Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Really hope we aren't seeing another person getting into debt to get Amex miles bonuses
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Olly-
Yes, because an incoming balance transfer is just considered to be a payment. It'd look the same if you sent them a faster payment from your bank account.
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
thanks!

I don't get this part?
A balance transfer to another institution generates a payment from that institution to your Amex account. It's moving the debt from one place to another. Olly just means it will appear on your Amex statement as a payment (like you'd made it but in this case it won't be from you).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
What if I spend £2k on my BA Amex and balance transfer it to another credit card – do I receive 2k avios/ba miles?
You'd get the miles for your spend, but nothing for the transfer.

The Faster Payments comment relates to the fact that to Amex the balance transfer would look no different to if you'd just paid your card balance off from your bank account.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by dc2447
Really hope we aren't seeing another person getting into debt to get Amex miles bonuses
+1

It's amazing how they keep you spending without realising it.

It takes a lot of discipline to play the credit cards game properly.

If you find yourself needing to do a balance transfer it's probably time to cut up the cards.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
so... it's the 12th - I have some big spends. When will we know the updated BA PP bonus / referral?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
cant decide whether to apply for PP today or take a gamble and see what tomorrows sign up bonus is! Any heads up on this?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
so as a follow on, Amex came back and said Mrs Geoggy was due the 30,000 Avios, but that these were only due to be credited to her account on the issue of her fifth statement.

More news /(and or lies) that isn't in their t's and c's.

Anyone had this? We have replied with the link to their own t's and c's which clearly state 30 days, not upto 6 months.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by apuleius
cant decide whether to apply for PP today or take a gamble and see what tomorrows sign up bonus is! Any heads up on this?
The 18,000 sign-up bonus is pretty standard so I'd wait until tomorrow and chance it. If it changes I expect it'll go up, not down.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver. BAEC newbie
Originally Posted by Geoggy
so as a follow on, Amex came back and said Mrs Geoggy was due the 30,000 Avios, but that these were only due to be credited to her account on the issue of her fifth statement.

More news /(and or lies) that isn't in their t's and c's.

Anyone had this? We have replied with the link to their own t's and c's which clearly state 30 days, not upto 6 months.
I hit the spend in my second month, and the bonus is being posted with my next (3rd) statement. Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:53 am

Geoggy - I had a similar experience of late crediting of Avios for BAPP. It was a pain for me as I was planning to use the Avios for an upgrade for a family member. I contacted AMEX through the website and, after being brushed off a couple of times, got it escalated to someone who acknowledged that they had been later than stated in their T&C. Was given a few Avios compensation and the reward seat was still available so all well in the end. I suggest you contact them and clearly state what is in their own terms.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
ok thanks both - I will get Mrs Geoggy to give them a call. She's a much better complainer than me!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
Well, the 12th has come and gone and I can't see any new offer yet for referral to PP card. Should I call Amex?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by apuleius
Well, the 12th has come and gone and I can't see any new offer yet for referral to PP card. Should I call Amex?
And say what? "Give me 40k miles or I won't take your card"?

Pretty sure I know what their answer will be...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
+1

It's amazing how they keep you spending without realising it.

It takes a lot of discipline to play the credit cards game properly.

If you find yourself needing to do a balance transfer it's probably time to cut up the cards.

Just noticed this.

BA like to promote Avios as your "average person's way of sitting in a premium cabin", but that's far from true.

To play the Avios game properly you need, at the very least, a decent level of disposable monthly income.

I'm fortunate that work allow me to use my own cards for company spend, meaning I accrue points fairly quickly, but I still have to find the money to pay the bills each month, as it often takes 6+ weeks to get funds back from work.

I can see how it would be very easy to rack up debt, hitting minimum spends, etc. chasing Avios and getting yourself in serious trouble.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:42 am

For those interested in the BA card, I notice that the advert banners on this page are now noting a 6K bonus until 24th October rather than the usual 18K. Main AMEX page is still showing the previous offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.