FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:28 am
HilFly

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help explain the catering options for UK Domestic lounges outside the Metropolis. From 28 April 2013 the food and beverage arrangements were changed after BaxterStorey were awarded the catering contract. The lounges covered by this thread are Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle (at this stage). I don't have any specific information for Jersey or Belfast. Isle of Man and Leeds Bradford are third party lounges.

See this thread for details of the new London Gatwick First Lounge offering.

Housekeeping note: This thread is work in progress. It will take me a few weeks to get around all the lounges, and in the past there were minor differences between the lounges. So any updates and photos would be welcome, and by all means PM them to me if you prefer. Catering arrangements for LHR T3 and T5 is due to change later in the week, and I'll update the existing threads for Club, First and the Concorde Room lounges on Thursday or Friday.

Breakfast
This is taken from Newcastle. Breakfast is now available until midday and is a sharply improved offering.

Cereals:

From top left - grapefruit segments, orange segments, Swiss muesli, corn flakes. Front row - greek yoghurt, strawberry yoghurt, rice krispies. Also available: Weetabix.

Porridge

There is now a heated porridge vat on offer, replacing the Quaker Oat tubs. The flavourings on offer are honey, cinnamon sugar and raisins. This is the first time in recent history that hot food has been served in this lounge.

Viennoiseries

From left: blueberry muffins, brioches, pains aux raisins, croissants, Danish pastries.

Note the Island Bakery Organics biscuits in the jars at the back (handmade on the Isle of Mull, and the best biscuits I have ever come across): Shortbread, apple crumble, lemon melts, chocolate ginger.

Fruit

Extended fruit options now include bananas, oranges, apples and pears.

Comments
This is a significant improvement on the previous offering at domestic lounges. There are more food options, it is served more attractively, and the quality seems high. For example the previous croissants were low on taste and somewhat rubbery in texture, the new ones are lighter and more flavoursome. The biscuits have been switched from wrapped mass produced Walkers biscuits to a small company serving organically produced handmade biscuits.

Update information
29 April - opening post - breakfast options.
What about fruitcake? Under normal circumstances Walkers Fruitcake is all I eat in lounges. Please say it's still there!