Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread gives the current catering options for the LHR T5 Concorde Room (all day) and First Dining Room within the LHR T3 Galleries First lounge (after 18:30). Eligible passengers include BA First ticket holders, Premier and Concorde Room cardholders. The catering in both lounges is supplied by BaxterStorey, who took over the contract on 2 May 2013.

The current catering options in the LHR CCR can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. In addition, there are a selection of bar snacks available, details found in post 8 or you can click here.

There are also photo guides (updated with December menus) which you can see in the following linked posts:
Concorde Room (CCR) at JFK
Please see this thread which is now dedicated to food and drink at all none LHR Concorde Rooms and Bars
Concorde Rooms and Bars: JFK, IAD, SIN, DXB - food and drink - 2017 thread

Also there is an archive of JFK CCR menus in post #14 of that thread which covers September 2015 to date.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2016 (n.b. no separate 2017 or 2018 thread) - T3 & T5
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options - T3 and T5

For the First and Club lounges at Gatwick and the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, Aberdeen, and Inverness
First Lounge London Gatwick Catering options
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014-2018 threads)
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangements from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014-2018 threads)

BA Champagne & Wine thread
The LHR CCR cocktail menu - cocktail menu introduced May 2014
The 2017 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air

Archived food & drink threads
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2017
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2016
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2015
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2014
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2013
Concorde Dining Room IAD: menus and food options - see new Concorde Rooms and Bars: JFK, IAD, SIN, DXB linked above
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2015 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)
The 2016 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights
Print Wikipost

Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Like the poster above, I too doubt they are made on site. It is very easy to fork meat apart, whether prepared from scratch or bought in. The main time involved is in the cooking from scratch. If done authentically, it is tasty, as lots of people will attest.

If a scone is so stale that staff have to toast it (their admission), it's not a good sign. I don't expect just baked, homemade perfection. Just fresh enough to eat without turning to sawdust. Not an unreasonable standard, I'd have thought.
Fair enough re staleness - but the scone isn't a CCR offering! You are applying your expectations of CCR standards to a product from a different lounge, which they were happy to source for you despite not being on the menu. Another way of looking at this is the excellent service that the staff provided in seeking to please you by accommodating your request to have an afternoon tea which isn't a CCR offering. What's the expression? Don't look a gift horse-lamp in the mouth
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:13 am

Whilst we know the CCRs are not the "epitome of elegance" (Source: BA.com) that BA try to market, but overall the food provisions are not bad, just lacking in variety for those that are there more than once a month. Whilst I may only visit 2 or 3 times per month personally, the repetition does get a little tiresome. On the other hand, show me a dedicated First lounge anywhere that doesn't suffer the same issue (and this is including the LH FCT, LX ZRH E, QF LAX etc etc).

The starters, for me, are basic, and the stuffed peppers are poor (think they've been on the menu twice now). On the other hand, the tomato and burrata started served I think in JFK during July was truly excellent ^. Fish based starters for me are not my thing really (personal taste) but I do recognise that the fish/seafood platter has been popular.

Mains generally are wholesome and of a decent quality that. I do like the Sunday Roast option - it shows that BA are trying to be varied in their menu, so I did appreciate the attempt (even if the gravy I was served on its launch day was cold ). The lamb triangles they served last month were poor in my opinion, but then again got decent reviews here.

Deserts are the strong point of the CCRs, and the ice cream they serve is of good quality (and let's just say I know a thing or two about ice cream). The varied takes on different styled deserts are generally very satisfying.

What I'm saying is, a lot of it comes down to personal tastes. Some people want/expect fine dining, others who may have been on the go for 20+ hours just want some comfort and peace. I appreciate that BA cannot cater for everyone here, especially due to the size of their F cabins/density versus other carriers.

