Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, just to clarify this a little more, LGW has a totally different menu, even the butter is different. If you browse upthread, any tray with Elle et Vire on it (as opposed to Président) is LGW. The menu is standardised like LHR with 3 constantly returning rotations, with a shuffle between outbound and inbound between rotations, so also like LHR. However the actual meal items are completely different between LHR and LGW.

So Rotation C for LGW can be found in this post 1221.
Thanks - that is helpful! I am flying CE from LHR and LGW in November, usually order VLML, but occasionally like fish - trying to work out whether it will be available, or even a veggie from Gatters. TLL and SVQ are my destinations.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Thanks - that is helpful! I am flying CE from LHR and LGW in November, usually order VLML, but occasionally like fish - trying to work out whether it will be available, or even a veggie from Gatters. TLL and SVQ are my destinations.
November should have the cod outbound, salmon inbound for LHR. We'll have to find someone who can add the Gatwick patterns, but one of the two meals from/to LGW on each pair looks like a vegetarian (pasta or curry) meal, so you should be covered for mains, although the starter might be a bit more of a lottery.

From the link CWS has posted for LGW it does look like at least one of the starters is fish (salmon) and one veggie (poached pear and stilton, though you might not be too fond of blue cheese). For LHR I seem to recall that the inbound flight which has the salmon and linguine for main has smoked duck breast as an appetizer, so not so good if you don't eat meat. The lack of a seafood option probably means ordering a veggie meal from LHR if you want to eat all courses.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
We'll have to find someone who can add the Gatwick patterns
I've had a go in the wiki at this, but it's relying on my memory, and there are also a number of complexities involved.

We have clear menus for LGW Rotation C, both directions, but I'm not sure we have A or B in photo form again in both directions. It would be helpful if the bottom information isn't cropped off any picture since the Rotation is itemised there.

Then there is LCY-STN.......[though there aren't many Long category flights]
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:14 am

Thanks! That's very kind of you!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
November ... For LHR I seem to recall that the inbound flight which has the salmon and linguine for main has smoked duck breast as an appetizer, so not so good if you don't eat meat. The lack of a seafood option probably means ordering a veggie meal from LHR if you want to eat all courses.
I guess you mean starter both ways, so I take your point about VLML if I want to guarantee eating the whole meal.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BCN to LGW this weekend. I'd actually ordered a kosher meal (just because i was bored of the chicken salad this month) but despite being confirmed in MMB and by email, it wasn't loaded, in fact the crew didn't even seem aware I'd ordered a special meal. Anyway, I got this... which I assume is a standard vegetarian meal? Quite nice, although it came with a nasty reduced fat margarine instead of butter, and it could have used a dressing.

Other observations - only 4 croque monsieurs were loaded (for a cabin of, I think, 26). Crew not at all proactive with drinks refills but the champagne still ran out halfway through the flight. Pretty poor really, and a total contrast to the outward flight which was excellent with superb crew.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by volar
Quite nice, although it came with a nasty reduced fat margarine instead of butter, and it could have used a dressing.
Ah, nah, BA don't do dressings in CE, that's against their beliefs!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ah, nah, BA don't do dressings in CE, that's against their beliefs!
The chicken salad on the outbound came with a little sachet of balsamic dressing which was actually quite good, it would have been nice with this salad too!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:51 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Yes, I fear so, she has raised the issue 3 times in 3 separate threads.....
She wasn’t aware that she’d raised it three times, but I still haven’t had an answer as to why. Personally I think it’s far better quality than the old butter but I find it strange.

Last night LGW - ALC the butter was Lescure which is even better quality. We had the Pear with Stilton starter, I had the red pepper Tortellini and Him Indoors had the Chicken curry. Both were delicious. There was a Cheddar to die for, and a chocolate orange tart. I don’t care for the flavour of orange with chocolate so I didn’t eat much. They load six bottles of Champagne out of Gatwick amd Eight out of Heathrow I am told.

Honestly long band has done really well out of the changes. Now if they just got some trays that were big enough for all this food.

