Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
25 Avios per £1!

It almost makes £1,006 for a CW return ticket look tame.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
25 Avios per £1!

It almost makes £1,006 for a CW return ticket look tame.
I note the terms and conditions require any enquiries about the promotion relating to the Lloyds card to be sent to Lloyds in writing!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just received my 2 x £10 duty free gift cards and 2 x fast track security passes from Amex. Nice touch ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OT: I and the OH have just received our £10 Pensioner's Christmas Bonus from HMG. What are we supposed to do with that? Buy a bag of crisps and a bottle of British Sherry?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
OT: I and the OH have just received our £10 Pensioner's Christmas Bonus from HMG. What are we supposed to do with that? Buy a bag of crisps and a bottle of British Sherry?
Why buy crisps when you can get them from the lounge for free?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Why buy crisps when you can get them from the lounge for free?
Good point ... and pick up some Champagne as well, perhaps?

Mods ... sorry, I'll stop right NOW
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by T8191
... £10 Pensioner's Christmas Bonus from HMG.
Whassat, then? Is it connected with the £200 (was £250) winter fuel allowance, halved if there are two pensioners in the household?

I see the idiot Clegg thinks that pensioners shouldn't be having this kind of benefit (also bus passes and TV Licenses for over-75s) without means testing.

So for a change that wouldn't be a Lib Dem promise he would be breaking but one of Dave's.

ETA: Mods ... sorry, I'll stop right NOW - me too.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi All,

I will be living in Brussels for the next 6-8 months for business. As part of routine, I was updating my addresses and was pleasantly surprised to be promoted to Silver tier in BA Executive Club when I entered my Brussels address. This is because I have 430 TPs now. I can't believe I didn't know that the threshold is lower for mainland Europe. So, I started digging around and found this forum.

I also have a BA Amex basic card (not the premium plus) with an add-on card for the wife. She will continue to live here in the UK and she is a regular user of the add-on card. So, I called Amex this morning to ask what will happen if I change my address with Executive Club. The lady on the phone said that they will hold all the avios points that I earn on the card for the next 6-8 months and credit them to my Executive Club account once I move back to the UK. This is contrary to what I have read at the beginning of this topic.

Have the rules changed recently or is the Amex lady talking nonsense? I suppose I can cancel the Amex if I have to but I'd rather keep it to save the hastle of getting a new credit card for my wife.

Any information on the current state of play is very appreciated.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
25 Avios per £1!
Can I ask how you arrived at that number? I've only calculated it as 2 Avios per £1 - which is double the usual rate since you normally only get 1 Avios per £1.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by crystak
Can I ask how you arrived at that number? I've only calculated it as 2 Avios per £1 - which is double the usual rate since you normally only get 1 Avios per £1.
On the Lloyds TSB Premier Duo Avios Credit Card Account, the Amex earns 12.5 Avios per £1 for the first three months if you apply via the avios.com offer.

If the doubled rate is applied to that, it would be 25 Avios per £1.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I got a £20 House Of Fraser voucher from Amex the other month. Anyone else every had one?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by blindy
Hi All,

I will be living in Brussels for the next 6-8 months for business. As part of routine, I was updating my addresses and was pleasantly surprised to be promoted to Silver tier in BA Executive Club when I entered my Brussels address. This is because I have 430 TPs now. I can't believe I didn't know that the threshold is lower for mainland Europe. So, I started digging around and found this forum.

I also have a BA Amex basic card (not the premium plus) with an add-on card for the wife. She will continue to live here in the UK and she is a regular user of the add-on card. So, I called Amex this morning to ask what will happen if I change my address with Executive Club. The lady on the phone said that they will hold all the avios points that I earn on the card for the next 6-8 months and credit them to my Executive Club account once I move back to the UK. This is contrary to what I have read at the beginning of this topic.

Have the rules changed recently or is the Amex lady talking nonsense? I suppose I can cancel the Amex if I have to but I'd rather keep it to save the hastle of getting a new credit card for my wife.

Any information on the current state of play is very appreciated.
This sounds right IIRC. The Amex 241 voucher and the BA Amex card is for UK domiciled EC members only. Do a search for a thread called Diary of a Eurocheat and all should be revealed. Or wait for Raffles to come along as he is the expert here. And welcome to the BA board.

Last edited by Disco Volante; Dec 8, 2011 at 2:00 am
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
This sounds right IIRC. The Amex 241 voucher and the BA Amex card is for UK domiciled EC members only. Do a search for a thread called Diary of a Eurocheat and all should be revealed. Or wait for Raffles to come along as he is the expert here. And welcome to the BA board.
Amex is correct. You will need to do your £10k spend on your Amex for the 241 during the time you are in the UK, as well as book your 241 flight. You won't lose the 241 voucher whilst abroad, but cannot redeem it.

Credit card - you WANT to get new cards for your wife. And yourself! There are some fantastic sign up deals at present, eg 42000 Avios for the Amex Plat, 12.5. avios per £1 spent for 3 months on the Lloyds Amex, a free Hilton night anywhere when you spend £750 on the Hilton Visa etc.

Have a dig around FT for a few days and you will get a better view of what is available.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: BA
Triggered a 2-4-1 this morning; my calendar year starts in June.

Anyone who remembers will know I took out the BA Amex last year (2010) to put wedding spend on knowing I'd easily spend £10k to trigger the 2-4-1 (which we used to go to YYZ in F on honeymoon - trip report in sig).

This year (ie since June), I've just been putting all my spend on my BA Amex, and bought a couple of tickets out to SYD for a wedding next year, which has again triggered a 2-4-1.

Ignoring the £150 fee I pay my balance off monthly and have yet to pay any interest.

It's amazing that they'll give you double-value on your miles (well,...... avios) just for staying loyal to a credit card.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the Lloyds TSB Premier Duo Avios Credit Card Account, the Amex earns 12.5 Avios per £1 for the first three months if you apply via the avios.com offer.

If the doubled rate is applied to that, it would be 25 Avios per £1.
I can't see it mentioned on the Lloyds site so my question is - is the Lloyds TSB card subject to the same restriction as the BA Amex - UK Exec club accounts only ?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.