Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by nh1980
PanGalactic, This indicates 18k Avios

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/br...cpid=100026074

This seems to mention 25k Avios and I only seem to get this link when I have logged into my EC account

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ba...cpid=100026074

I noticed on the 2nd link it states two companion vouchers can be used, thought it was only one voucher that could be redeemed!

Fly with a friend
Spend more than £10,000 in a year on your British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card and you'll earn a Companion Voucher. Redeem your Avios on a flight and you can take a companion with you on the same flight, in the same cabin, all you have to pay are the taxes, fees and charges for both tickets. get a complimentary ticket for a companion on the for whichever flight you redeem your Avios on. Companion Vouchers are valid for two years, so
And it's valid for up to 24 months and you can collect two vouchers to redeem for the family or a friendly getaway.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
This is good news!

For once something has been "enhanced" in our favour!

Edit: Weird, when I click through my BAEC account it still only says 18,000!

Where did you find the link exactly please?
This is exactly why I am confused!

If I try and get to the BA Amex website via Google, it says 18k

If I go to BA.com (and not logged into EC) and click on the Amex link (i.e. in the advertising box below the top strip of links) again it takes me to a page saying its 18k

However, when I am logged into Executive club and on my executive club homepage, the advertising box goes grey and it says 25k Avios instead. Clicking on this box takes me to the second page I posted above.

As you will see in my last post they are slightly different URLs. I wonder if the 25k thing is just an older offer and they haven't quite managed to tidy up the pages and links?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by savingfor1st
I noticed on the 2nd link it states two companion vouchers can be used, thought it was only one voucher that could be redeemed!

Fly with a friend
Spend more than £10,000 in a year on your British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card and you'll earn a Companion Voucher. Redeem your Avios on a flight and you can take a companion with you on the same flight, in the same cabin, all you have to pay are the taxes, fees and charges for both tickets. get a complimentary ticket for a companion on the for whichever flight you redeem your Avios on. Companion Vouchers are valid for two years, so
And it's valid for up to 24 months and you can collect two vouchers to redeem for the family or a friendly getaway.
I think that just means you can get a 4-4-2, I dont think a 3-4-1 is going to happen .
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver (soft landing!), HH Gold
Hi, just considering options here having recently gained a 2-4-1, but already having two separate miles bookings purchased as below for May this year:

LHR-JNB, JNB-WDH F

JNB-CPT, CPT-LHR J

This is for myself and the future Mrs Englishoaks' honeymoon, but now my question is;

1. Is it feasible to cancel the above two bookings, and rebook same dates straight away (same phone call for example) but using a 2-4-1? This would free up a 'boatload' of miles which we can use another time, or when we get a second 2-4-1 later this year.

2. Is this asking too much of the availability engine, i.e. could we find ourselves with a cancelled booking, and no availability as the seats were not 'released' right away?

3. I was saving up miles for considerable time to pay for the above, and as it's honeymoon I'm rather nervous about 'tinkering' with this booking, although desperate to use the 2-4-1 for it... any ideas gratefully received ^
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
JNB-WDH and CPT-JNB are not allowable on 2-4-1s as they are operated by Comair, BA's franchise partner in SA. There have been occasions reported where Comair flights in SA were booked on a 2-4-1 but I for one wouldn't count on being able to do so.

As for cancelling and rebooking, the experience of FTers suggests that cancelled flights may not necessarily reappear as reward opportunities, so it would be a gamble.

Could LHR-JNB-LHR flights on a 2-4-1 and the WDH and CPT flights be a separate award or revenue booking be worth looking at? Or LHR-JNB//CPT-LHR as a 2-4-1 with the other flights as reward or revenue? (This would effectively mean cancelling the WDH and CPT elements.)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Do not tinker.

However, seats tend to open up on LHR-JNB/CPT nearer the date of travel. From about 1 month out I would check ba.com every day to see if seats have appeared. You then cancel and rebook with safety.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (soft landing!), HH Gold
good advice, thanks, and whatever happens I won't be able to use 2-4-1 for the Comair legs of the trip having spoken to BAEC, it was spelled out
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, IHG Ambassador/Priority Club
Thumbs down Reward Flight Saver & Companion Voucher

I have been wondering how to use 2 Companion vouchers, one of which is soon to expire. I came up with the idea of treating three friends to a CE trip to BCN where we have booked a holiday villa.

As I have a 'platinum' BA Amex card, I am allowed to use two vouchers and take 3 pax with me. Imagine my joy when there were four Club reward seats on each of the flights, so I rang EC to book (the online system doesn't let you redeem two vouchers at once). I had calculated this would cost me 60,000 Avios and some multiple of the £34 Reward Saver fee.

Having got to the end of the process, BA spectacularly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by announcing it was to cost me 60,000 avios + £396! Apparently, the Saver Reward Fares don't work with the Companion Voucher. I hadn't spotted this in the Ts&Cs (has anyone?), and was left wondering (as so many people have done) whether the whole 'surcharge' game is past it's sell by date?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by ALANSW4
Apparently, the Saver Reward Fares don't work with the Companion Voucher. I hadn't spotted this in the Ts&Cs (has anyone?), and was left wondering (as so many people have done) whether the whole 'surcharge' game is past it's sell by date?
It does work, at least when you book online, did it in last few days.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Having got to the end of the process, BA spectacularly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by announcing it was to cost me 60,000 avios + £396! Apparently, the Saver Reward Fares don't work with the Companion Voucher. I hadn't spotted this in the Ts&Cs (has anyone?), and was left wondering (as so many people have done) whether the whole 'surcharge' game is past it's sell by date?
Is it in the T&Cs? Did you try the "hang up and phone back" policy as the most consistent thing about BA's phone reps is their inconsistency.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
The T&Cs say different:

"15. The RFS may not be used in conjunction with [i] Priority Reward [ii] Upgrade using Avios; or any other promotions or offers, except the Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher and any credit card companion vouchers, which may be used with the RFS."

You should have asked them to point out the relevant conditions... ring back and try again!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, IHG Ambassador/Priority Club
Originally Posted by louie-m
The T&Cs say different:

"15. The RFS may not be used in conjunction with [i] Priority Reward [ii] Upgrade using Avios; or any other promotions or offers, except the Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher and any credit card companion vouchers, which may be used with the RFS."

You should have asked them to point out the relevant conditions... ring back and try again!
Many thanks for this (and the other replies). I did call back and this time got the RFS fares, albeit with a £15 booking fee per person, but still much better. Thanks!!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
I have been wondering how to use 2 Companion vouchers, one of which is soon to expire. I came up with the idea of treating three friends to a CE trip to BCN where we have booked a holiday villa.

As I have a 'platinum' BA Amex card, I am allowed to use two vouchers and take 3 pax with me.
I wasn't aware that you could take 3 guests with you on two 2-4-1 vouchers. Is this something special related to Amex platinum card?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: BA IHG
Deleted, because I don't actually know the answer.

Last edited by cmcbugg; Feb 15, 2012 at 2:10 am
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by CityRules
I wasn't aware that you could take 3 guests with you on two 2-4-1 vouchers. Is this something special related to Amex platinum card?
This is standard policy and can even be booked online if you have 2 Amex vouchers available. I took 4 pax to South Africa this way last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.