I also asked about trimming the service if there’s a heavy load in CE. Yes, I was told we do if there’s a heavy load and a short flying time as there simply is not time to get everyone served. This makes sense. How they would get a Long Catering done with a heavy load to BCN for example, I cannot imagine.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Why, during the service, do some crew take the effort to greet you by surname and some don’t? Is there no consistency taught in the service delivery? On another note, since regaining my gold card earlier this year, not once have I had a purser greet me personally. The other night, I was the only gold card holder in CE (I could see the iPad list from my seat in 1C) and there was absolutely no difference in how I was asked what meal I wanted or what drink I wanted. In fact the crew were so flippant in their delivery style that I was tempted to offer personal feedback at the end of the flight.

Also, why do crew not start with the drinks round first? Surely to god it’s better to offer people a drink first and then the salad/panini than the other way round. There is ample time to do drinks first, so can’t understand why experienced crews like BAs can’t see this?

On a CE Flight with say a small number of passengers, it would be so lovey if the crew could use their initiative and deliver the service by hand from the galley, as opposed to using the trolley in the aisle. It would give business class a more restaurant feel.

Oh and i am getting very tired of the chicken salad or duck salad and I can’t even eat the dry and tasteless paninis.

Anyway, just a few observations from my travels.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by highexpectations
Why, during the service, do some crew take the effort to greet you by surname and some don’t? Is there no consistency taught in the service delivery?
In my case at least being greeted by surname is the exception rather than the rule. It happens rarely.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by highexpectations
Also, why do crew not start with the drinks round first? Surely to god it’s better to offer people a drink first and then the salad/panini than the other way round. There is ample time to do drinks first, so can’t understand why experienced crews like BAs can’t see this?
It really seems to be down to the enthusiasm of the particular crew. LGW-BCN last week, the service pattern was a drinks run with nuts, food run (from the trolley) with more drinks offered, then a further run with the trolley to clear up, offer tea and coffee and more drinks. BCN-LGW coming back the crew just did a single run with the trolley for food with drinks at the same time then came back with the trolley to clear up. Anything else had to be requested by catching somebody's eye or using the call bell. This was not through lack of time - the flying time was more than 2 hours due to head winds, and both were dinner time flights on the same aircraft type with similar CE loads. I've said before on here that I'm quite a fan of Club Europe in general, but I find these inconsistencies annoying.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
She wasn’t aware that she’d raised it three times, but I still haven’t had an answer as to why. Personally I think it’s far better quality than the old butter but I find it strange.
Oh I just thought Mme. was dissatisfied by my answers in post 1461 above, click here. There may be another reason, but the results of tendering, which is now centralised by IAG in Kraków, seems the most plausible.

How they would get a Long Catering done with a heavy load to BCN for example, I cannot imagine.
BCN (and indeed MAD) are in the medium band so they just get the abbreviated service. A huge amount of negative feedback in this thread would have been avoided if they simply served the hot item from the Long menu, and ditched the starter, on these routes. So a one tray solution and would allow process simplification since these routes would also become breakfast/rest of the day.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by volar
It really seems to be down to the enthusiasm of the particular crew.

I've said before on here that I'm quite a fan of Club Europe in general, but I find these inconsistencies annoying.
I think you make a good point in your full post regarding what can often seem a huge variation in onboard service standards, and thus the overall experience - depending on the crew on any particular sector.

But then as a regular you should be used to this ! After all, one of the hallmarks of current-day BA (and for which they should be given, ahem, credit ) is their consistent inconsistency.
volar likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
BCN (and indeed MAD) are in the medium band so they just get the abbreviated service. A huge amount of negative feedback in this thread would have been avoided if they simply served the hot item from the Long menu, and ditched the starter, on these routes. So a one tray solution and would allow process simplification since these routes would also become breakfast/rest of the day.
Indeed, one tray service with hot item, cheese and dessert, as simple as that - basically what they used to do before on band 3s

But I am going to bet that the starter option makes the overall spend on CE meals far more neutral to what it was before they introduced CE on domestics. Doing hot on all mediums and starters on short/domestic would have required a far more significant increase in catering budget, clearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.