Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread gives the current catering options for the BA & third party lounges outside the Metropolis, namely Newcastle, Manchester, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, and Aberdeen. The catering supplier for the BA lounges was changed on 28 April 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2018
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2016 (n.b. no separate 2017 or 2018 thread) - T3 & T5
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options - T3 and T5

For the First and Club lounges at Gatwick and the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, Aberdeen, and Inverness
First Lounge London Gatwick Catering options
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangements from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)

BA Champagne & Wine thread
The LHR CCR cocktail menu - cocktail menu introduced May 2014
The 2017 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air

Archived food & drink threads
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2017
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2016
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2015
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2014
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2013
Concorde Dining Room IAD: menus and food options - see new Concorde Rooms and Bars: JFK, IAD, SIN, DXB linked above
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2015 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)
The 2016 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

This thread is to help explain the catering options for UK Domestic lounges outside the Metropolis. From 28 April 2013 the food and beverage arrangements were changed after BaxterStorey were awarded the catering contract. The lounges covered by this thread are Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle (at this stage). I don't have any specific information for Jersey or Belfast. Isle of Man and Leeds Bradford are third party lounges.

See this thread for details of the new London Gatwick First Lounge offering. The second post on that thread includes the note that BA are distributing to passengers to explain the changeover.

Housekeeping note: This thread is work in progress. Catering arrangements for LHR T3 and T5 has also changed, and I'll update the existing threads for Club, First and the Concorde Room lounges later today.

Breakfast
This is taken from Newcastle. Breakfast is now available until midday and is a sharply improved offering.

Cereals:

From top left - grapefruit segments, orange segments, Swiss muesli, corn flakes. Front row - greek yoghurt, strawberry yoghurt, rice krispies. Also available: Weetabix.

Porridge

There is now a heated porridge vat on offer, replacing the Quaker Oat tubs. The flavourings on offer are honey, cinnamon sugar and raisins. This is the first time in recent history that hot food has been served in this lounge.

Viennoiseries

From left: blueberry muffins, brioches, pains aux raisins, croissants, Danish pastries.

Note the Island Bakery Organics biscuits in the jars at the back (handmade on the Isle of Mull, and the best biscuits I have ever come across): Shortbread, apple crumble, lemon melts, chocolate ginger.

Fruit

Extended fruit options now include bananas, oranges, apples and pears.

Rest of the day

Soup
There are 4 soups on rotation, served from a vat. Today we have Mediterranean tomato and red pepper (vegetarian), served with assorted rolls, croutons, pumpkin seeds and chilli pieces. This is new for domestic lounges (apart from T1).

Sandwiches
New flavours, and tastier, though fewer options that previously.
* Gammon ham with grain mustard and rocket, on malted bread
* Lemon and herb chicken mayonnaise, on malted bread
* Free range egg mayonnaise with spinach, on malted bread (vegetarian)
* Mozzarella, tomato, and pesto mayonnaise, on red pepper bread (vegetarian).

Cake
Yes we have fruit cake, or rather Fruit Loaf. Also Maderia Cake, plus the Island Bakery Organic biscuits mentioned above.

In the fridge there is also some sort of carrot cake squares, along with Cornish clotted cream (so presumably there are scones around too).

Cheese
We used to have to make do with mini packs of plasticated mass produced cheese. Now are have advanced to English cheddar, English brie, and English stilton, along with Apple and cider chutney, oatcakes and Carrs' Water biscuits.

Nibbles
Replacing the small wrapped packets, we now have Avery jars of nibbles, flavours available today include fruit mix, chilli crackers and (out of the picture) British Airways Savoury Mix.

There are also 3 variety of Kettle Chips (no change): salted, cheese and chilli.

Comments
This is a significant improvement on the previous offering at domestic lounges. There are more food options, it is served more attractively, and the quality seems high. For example the previous croissants were low on taste and somewhat rubbery in texture, the new ones are lighter and more flavoursome. The biscuits have been switched from wrapped mass produced Walkers biscuits to a small company serving organically produced handmade biscuits. Indeed the general story is - at least some hot food, and a movement away from small wrapped packets of mass produced food, towards platters of tastier and more varied options. The staff are very pleased to see this change, even though it is a lot more work for them, simply because it adds a bit of pride to the offering. Well done British Airways and BaxterStorey!

