Flights/Hotels/Hoildays is almost bound to last more than 12months

Will100 Apr 28, 2020 10:41 am

Very tough times, let's hope it is enough and we passengers return in time.

Young82 Apr 28, 2020 10:47 am

It is probably more complicated that this, and I have no idea what area of the business is impacted - but if making 12,000 redundant, when you consider they furloughed 23,000 - are they assuming 50% capacity for a few years?

Oaxaca Apr 28, 2020 10:47 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur (Post 32331667)
Grim news, but not surprising, after the SAS announcement. I always anticipated that BA would be quite swift in taking such action. What none of the stories say (but people on here with inside knowledge might be able to reveal) is where those redundancies are, which areas of the business and what the timescales are. Hopefully a good few will be voluntary and with decent packages......

With over 25% of BA staff expected to go, not much will be untouched. It's a bit iffy to be doing this while taking the taxpayer coin for a Job Retention Scheme, suspect BA intends the redundancies to coincide with the ending of the scheme, whenever that will be. This scale of redundancy will be minimum 45 day collective consultation in any case (thought it used to be 90, but could be wrong).

navylad Apr 28, 2020 10:48 am

Tragic news and as I said earlier today when I mentioned on the Cargo thread I’d heard rumours, my thoughts really go out to all BA employees at this incredible difficult time.

My understanding is that this will include redundancies across the board from flight (rumoured to be 850) and cabin crew, maintainable, ground staff, call centres, operations, HR and other administrators.

Ths is a consultation at this stage, and ensures that there is sufficient notice to employees to provide flexibility with the approach as things continue to change at pace, including any extension to the government Furlough scheme.

I hope that none of the redundancies will take place whilst the job retention scheme remains in force. I know others feel this is ‘iffy’, but I think it is actually about being a good employer and has been factored in to the HMT modelling, including the hope that it will actually result in less job loss when there is more clarity.

Never Stansted Apr 28, 2020 10:49 am

What terrible news. Thoughts are with all of those affected.

The indirect consequences of our reaction to this will be with us for decades.

Swampz64 Apr 28, 2020 10:50 am

A friend owns several international businesses, one of which has 4 board meetings a year across the globe, each meeting costs around $100k excluding the salaries of the directors. They’ve held a zoom board meeting during the shutdown and he sees no reason why 3 of the 4 meetings each year cannot be done remotely, they save $300k and staff are not spending two days per meeting travelling.

I think there will be tens of thousands of businesses changing their practises and it will have a massive impact on airlines, airports and business centric hotels around the world going forward.

BAeuro Apr 28, 2020 10:55 am

My thoughts go out to everyone at this uncertain time.

It shows that BA will definitely be a smaller airline after all this, with fewer aircraft, routes and most improbably customers and staff.

chriswiles Apr 28, 2020 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Will100 (Post 32331633)
Quite a large number just announced on BBC.

Any more knowledge here?

Just that in Q1 IAG lost €535m and most of this was due to BA and that IAG expects Q2 to be even worse.

Things will never be the same again. I was reading this morning that some countries view the UK as so far behind in terms of lockdown and potential cases that they are likely to close their border to us until December.