Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
As I've just booked CE flights to AGP for May, even though both were going to be Afternoon Tea, I was pleasantly surprised to see I'll be getting full meals!

I look forward to seeing the menus.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
3) Marginal winner: Band 4: cosmetic improvements on crockery, china, etc supposedly better wine.
Isn't there going to be a starter for Band 4/long?

I know we used to get canapes, and then we got breadsticks instead, and then it became 'cheese OR pudding', then we got salad instead of the breadsticks, and then the salad got scrapped (from memory) but cheese AND pudding were restored.

If we are getting a starter, cheese AND pudding (as well as the hot main), that would be a proper improvement or at least restoration of the old band 4 pattern of getting 'something' before the main (although the canapes/breadsticks were never on the meal tray, it came with the first drink from memory), I think?

Or have I missed something lately?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Does anybody know if the CE coffee is supposed to be improving as part of these changes? Or will it be the same semi-opaque rusty water?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Isn't there going to be a starter for Band 4/long?
Yes I saw Liittlegirl mentioning it afterwards and that is indeed an improvement for band 4.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Is there still a full bar service available on all flights?

Thank you by the way to Prospero and whoever the source at BA is for the info on this! It'll be interesting to see.

Those CE cups were nice, but at least a mug will give a proper amount of a drink.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
No, the catering in Club Europe is provided by the catering company Do&Co.
Really?! I had Do&Co on LH flight and it was miles aheadbof BA in terms of taste and presentation. I thought BA were using some dodgy caterer...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Really?! I had Do&Co on LH flight and it was miles aheadbof BA in terms of taste and presentation. I thought BA were using some dodgy caterer...
For Heathrow Do&Co have been the supplier for 2 years now, though DHL handle the logistics. You can tell if you look under the puddings, there is often a Do&Co label there. LGW have a different supplier. The rise in "this CE meal was surprisingly tasty" comments here on FT struck me as starting when Do&Co took over the contract.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My own thoughts are that an exception should have been made in the case of Madrid, Barcelona, and Milan.
I would say NCE too, which is quite Club Europe heavy and I would suspect high yielding.

I would have thought they may have made MAD long given its significance with the IB connecting market.

Whatever changes they make, I hope they keep the pork belly. I loved that dish.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Boten
I would say NCE too, which is quite Club Europe heavy and I would suspect high yielding.
I did not mention Nice quite deliberately - and this is why. You are correct - it is definitely a CE heavy route. It is also quite a short flight and it is mayhem for the crew to get everyone served in time. Actually I really think that there should be some Medium + routes where the catering is slightly different, but it would be complicated to manage.

I fly NCE a lot and the crew go like the clappers most times as the CE load can go a long way back. If there it is a bit bumpy over the Alps during the climb then it can slow down ever further.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Don't be silly, this is BA. In an effort to reduce costs and hit a middle management bonus target they've ended up with two entirely separate outsourced supply chains that provide identical offerings either side of a piece of blue fabric hanging from an aircraft ceiling.
Priceless! I wonder who is in charge of keeping a running tab on how much all this dysfunction at BA is actually costing.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Robespierre
Priceless! I wonder who is in charge of keeping a running tab on how much all this dysfunction at BA is actually costing.
One supplier versus multiple suppliers does not automatically mean it is cheaper or even more efficient. It depends on the details of the contracts that the suppliers have won and the processes that were put in place.

Alex Cruz's statement about always cutting cost can be achieved through efficiencies and not just product reduction so I cannot imagine he would have signed off on something that potentially increases logistical complexity and increases cost.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC
I've only just seen this thread. I'm doing a new "long" route next week, so looking forward to trying the new product. Is the champagne still Castelnau?

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Following extensive customer research and feedback, British Airways have decided to enhance the choice of two hot main courses on OPO MAD BIO BCN PMI NCE MXP LIN VCE VRN SZG ZAG VIE PRG CPH GOT OSL etc.
Oh dear, I hope this isn't the case.

Another anomaly of the medium/long split is that IBZ is long, whilst neighbouring PMI/MAH are medium. The difference in flight times can't be more than 5 minutes. Clearly the bandings were created with a ruler only, and no sense of logic.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
I see what you mean, VLC is another destination on the fringe. AFAIK, Valencia will be classed as a Long route. Whilst there is no room on the map to squeeze in VLC, I have added it to the borderline diagram.

Are you sure about that? PMI is medium and VLC is a shorter distance.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I haven't seen it mentioned but I heard from a crew friend that the 'long' bands are further differentiated into two groups.

The product will be largely the same - menu - meal order taken - drinks service - tray with starter - then delivery of the hot meal.

The difference is in the delivery; on the shorter 'long' flights the starter plate is cleared as the hot meal is delivered from the trolley at the same time, where as on the longer 'long' flights the starter is cleared in and then the mains are delivered two at a time from the galley, as happens in Club World.

Is it just me that thinks this service is going to pose a serious time issue given that even an FCO or IBZ is a 'long' flight? Especially as they are apparently making a pass of the cabin to take meal orders, a separate delivery of a starter THEN main AND going back and forth pouring from full size wine bottles?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haha... So the hot meal is a cheese toastie? Have I understood that correctly. How amusing. So much excitement over nothing in fact the real insiders are actually saying its a downgrade from current short and medium offering. Fascinating. I think working class rights-warrior Ms Miller should spin for BA.

Let's hazard a guess that the toastie is actually smaller than the bacon (or "seasonal") hot sarnie for sale down the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.