Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Cheers for that, I'll go and set him up a BAEC account. How long do I need to leave between point 4 and 5?
I don't think there is a required minimum, but I would leave it a month or so.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
My concern is that some card members are getting benefits that others are not, and yet we all pay the same fee. There is, therefore, an inequality in the way Amex are treating customers and I will have no further part in it.
That puts my point exactly and better than I was able to myself.

Like you, it wasn't that alone that prompted me cancelling but it did tip the balance against me paying the fee for another year.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Sep 18, 2012 at 1:20 am
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I have also not received the offer. I do have 360k in MR and 320k in baec. Did ANYONE with a significant MR/BAEC balance get the offer ?

I did an 80k transfer on blind faith the last time there was a 100% offer, even though I didn't get the targeted offer, and I did get the bonus, so perhaps they are targeting those that previously didnt use the 100% offer ?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Ordinarily I'd have agreed with you, but with the removal of benefits and the hike in fees I had a hard time justifying paying my renewal in the first place. This was simply the final straw.
+1: this issue has also tipped me into not renewing at the higher rate next month.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by tangey
I did an 80k transfer on blind faith the last time there was a 100% offer, even though I didn't get the targeted offer, and I did get the bonus, so perhaps they are targeting those that previously didnt use the 100% offer ?
I didn't use the 100% offer and haven't been targeted for this one either.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tangey
I have also not received the offer. I do have 360k in MR and 320k in baec. Did ANYONE with a significant MR/BAEC balance get the offer ?
Well I've over 220k MR and over 500k BA and could see the banner ad (not that I've been told about it in any other way, so would be totally unaware of it unless I'd seen the postings on here). I don't think AMEX know what your BAEC balance is anyway - they can move points into it but for Data Protection reasons I find it unlikely they'd know what the balance is. I didn't make use of the prev 100% bonus (I think it was before I got the card) but given I have plenty of Avios at present I think I'll hold off and not make use of this 40% one.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
For those getting mad at Amex for not being targetted with the bonus, do you know for sure that it is an Amex offer?
It seems more likely to me that it is a BAEC offer, as any MR transfers to BAEC will also result in a cash payment from AMEX to BAEC. Therefore it is in the interests of BAEC to encourage transfers rather than AMEX.
Now rather than having to give out a bunch of free Avios to hardcore earners (who may transfer at the normal rate), I would expect BAEC to be more interested in attracting people that haven't transfered to BAEC before, or people with low balances, to try to get them hooked.
So I wouldn't be so hasty to get mad at AMEX.

In the meantime I'm going to wait around in hope that the takeup is quite poor, and that later in the year BAEC realise they aren't going to hit their cashflow targets and decide to run another 100% offer!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex will have a budget, of sorts, for the amount of cash they are willing to handover to BA, VS etc (compared with the zero cash they handover whilst points stay unredeemed). Amex will therefore have capped the number of people they offer this. By now Amex will know what percentage of people targetted will respond and what percentage of their balance they will move.

I doubt BA or VS care, probably more the merrier for them, it is cash in the door and the inflation creating effect of printing more miles is unlikely to worry them!

Unfortunately, for BA, they have created a lose-lose for themselves in recent years with Amex, Tesco and WorldPoint bonuses. Only if you were desperate for avios would you now convert out of any of these programmes at the standard rate since it is highly likely another bonus will be along.

Newbies will not know what a turnaround this is. For the first 7 years or so of the Tesco arrangement there was not a single bonus. Similarly, the Ba Amex bonus 2 years ago was the first I can remember since getting Plat in the 1990's. Now they come along like buses.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Amex will have a budget, of sorts, for the amount of cash they are willing to handover to BA, VS etc (compared with the zero cash they handover whilst points stay unredeemed). Amex will therefore have capped the number of people they offer this. By now Amex will know what percentage of people targetted will respond and what percentage of their balance they will move.