Overall, I'm just glad I don't have to go into the school dinners canteen that is the GF, with suits striding up and down bellowing into their mobile phones. The CCR is a solid lounge, and provided you go in with expectations that you will not be dining 3*, but a filling meal in a timely fashion, then it meets the job. The staff are usually good, but I do not enjoy my time in the LHR CCR when there is one specific supervisor on duty since he is directing the traffic, so to speak, and the staff get pushed and pulled in different directions (regulars will know what I mean) and the service gets somewhat disjointed. Other times, it can be calm and natural.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Fair enough re staleness - but the scone isn't a CCR offering! You are applying your expectations of CCR standards to a product from a different lounge, which they were happy to source for you despite not being on the menu. Another way of looking at this is the excellent service that the staff provided in seeking to please you by accommodating your request to have an afternoon tea which isn't a CCR offering. What's the expression? Don't look a gift horse-lamp in the mouth
It is a CCR offering whether it is on the menu or not. BA tell people that afternoon tea is available in the CCR. They have done so as long as I have used the CCR. I've ordered it only once and got the toasted stale scone with dried up sandwich fingers that I mentioned. A gift horse-lamp would have bolted at the sight of it.

I was fond of the CCR. The changes over the last years have not impressed. If it improves, I'll be the first to offer praise. I've read some points I agree with in the above posts. Some I don't. I don't have high or unrealistic expectations. The things I would like corrected are very basic.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Your analogy makes no sense. A more apt comparison would be staying at a good hotel and requesting (through room service) a scone from their restaurant. I'd expect a fresh scone, if available. Popping down to SPAR for a pack of long life scones is not something I'd anticipate.
Well, no, that analogy does not work. My point was precisely that their restaurant does not do scones so all they offer is the convenience to source it from another restaurant! So here, your room service menu - if that is the analogy you want to use, is merely offering to get you scones from the next door hotel if you want.

You say that BA tells customers that they offer afternoon in the lounge, but if they do, I do not know where. I have never seen BA advertise that. A few of us know that BA will source tea from the F lounge if you ask (fat chance that I ever would but that is another matter!) but to my knowledge this is not publicised/advertised and certainly not well known, and it is just that - the convenience of getting you something from other lounges if you want. The same was true by the way of ice cream before it became official on the F menu.

PS: The burger has been on the lounge menu for years. Eating the same burger in the lounge (as opposed to the restaurant) doesn't magically transform the dish. I see a new item (falafel wrap) above, which someone kindly photographed. I haven't tried that. The focus has been on more formal dining. Pulling those same dishes into the more causal setting isn't great choice, for me.

Yes, the burger and the club sandwich have been here for years. Not that I order the burger more than once a year at most myself as I am not a sandwich person, but I suspect that those are the two most popular items of the whole menu. Somehow, a lounge is also about offering diversity to frequent customers like us whilst maintaining some staple offerings for those who are a lot more occasional. A few years ago, the QF F lounge tried to replace the club sandwich on its menu at SYD/MEL and there was the closest thing to a revolution in Australia. However, there is always at least one further sandwichwrap option (the wrap you mention now but there were others before, they change every 2 months).

I was fond of the CCR. The changes over the last years have not impressed. If it improves, I'll be the first to offer praise. I've read some points I agree with in the above posts. Some I don't. I don't have high or unrealistic expectations. The things I would like corrected are very basic.

Actually, I personally think that it was worse pre-changes but that may just be me.

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Are 'pulled meats' convenient for the kitchen? Surely it is another job to pull the meat.
It is very convenient! As others said, it is just pre-prepared elsewhere, and the CCR barely reheats it. Lazy. By contrast, they have to cook the steak and I much prefer that!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
the repetition does get a little tiresome. On the other hand, show me a dedicated First lounge anywhere that doesn't suffer the same issue (and this is including the LH FCT, LX ZRH E, QF LAX etc etc).
That's the one part of your post I don't entirely agree with. I think that the QF SYD/MEL lounges have menus which, whilst they stay longer (3 months) vary a bit more with fewer dishes being recycled over and again (bar their "classics" - club sandwich, salt and pepper squid, seasonal fruit plate, and pavlova in a glass) - admittedly less so at the LAX lounge. They also have daily specials which the BA lounge does not. Same with AF P lounge menus which are a lot more seasonal and also have specials that change all the time. In the AF lounge, everything is also cooked from scratch. It is - for all practical purposes - an actual restaurant so you can go off menu a lot more easily (but again I think it is not a 'fair' point of comparison. It's almost too good to be compared!!!)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, no, that analogy does not work. My point was precisely that their restaurant does not do scones so all they offer is the convenience to source it from another restaurant! So here, your room service menu - if that is the analogy you want to use, is merely offering to get you scones from the next door hotel if you want.

