Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by JamieT
I received my Amex invite to the Edinburgh Harvey nichols Xmas party today. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately from my husbands perspective) the party was yesterday!
I got it on time, yesterday
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:53 pm

After seeing the mention on Costco taking Amex, I wondered if we would see Costco Amex soon (the MIL has one) and this morning came an invite for its launch this weekend.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by JamieT
I received my Amex invite to the Edinburgh Harvey nichols Xmas party today. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately from my husbands perspective) the party was yesterday!
I received my invitation today also, in the post when I came home from work. My wife also received one, she has just come in from LGW tonight, so fortunately could not have gone.

Typical Amex promotions! This is the second one recently which has arrived on or after the date of the offer.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else just recieved a letter from Amex increasing their credit limit substantially? Seems odd in the context of the last few years of limit reductions, but in spite of not using my full limit (or anything near that) in a while and a recent move outside the UK (which Amex are aware of), Amex have strangely seen fit to double my limit as of next month....
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:48 am

My credit limit was increased out of the blue, by a third, about a month ago. Not as much compared to you, but odd to me as I've never been anywhere near the previous limit.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
ISTR they do a review every 6 months: my file shows a [brief] history of 6-monthly increases in the limit.

My card gets a reasonable amount of exercise [around £20k pa] and is always paid off in full each month. I'm not sure whether spending close to the limit is a factor, though - they would be more concerned about your repayment behaviour!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
I had some snail mail yesterday from Amex (branded BA) with 4 vouchers enclosed

2 x Fast track for 2 people

2 x £10 duty free vouchers

very welcome but I wonder why they are doing this
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
Originally Posted by hingeless
I had some snail mail yesterday from Amex (branded BA) with 4 vouchers enclosed

2 x Fast track for 2 people

2 x £10 duty free vouchers

very welcome but I wonder why they are doing this
Same here. I've been sent two fast track vouchers for the past two years and have never used them, but might actually use the duty free vouchers!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
When doing a MR->BA transfer, does anyone know if Amex and BA validate that the name and address match exactly on both ends?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Paralytic
When doing a MR->BA transfer, does anyone know if Amex and BA validate that the name and address match exactly on both ends?
Can't say about the name, but they don't check the address as I am sending my UK MR points to a EuroBAEC account.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
They checked and rejected a transfer when I tried to transfer MR to my sister (same address, different surname).
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by louie-m
They checked and rejected a transfer when I tried to transfer MR to my sister (same address, different surname).
Different forename too, I hope, otherwise I'd be worried about your parents
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:46 am

Different forename too, I hope, otherwise I'd be worried about your parents
I thought that went without saying you silly boy.....

(although if it is good enough for Michael Jackson.....)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Any ideas how long the bonus miles for opening an account takes?

I just spent £1500 for the 18K bonus within 3 months (BA PP amex) and wanted to known how long it takes.

With my gold card, the 20K showed up instantaneously once i spent the requisite amount.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:31 am

For anyone doing their Christmas shopping at the weekend in central London

Double points.

Extract from T&Cs: "1. When a Cardmember makes a transaction using their American Express Card at an American Express accepting Merchant on Regent Street, Oxford Street, Old Bond Street and New Bond Street on 10 and 11 December 2011, they will earn double rewards at double the usual rate for the Card and/ or in the enrolled reward currency associated with that Card. American Express® Charge Cards will receive Membership Rewards points, Harrods Cards will receive Harrods Rewards points, Nectar Credit Cards will receive Nectar points, British Airways American Express® Cards will receive Avios, American Express® Credit Cards will receive either Membership Rewards® points, cashback or Blue Sky points (depending on enrolled currency), BMA Services American Express® Credit Cards will receive cashback, Express Rewards Credit Cards will receive Membership Rewards Express points, Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Cards from American Express will receive Starpoints®, Virgin Atlantic American Express® Credit Cards from MBNA will receive Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles, bmi American Express® Credit Cards from MBNA will receive Diamond Club destinations miles, Miles & More American Express® Credit Cards from MBNA will receive Miles & More award miles, AAdvantage® American Express® Credit Cards from MBNA will receive AAdvantage miles, MBNA American Express® Credit Cards will receive MBNA Reward Points, United Mileage Plus American Express® Credit Cards from MBNA will receive United Mileage Plus miles and Lloyds TSB Duo Airmiles American Express® Cards and Lloyds TSB Duo Premier American Express® Cards will receive Avios."

Question is, what is the "usual rate"? If it means the rate you would otherwise be getting on an identical purchase not in the West End, those of you with your new Avios Lloyds Amex cards could really be raking it in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.