FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2018
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:13 am
rossmacd

Whilst we know the CCRs are not the "epitome of elegance" (Source: BA.com) that BA try to market, but overall the food provisions are not bad, just lacking in variety for those that are there more than once a month. Whilst I may only visit 2 or 3 times per month personally, the repetition does get a little tiresome. On the other hand, show me a dedicated First lounge anywhere that doesn't suffer the same issue (and this is including the LH FCT, LX ZRH E, QF LAX etc etc).

The starters, for me, are basic, and the stuffed peppers are poor (think they've been on the menu twice now). On the other hand, the tomato and burrata started served I think in JFK during July was truly excellent ^. Fish based starters for me are not my thing really (personal taste) but I do recognise that the fish/seafood platter has been popular.

Mains generally are wholesome and of a decent quality that. I do like the Sunday Roast option - it shows that BA are trying to be varied in their menu, so I did appreciate the attempt (even if the gravy I was served on its launch day was cold ). The lamb triangles they served last month were poor in my opinion, but then again got decent reviews here.

Deserts are the strong point of the CCRs, and the ice cream they serve is of good quality (and let's just say I know a thing or two about ice cream). The varied takes on different styled deserts are generally very satisfying.

What I'm saying is, a lot of it comes down to personal tastes. Some people want/expect fine dining, others who may have been on the go for 20+ hours just want some comfort and peace. I appreciate that BA cannot cater for everyone here, especially due to the size of their F cabins/density versus other carriers.

Overall, I'm just glad I don't have to go into the school dinners canteen that is the GF, with suits striding up and down bellowing into their mobile phones. The CCR is a solid lounge, and provided you go in with expectations that you will not be dining 3*, but a filling meal in a timely fashion, then it meets the job. The staff are usually good, but I do not enjoy my time in the LHR CCR when there is one specific supervisor on duty since he is directing the traffic, so to speak, and the staff get pushed and pulled in different directions (regulars will know what I mean) and the service gets somewhat disjointed. Other times, it can be calm and natural.