Update information
29 April - opening post - breakfast options.
2 May - rest of the day menu.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 2, 2013 at 11:04 am Reason: see above.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help explain the catering options for UK Domestic lounges outside the Metropolis. From 28 April 2013 the food and beverage arrangements were changed after BaxterStorey were awarded the catering contract. The lounges covered by this thread are Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle (at this stage). I don't have any specific information for Jersey or Belfast. Isle of Man and Leeds Bradford are third party lounges.

See this thread for details of the new London Gatwick First Lounge offering.

Housekeeping note: This thread is work in progress. It will take me a few weeks to get around all the lounges, and in the past there were minor differences between the lounges. So any updates and photos would be welcome, and by all means PM them to me if you prefer. Catering arrangements for LHR T3 and T5 is due to change later in the week, and I'll update the existing threads for Club, First and the Concorde Room lounges on Thursday or Friday.

Breakfast
This is taken from Newcastle. Breakfast is now available until midday and is a sharply improved offering.

Cereals:

From top left - grapefruit segments, orange segments, Swiss muesli, corn flakes. Front row - greek yoghurt, strawberry yoghurt, rice krispies. Also available: Weetabix.

Porridge

There is now a heated porridge vat on offer, replacing the Quaker Oat tubs. The flavourings on offer are honey, cinnamon sugar and raisins. This is the first time in recent history that hot food has been served in this lounge.

Viennoiseries

From left: blueberry muffins, brioches, pains aux raisins, croissants, Danish pastries.

Note the Island Bakery Organics biscuits in the jars at the back (handmade on the Isle of Mull, and the best biscuits I have ever come across): Shortbread, apple crumble, lemon melts, chocolate ginger.

Fruit

Extended fruit options now include bananas, oranges, apples and pears.

Comments
This is a significant improvement on the previous offering at domestic lounges. There are more food options, it is served more attractively, and the quality seems high. For example the previous croissants were low on taste and somewhat rubbery in texture, the new ones are lighter and more flavoursome. The biscuits have been switched from wrapped mass produced Walkers biscuits to a small company serving organically produced handmade biscuits.

Update information
29 April - opening post - breakfast options.
What about fruitcake? Under normal circumstances Walkers Fruitcake is all I eat in lounges. Please say it's still there!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HilFly
What about fruitcake? Under normal circumstances Walkers Fruitcake is all I eat in lounges. Please say it's still there!
Fruitcake is gone! Happily we still have Fruitcake. I believe there are now cake options between 3pm and 5pm.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
... And those large fairtrade chocolate chip cookies. Are they gone? I absolutely love them
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
... And those large fairtrade chocolate chip cookies. Are they gone? I absolutely love them
Yep! But I really doubt you will miss them after you have tried the replacement biscuits.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
At GLA yesterday they had ginger biscuits half-covered in chocolate. Rather yummy. They were stored in a jar and so not wrapped which makes them more difficult to steal!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:51 am

Glad this isn't happening at Domestic Lounge T1 LHR - we would never cope with the choice!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tuff
At GLA yesterday they had ginger biscuits half-covered in chocolate. Rather yummy. They were stored in a jar and so not wrapped which makes them more difficult to steal!
How big is the jar?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by tuff
It also makes it quite unhygienic!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:25 am

Fruitcake is gone! Happily we still have Fruitcake. I believe there are now cake options between 3pm and 5pm.
Much as I love my Fruitcake, I still want my fruitcake!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I did actually think that at the time - there were no tongs so I had to make sure I pulled out all the ones I had touched!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yep! But I really doubt you will miss them after you have tried the replacement biscuits.
I hope you are right! I'll get to find out on Friday at LGW
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Looks rather good! I'm London based so unlikely to see these often but I am happy that BA is looking after it's other UK bases
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed.

Those open bowls of cereal and yoghurt are a bit of a turn off for me. There are a lot of people about who don't posses buffet etiquette. A pet hate of mine at hotel breakfast buffets are those who use the baked bean serving spoon for spooning out the scrambled eggs.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
They've introduced Rice Krispies at the outstations! Hurrah! *does little dance of joy*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.