Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by Valueseeker
I read this on PTS:

"paypal - link your amex card - send money to your other half or anyone else you trust to give you the money back. On paypal you can send money to people for any reason - not just purchases. this costs you 3.4% so £34 for every £1000 you put through - or £340 for an entire £10k through - of course you get 15k miles for this".

Is this a legitimate way of generating 'spend'? I have not checked the Paypal T&Cs yet. I'm not sure at what point it becomes money laundering!

Has anyone any experience of this? I would not expect to shove the whole £10k through Paypal but it could be useful if I am still a few thousand short as I approach the end of the year. Thanks.
My daughter's landlord does not accept AMEX, so I Paypal her the money (I stump up the 3.4%) and she pays her landlord via standing order. If I want to trigger the 241 early in my year I might also send her monthly subsistence allowance the same way. Perfectly legitimate, and Paypal would have no idea what she was spending the money on.

So, expanding this analogy I could send her the Paypal payment and technically she could give me the money straight back. If you did something similar for all of your £10k spend it would cost £340 to get your 241, plus you would accumulate another 15k miles.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by RedVee
My daughter's landlord does not accept AMEX, so I Paypal her the money (I stump up the 3.4%) and she pays her landlord via standing order. If I want to trigger the 241 early in my year I might also send her monthly subsistence allowance the same way. Perfectly legitimate, and Paypal would have no idea what she was spending the money on.

So, expanding this analogy I could send her the Paypal payment and technically she could give me the money straight back. If you did something similar for all of your £10k spend it would cost £340 to get your 241, plus you would accumulate another 15k miles.
So taking this approach a step further, what's to stop people sending themselves (rather than other people) the money? This would then be virtually equivalent to an ATM cash-withdrawal but would qualify for miles and spend. Surely this has been locked-down somehow?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
it's not money laundering - it is called "cash advancing" ie. in effect you are creating a cash withdrawal sourced from a credit card at the card purchase rate and inappropriately subject to the protection aspects of the card.

It is documented as being against the t's and c's of both paypal and amex.

Transferring money for a legitimate reason sush as paying rent as detailed below will be entirely ok.

Sending money knowing it's going to swing back to you in your pocket or bank account is against the rules, although I don't see how they would actually know.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by phol
quick call to amex confirmed what others have already said - if i upgrade i will only need another 2k to hit the voucher. thanks for all the answers.

to add in response to the above post - any transaction involving fx is an fx transaction by my eyes. i trade it for a living so i'd hope i have half an idea what I'm talking about there...
For the avoidance of doubt, and for the benefit of anyone else who may read this thread, spend on the card abroad does earn MRs or Avios. Buying foreign currency does not.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Paypal will close your account and freeze your cash. They love doing it, don't think they don't.

I assume you saw the press story last week, for eg, of a woman who had her account frozen with a lot of money in it, because she had been collecting charity donations via a personal paypal account.

Basically, Paypal is not stupid. They know that, in normal circumstances, only an idiot would pay the 3% fee to send a large sum of money from Person A to Person B when they could post a cheque for 41p. Their default position on all such transactions is therefore to be suspicious. Rememher that, should money laundering be found to be taking place via Paypal, Paypal will be held partially responsible if it cannot prove it did everything possible to avoid the situation.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
it's not money laundering - it is called "cash advancing" ie. in effect you are creating a cash withdrawal sourced from a credit card at the card purchase rate and inappropriately subject to the protection aspects of the card.

It is documented as being against the t's and c's of both paypal and amex.

Transferring money for a legitimate reason sush as paying rent as detailed below will be entirely ok.

Sending money knowing it's going to swing back to you in your pocket or bank account is against the rules, although I don't see how they would actually know.
Thanks for all the replies. It seemed too good to be true!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Raffles
Paypal will close your account and freeze your cash. They love doing it, don't think they don't.
I assume you saw the press story last week, for eg, of a woman who had her account frozen with a lot of money in it, because she had been collecting charity donations via a personal paypal account.
Indeed ... PayPal closed our holidays4heroes account because we are not a Registered Charity. Basically, too many small transactions.

So, a big "Thank You NOT" to PayPal for closing off part of our revenue stream.

I'm sure they have business case - it just screwed us
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Enjoy a night away on us...

... has anyone else had this in the post today from Amex (Plat). An offer of a completely free night stay in one of 63 Starwood properties worldwide from The Luxury Collection, W, Weston, Le Meridien and Sheraton up to the end of Sept next year.

No catches, no charges/fees, no minimum stay etc - just a totally free night.

The only potential catch is there are no properties in the UK so it's likely you'd volunteer to tag on another night or two to make the trip worthwhile, or it could help a TP run with a free hotel in the middle.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
... has anyone else had this in the post today from Amex (Plat). An offer of a completely free night stay in one of 63 Starwood properties worldwide from The Luxury Collection, W, Weston, Le Meridien and Sheraton up to the end of Sept next year.

No catches, no charges/fees, no minimum stay etc - just a totally free night.

The only potential catch is there are no properties in the UK so it's likely you'd volunteer to tag on another night or two to make the trip worthwhile, or it could help a TP run with a free hotel in the middle.
I got it too. Struggling to find a hotel I can get to for 1 night, though, as (by default) resorts tend to be a long way from main airports! May use it in Dubai if we get down there again before September.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I got a different freebie in the post. 2 heathrow fastrack vouchers (each good for 2 people), and two £10 off vouchers for departure shopping.

Fastrack are no good to me, as they expire end of feb, but I'll probably get use out of the £10 vouchers as they have a longer expiry.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
I got it too. Struggling to find a hotel I can get to for 1 night, though, as (by default) resorts tend to be a long way from main airports! May use it in Dubai if we get down there again before September.
I have just received this
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Bonus Avios for BA Amex Cards

Hi,

If anyone is interested in being referred for a BA Amex Card by me, you could get the following bonus Avios (BA Miles) in your account if you're accepted for the card:

Standard BA Amex Card - bonus (free) 10,000 Avios (BA Miles)
Premium Plus BA Amex Card - bonus (free) 19,000 Avios (BA Miles)

The standard one is totally free and the premium plus one costs £150 for a year, but it's well worth it as you only need to spend £10,000 in one year to quality for a free companion voucher. This means that someone can travel with you (in the same cabin, inc. 1st and Business Class) for the equivalent of only one person's miles (e.g. to fly to Sydney & back from the UK is 100,000 miles I believe, so you could fly back with someone else for only 100,000 miles, plus taxes).

If you're interested in taking up this offer, please PM me with your full name and email address and I'll send you a referral email.

Best regards,

J-P
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jpgale
Hi,

If anyone is interested in being referred for a BA Amex Card by me, you could get the following bonus Avios (BA Miles) in your account if you're accepted for the card:

The standard one is totally free and the premium plus one costs £150 for a year, but it's well worth it as you only need to spend £10,000 in one year to quality for a free companion voucher. This means that someone can travel with you (in the same cabin, inc. 1st and Business Class) for the equivalent of only one person's miles (e.g. to fly to Sydney & back from the UK is 100,000 miles I believe, so you could fly back with someone else for only 100,000 miles, plus taxes).

If you're interested in taking up this offer, please PM me with your full name and email address and I'll send you a referral email.

Best regards,

J-P
Really?!? On iPhone so can't tell if your first post, but wow!

Just wow!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Excuse me?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jpgale
Hi,

Best regards,

J-P
mmmm....if your collecting Avios points, maybe you should get an Amex Gold card? I'd be happy to refer you! PM if you are interested!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.