You say that BA tells customers that they offer afternoon in the lounge, but if they do, I do not know where. I have never seen BA advertise that. A few of us know that BA will source tea from the F lounge if you ask (fat chance that I ever would but that is another matter!) but to my knowledge this is not publicised/advertised and certainly not well known, and it is just that - the convenience of getting you something from other lounges if you want. The same was true by the way of ice cream before it became official on the F menu.
No, your analogy fails again. The First Lounge is next door to the CCR. It is not another hotel or a separate entity like McDonalds (the comparison you used). It is more like ordering something in a hotel from an adjacent restaurant (or room service). British Airways, as others here know, don't do everything strictly by the menu. You can go 'off-piste' as some have mentioned. Just because you have not been aware that you can request afternoon tea in the CCR doesn't mean it does not exist. Just because they might use the same scones as the ones in the First Lounge does not mean that it is not a CCR offering. Do you think there is no crossover on other items? There are accounts online of people having afternoon tea in the CCR going back years. Afternoon tea is also advertised as being part of he CCR offering:

"The Concorde Bar serves complimentary champagne and wines, as well as freshly ground coffee and afternoon tea."

https://www.loungebuddy.co.uk/LHR/br...uth-XJ1g7FhXMW

You can continue labouring a moot point but the fact is that the CCR does serve afternoon tea on request and has always done since I have been using it. I have heard others request afternoon tea and receive it without question. From a customer point of view, it doesn't matter where it is sourced from. It is a CCR offering and should be of a decent standard, not stale.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Afternoon tea is also advertised as being part of he CCR offering:

"The Concorde Bar serves complimentary champagne and wines, as well as freshly ground coffee and afternoon tea."

orbitmic is correct, BA don't advertise the CCR as offering afternoon tea - it isn't on any of the menus. I am not sure a third party site is really something to cite to try and prove the opposite and it doesn't seem accurate anyway- what is "The Concorde Bar"?

Whilst you can post your opinion (and have done so several times now) on whether what you were served was up to standard a year ago, let's not get stuck arguing over something that is clearly isn't correct.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:42 am

... Afternoon tea is also advertised as being part of he CCR offering:

But that isn't a BA quote.

The CCR may serve afternoon tea, but that doesn't mean it is a CCR offering. I know of no menu, or BA marketing material, where the afternoon tea is offered as a CCR choice.

By your analogy, every product in the F and Galleries lounges would need to be up to your CCR standards for it to be acceptable, as every such product is available on request in the CCR. That seems unrealistic to me, and overly harsh an expectation.

Edited to add: crossed with KARFA
madfish and argonath like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:54 am

I should be in the CCR next Monday afternoon, so I’m going to order Afternoon Tea to see what happens
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
orbitmic is correct, BA don't advertise the CCR as offering afternoon tea - it isn't on any of the menus. I am not sure a third party site is really something to cite to try and prove the opposite and it doesn't seem accurate anyway- what is "The Concorde Bar"?

Whilst you can post your opinion (and have done so several times now) on whether what you were served was up to standard a year ago, let's not get stuck arguing over something that is clearly isn't correct.
I didn't claim it was a British Airways quote, did I? Not only that, I supplied the link showing the source. What I m saying, whether you know it or not, is that afternoon tea is supplied by British Airways in the CCR, on request. I didn't say it was on the menu, did I? Does that mean, according to your logic, that British Airways caterers have no responsibility for what they serve, if an item is shared across food outlets? Why do I care, as a customer, where the scone was sourced from? All i care about is that it is fresh and edible.

Does that mean the caterers should deliver stale food in the CCR? Of course not. Your arguments are pedantic on this issue. Why? I don't agree that the CCR offerings across the board are better now. I think the food is mediocre and the entire concept doesn't meet the needs of modern travellers. Mediocre, I expect with British Airways First Class. Stale food, no. I can agree to differ on opinion here. Can you?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Any scone which was fresh when this discussion started would be stale by now.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Any scone which was fresh when this discussion started would be stale by now.
And considering that the scone is questions was served over a year ago, I suspect even the CCR mouse would turn its nose up at it!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by madfish
And considering that the scone is questions was served over a year ago, I suspect even the CCR mouse would turn its nose up at it!
Mice. A few months ago, I did see two of them together in what looked like some romantic rodent stroll...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:32 am

Awww - mice love
orbitmic and KARFA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.