Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hugolover
Haha... So the hot meal is a cheese toastie? Have I understood that correctly. How amusing. So much excitement over nothing in fact the real insiders are actually saying its a downgrade from current short and medium offering. Fascinating. I think working class rights-warrior Ms Miller should spin for BA.

Let's hazard a guess that the toastie is actually smaller than the bacon (or "seasonal") hot sarnie for sale down the back.
If that is indeed true will the crew take glee in offering BOB sandwiches to the hungry CE passengers once they have finished fleecing the peasants down the back of the plane?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
It sounds like a major downgrade and what we would expect from 'eat in the lounge' Mr Cruz...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by pianotraveller
Does anybody know if the CE coffee is supposed to be improving as part of these changes? Or will it be the same semi-opaque rusty water?
Yeah it's most foul.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@hugolover : what a cynic you are.

Have you already forgotten about the shiny new crockery ??

How very dare you
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:08 am

Am I gonna get offered afternoon tea (no scones) OR ploughman's on the inaugural 15:50 to Murcia on Tuesday then?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Raffles
I liked the scones!

The Ploughman can keep his salad (who eats salad at 3pm anyway?)
I am glad someone else liked the scones. They were the reason I kept spending my Avios on afternoon tea services. I'd eat the rest out of courtesy just to save the scones for last.

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The scones are the only, and I really do mean the only, good thing about the afternoon tea service. I have typically ordered the low fat special meal and then had a scone anyway if I've ever ended up on an afternoon tea service with enough notice. Most of the crew seem to 'get it' also when I ask for a scone and realise I'm only having the low fat meal to avoid the dry sandwiches/cakes!
Haha! Yeah the crew are pretty smart. It's great to know that you also liked the scones.

Originally Posted by Physci
Just been told by my OH that the loss of the scones may well be the proverbial last straw as far as she is concerned
Smart OH it seems!

Originally Posted by CaroFos
Nope - I love the scones too ... will just have to have one in the Flounge while I still can....
Well, while this is now a sum total of 5 people, perhaps BA made an error with the "we hate afternoon tea" feedback. Looks like it should have been a "we hate it all except the scones, keep those!" and alas they have not.

Oh well. Nice to know I'm not alone in my scones loving! We're only a day away from it all happening so it will be interesting to see the new meals. Cross fingers they're amazing!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Am I gonna get offered afternoon tea (no scones) OR ploughman's on the inaugural 15:50 to Murcia on Tuesday then?
Murcia is "Long", so no.

I also liked the scones, and along with Genius1 I used to "put the other side of the story" when all the other FTers would rail on about that much reviled aspect of CE catering. So I'm completely bemused now. Where were you all?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
If you do, please remember to report back.

I'm truly fascinated to know what a "ploughman's salad" might be. Especially as I don't currently know any ploughmen of whom I can enquire.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Murcia is "Long", so no.
Sorry to sound thick but what will I be offered? Im VLML normally (and will be on evening flight back as can't rely on there ever being a fish offering for dinner being a p/t pescatarian) .I may have to update that... Outbound I went for normal meal as 2 out of 3 afternoon tea sarnies are usually veggie/fish and I hate the little salad offered to VLML as a replacement.. They used to ALWAYS forget to put strawberry jam and cream on a VLML tray..
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
If you do, please remember to report back.

I'm truly fascinated to know what a "ploughman's salad" might be. Especially as I don't currently know any ploughmen of whom I can enquire.
I will, with photos, if I can work out how to upload them from a MacAir book!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by shefgab
I've only just seen this thread. I'm doing a new "long" route next week, so looking forward to trying the new product. Is the champagne still Castelnau?
I will let you know tomorrow when I do my return MLA to LGW flight and if it remains Castelnau and little bottles. Please God don't let it be a return to Monopole...

Incidentally, there were 32 of us in CE on the way out from LGW and I was in 8F and despite the earliness of the hour there was a call for champagne and I could also see who was getting what. After 6 bottles were served (including me) and 2 top up bottles in the second pass (I was going to ask for a second) the lady in 8D was told it had all gone and was given a white wine instead. Though I suspect this was just to protect supplies the return flight at lunchtime.

I wonder if the small bottles will continue or if a full bottle will be provided? A full bottle is harder to hide away and might increase take-up of course!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:40 am

Thanks Dickbits ^

Unless some other developments of note have somehow passed me by, I seem to think this CE catering revamp is being touted in some quarters as the first genuine in-the-air BA enhancement for a good while.

Much has been written in advance, so it will be very interesting to see how it is all received once in operation ; and just how much of an upgrade it turns out to be. This is a 'premium' cabin we're talking about when all said & done - sometimes with eye-watering fare levels on certain routes & days/times.

Haven't seen every single post on the thread so apologies if already mentioned, but Head for Points carries a very good article on the impending changes. The piece itself is 95% factual (ie based on official info sourced from BA), with only very limited editorial comment. The many reader comments below it are, however, less than enthusiastic.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Will Short/Medium lunch/dinner flights get dessert of any description?

Will the non-LBA/MAN/JER routes at breakfast time still get fresh fruit and warm bread/pastries?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

.......................?

I also liked the scones, and along with Genius1 I used to "put the other side of the story" when all the other FTers would rail on about that much reviled aspect of CE catering. So I'm completely bemused now. Where were you all?
Well I speak as one of the many who truly reviled what was BA's apology for a "traditional afternoon tea" - but I certainly do take your point about folk mysteriously now coming out of the woodwork

Around six months after I moved to my current market county town (a number of years back), our one & only remaining (and very experienced) fishmonger shut up shop for good, due to lack of sufficient custom. I lost count of the number of the people I came across in the subsequent years who bemoaned its passing whilst they stressed how often they used to patronise it (folk of course who never bought their fish from the ever-so-slightly cheaper supermarkets (with less knowledgeable staff) of course ....).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Boten
I would say NCE too, which is quite Club Europe heavy and I would suspect high yielding.

I would have thought they may have made MAD long given its significance with the IB connecting market.

Whatever changes they make, I hope they keep the pork belly. I loved that dish.
Well I'd personally agree with you on both counts of course. NCE has a large proportion of long haul premium traffic, both incoming and outgoing, both leisure and business, and the same could be said of GVA. BA has historically been strong on that segment in NCE, in part because of AF's Y only domestic connections to Paris. About 12 rows of CE is the norm, sometimes less but also regularly 18 rows of C or more.

That said, DL and AC are flying nonstop to the West, to the East, QR is reopening its year round NCE in early July with a 787, and EK are switching their flight to A388 also in early July and also year round, and offer free chauffeur pick up and drop off in J and free helicopter transfer to Monaco in F. I wouldn't be surprised if that 'salad or sandwich, madam?' C offer made a few people feel like exploring the competition a bit more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.