Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dmahon
The website doesn't like you paying more than your previous bill.

If your last monthly bill was £500, even if you have spent £2,000 so far this month, it won't let you pay more than £500, which is a bit of a pain. In the first month, before you have a bill, you can't pay anything at all. You can still send the money via bank transfer though. Not sure if you can make multiple smaller payments as well.
Curiousity aroused, I decided to try to pay off the £45 that is already showing on my recent transactions (the rest is not available to spend, but is not yet showing in detail)... it worked. Fluke, below a level where they care, or new functionality on the website I know not, though!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
You can pay off the full balance after the first month at any time....
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:23 pm

you can always send them money to their acc. no and sort code (from your bill if you had one or you can find it when you're logged in if not), using your CC number as the reference number. This always seems to work for me.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dmahon
The website doesn't like you paying more than your previous bill.

If your last monthly bill was £500, even if you have spent £2,000 so far this month, it won't let you pay more than £500, which is a bit of a pain. In the first month, before you have a bill, you can't pay anything at all. You can still send the money via bank transfer though. Not sure if you can make multiple smaller payments as well.
You should be able to pay up to your total outstanding balance (e.g £2500) at any time by choosing "Other Amount" and keying in the full balance. Works for me anyway. You are right about the first month though but that is standard with most credit cards in my experience.

One easy way to get your account into credit is to set up your Direct Debit to pay the balance in full and then manually pay off the balance a few days before. The DD will still be taken leaving your account in credit to the value of the previous debit total.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic
Hi All,
Can someone offer some advice please. I've got a BA PP Amex and just qualified for a companion voucher in November..
Have just found out that we have a baby on the way so will definitely not be doing any travelling this year..
Anyway I was thinking of downgrading my card to the fee free option. Does anyone know if I will lose my companion voucher? I'm hoping we will be able to use it in 2013 due to its 2 yr expiry. Any thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze FWIW
Fees and taxes refund?

Hi guys,

The T&Cs on BA's website do not specify what happens to the paid fees and taxes should someone cancel their 2-4-1 ticket/trip before 24h of departure? It says that the voucher will be 'refunded' (and presumably the spent miles too? That's not even specified either) but there is no mention of fees and taxes. I have a horrible feeling this may mean that they don't get refunded. Does anyone know please? Also - has anyone experience of booking a 2-4-1 and then having to cancel to rebook at later date?

Apologies is this has been asked before - I searched this thread and didn't find an answer.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Mand
Hi guys,

The T&Cs on BA's website do not specify what happens to the paid fees and taxes should someone cancel their 2-4-1 ticket/trip before 24h of departure? It says that the voucher will be 'refunded' (and presumably the spent miles too? That's not even specified either) but there is no mention of fees and taxes. I have a horrible feeling this may mean that they don't get refunded. Does anyone know please? Also - has anyone experience of booking a 2-4-1 and then having to cancel to rebook at later date?

Apologies is this has been asked before - I searched this thread and didn't find an answer.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure it's treated like any other redemption booking. Avios and the cash paid will be refunded less a service fee. This is of course provided the cancellation is more than 24 hours from the departure date.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by golfmad
I'm pretty sure it's treated like any other redemption booking. Avios and the cash paid will be refunded less a service fee. This is of course provided the cancellation is more than 24 hours from the departure date.
Yes. Having cancelled one myself last week I can confirm all taxes and fees were refunded minus the £25 service fee per passenger.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze FWIW
Thank you so much for your replies, cmcbugg and golfmad, very helpful.

^
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by stevie-d
From memory, when my wife got her own BA Amex PP card, with a relatively low limit we could not pay early in the first month.

I think you have to wait until the statement date, but in subsequent months you can pay early.

We were caught out this way trying to book multiple BA flights over a short period to trigger the 241.
Yeah mine was the same, until the first statement was generated I couldn't put the account in credit to allow me to pay for more expensive things. After that it was fine.

Can increase the limit by up to 50% every 6 months which helps long term.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by travellingblade
You should be able to pay up to your total outstanding balance (e.g £2500) at any time by choosing "Other Amount" and keying in the full balance. Works for me anyway. You are right about the first month though but that is standard with most credit cards in my experience.

One easy way to get your account into credit is to set up your Direct Debit to pay the balance in full and then manually pay off the balance a few days before. The DD will still be taken leaving your account in credit to the value of the previous debit total.
When I've done this recently - not deliberately - the direct debit amount has been reversed a couple of days later. Maybe that's just my account though...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, HH Gold, Etihad Silver
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
Yes. Having cancelled one myself last week I can confirm all taxes and fees were refunded minus the £25 service fee per passenger.
On a related topic, can you just cancel the companion ticket on a 2-4-1 booking or do you have to cancel both tickets?

Although I will definately be travelling, my companion is not sure whether they will be able to and will not know for a couple of months. I'd like to secure flights while there is availablility which will not be a problem if I can just cancel the companion ticket and get my voucher and taxes back (less 25 GBP admin fee).

Could be more of an issue if I have to cancel both tickets and then rebook a standard redemption.

Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:06 am

Can I just double check that the spending on a supplementary card on someones BA Amex (the free one) does count as part of the spend for the 241 voucher?

Many thanks from a bmi traitor! :-)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DarrenT
Can I just double check that the spending on a supplementary card on someones BA Amex (the free one) does count as part of the spend for the 241 voucher?
Yes, it does count towards the total.

Originally Posted by DarrenT
Many thanks from a bmi traitor! :-)
Welcome to the enlightened side
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic
Can anyone offer any comments on this please? I havent had any responses.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by oizilein
Hi All,
Can someone offer some advice please. I've got a BA PP Amex and just qualified for a companion voucher in November..
Have just found out that we have a baby on the way so will definitely not be doing any travelling this year..
Anyway I was thinking of downgrading my card to the fee free option. Does anyone know if I will lose my companion voucher? I'm hoping we will be able to use it in 2013 due to its 2 yr expiry. Any thoughts anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.