I doubt BA or VS care, probably more the merrier for them, it is cash in the door and the inflation creating effect of printing more miles is unlikely to worry them!
I still don't see why Amex would try to incentivise people to move MR points to BAEC, as you have just explained it means AMEX have to handover cash to BAEC. Surely BAEC have the most to gain, so they would be offering the bonus?
I suppose if you say that AMEX have a limit on cash they can spend in a year on transfers, then BAEC could offer the bonus, but AMEX get to decide who to target it at.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by britbronco22
I still don't see why Amex would try to incentivise people to move MR points to BAEC, as you have just explained it means AMEX have to handover cash to BAEC. Surely BAEC have the most to gain, so they would be offering the bonus?
I suppose if you say that AMEX have a limit on cash they can spend in a year on transfers, then BAEC could offer the bonus, but AMEX get to decide who to target it at.
It could be something as simple as the desire to remove some of the contingent liability on their balance sheet. There may be some limit with which their auditors feel comfortable. Just a wild guess.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I actually spoke to Amex about it, and their answer was "We do currently have a fantastic bonus offer for transfers to BA, but you're not having it so eff off." or something like that, anyway.

I'd have thought if it was a BA offer they'd have happily passed the buck; "Unfortunately BA chooses who is targeted for this promotion..."
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
It could be something as simple as the desire to remove some of the contingent liability on their balance sheet. There may be some limit with which their auditors feel comfortable. Just a wild guess.
I was sceptical of this at first, but after thinking it over you could be right.

The only way it make sense to reduce your contingent liability with cash, is if you are paying less cash then the worst case liability.
If there are other redemption methods more costly to AMEX than buying Avios from BAEC, then it would make sense to encourage people to convert to BAEC.

For example, the near cash transfer options for MR points are 0.5p. If they have to pay BAEC less than 0.5p per Avios, then that could reduce their liability by more than the cash paid to BAEC.

Or it could be that BAEC want to speed up cashflows from AMEX. We can only guess!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The only way it make sense to reduce your contingent liability with cash, is if you are paying less cash then the worst case liability.
If there are other redemption methods more costly to AMEX than buying Avios from BAEC, then it would make sense to encourage people to convert to BAEC.
Again, pure speculation but it might be an audit issue and not related to the actual value. There might be a point where the auditors feel uncomfortable with the levels of contingent liability?

Or it could be that BAEC want to speed up cashflows from AMEX. We can only guess!
I agree. If BA want to bring forward cash they may well offer AMEX a discount for a limited amount and for a limited time. It's then up to AMEX to work out how to fill that quota; hence a targeted offer.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA will be funding the bonus. Amex, whilst having to hand over some cash, gets kudos for running the bonus, which makes MR points more valuable and therefore makes you more loyal to Amex.

What we don't know is whether BA is capping the bonus miles it wants to award (but their love of cash would trump it I think) or Amex is capping the cash it pays out.

The bonus will also tempt some people to move to BA who otherwise would not. mR points can be cashed in for 0.5p. If you don't value an avios at well north of that, you will never transfer to BA. With a bonus, you may change your value calculation. BA therefore gets cash from Amex which would otherwise have been paid to say, say, M&S for a gift voucher.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
I cancelled my Amex Gold MR card about 1.5 months ago as I didn't want to pay the renewal fee. This was my only MR card. Prior to closing it, I recommended my wife for the Amex Gold card, which she took out, and I transferred the balance of my MR account to her (paying £15 fee) in order that we could take advantage of one of these BAEC transfer bonuses in the future.

Typically, she hasn't been targeted with this bonus, and I get home from work today to find that I've been sent the pamphlet in which I have been targeted with this offer.

I don't suppose my MR account is still active on Amex's systems, and I could pay the £15 to transfer all my wife's MR point to me, and then I transfer the points into BAEC? I've seen mention that MR members have a grace period of a few months after cancelling their only MR card. Probably wishful thinking though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.