Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi oizilein,

I have asked your question before and had the response that once it is 1. posted to your BAEC account or 2. flights booked downgrading is ok.

There has never been a firm response, rather a mixture of 1 or 2 above and always from a 3rd party having apparently done it.

For those reasons I am keeping my BA PP until the 241 flight is completed although I expect I am been rather cautious.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by oizilein
Can anyone offer any comments on this please? I havent had any responses.
Thanks.
If its triggered already and in your BA account then it will stay there.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:42 am

Has anyone any experience with moving abroad and keeping your Amex alive but (almost) unused? I have moved to Hong Kong but for now am keeping my BAEC account at my UK address with my PP card - with the 3% FX fee it will hardly be used here. Im looking at the Dah Sing Visa as the best way to collect Avios here, but will I be able to have both at the same time?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can keep your BA Amex and even spend on it, but the miles will stack up at Amex HQ and will not be transferred to your account until your BA account moves back to the UK.

Not sure if the spend counts towards a 2-4-1 or not, but for sure the 2-4-1 will not be triggered whilst you are abroad.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:43 am

The spend does (or did a couple of years ago) count towards the 2-4-1 which is only triggered when you 'move back' - happened to Mr qc.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by phol
Has anyone any experience with moving abroad and keeping your Amex alive but (almost) unused? I have moved to Hong Kong but for now am keeping my BAEC account at my UK address with my PP card - with the 3% FX fee it will hardly be used here. Im looking at the Dah Sing Visa as the best way to collect Avios here, but will I be able to have both at the same time?
We are in a similar position. Moved to the US in 2011. Kept the BA Amex card and use it only for BA purchases now. Initially I made the mistake of moving our household BAEC account to our new address in the US which resulted in quite a lot of points accumulating on my statement but not transferring. Also, the 2011 2-4-1 didn't trigger either. So, I waited 6 months (min time for an online change) and moved our address back to our house in the UK.

Now I have a dilemma though. I am about to receive a Chase Visa card but I know that the Avios I collect on it won't transfer while my address is in the UK.

I really do have valid reasons for having a card in the UK and a card in the US.

I'm thinking about switching the BAEC account every 6 months which will enable any Avios and 2-4-1 collected on our statement to release to our BAEC account.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Does it sound reasonable?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
You can keep your BA Amex and even spend on it, but the miles will stack up at Amex HQ and will not be transferred to your account until your BA account moves back to the UK.

Not sure if the spend counts towards a 2-4-1 or not, but for sure the 2-4-1 will not be triggered whilst you are abroad.
If you leave your BAEC account in the UK, Amex don't seem too bothered about where the billing/correspondence address is for the PP card. I moved to HK in October - BAEC is still on our UK address, and the PP is against our HK address (easier for ordering stuff online etc on the odd occasion we need to use it). So far, no issues with miles accruing etc....
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
If you leave your BAEC account in the UK, Amex don't seem too bothered about where the billing/correspondence address is for the PP card. I moved to HK in October - BAEC is still on our UK address, and the PP is against our HK address (easier for ordering stuff online etc on the odd occasion we need to use it). So far, no issues with miles accruing etc....
Have you looked at the Dah Sing card? 1 avios per 6hkd
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Have you looked at the Dah Sing card? 1 avios per 6hkd
Must investigate further!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Considering signing up for the premium plus card. Can someone confirm though if the bonus is 18000 Avios or 25000 Avios (if you spend £3k in first 3 months)? It seems to differ depending on which page or link you are on?

(sorry if has been answered before)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nh1980
Considering signing up for the premium plus card. Can someone confirm though if the bonus is 18000 Avios or 25000 Avios (if you spend £3k in first 3 months)? It seems to differ depending on which page or link you are on?

You get 19000 Avios if you are referred by an existing member*. 18k if you just sign up yourself. Other offers may be available.

* Your friend will receive 19,000 Avios when they spend a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to the account within three months of account opening.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

Where do you see 25000, can you post a link please?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR

The page with full details of the referral deal is at the link below. Worth bearing in mind you get 1.5 points per pound spent, or 3 points per pound spent on BA flights or holidays. So the qualifying £3000 spend is worth a further 4,500-9,000 Avios.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/m...CPID=100032759
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
PanGalactic, This indicates 18k Avios

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/br...cpid=100026074

This seems to mention 25k Avios and I only seem to get this link when I have logged into my EC account

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ba...cpid=100026074
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
PanGalactic, This indicates 18k Avios

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/br...cpid=100026074

This seems to mention 25k Avios and I only seem to get this link when I have logged into my EC account

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ba...cpid=100026074
This is good news!

For once something has been "enhanced" in our favour!

Edit: Weird, when I click through my BAEC account it still only says 18,000!

Where did you find the link exactly please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.