Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by A1pax
Recently we purchased US Airways miles using BA Amex card. The rate used by Amex to convert US$ to £ seemed to be very poor (1.5745 - compared to average 1.61 by others). Has anyone noticed the poor FX rates used by Amex?
Sadly if you take their extortionate 2.99% fee into account then that would be about right.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Any update on whether inflight purchases count as BA purchases whilst using the BA Amex card and therefore x3 for Avios?

I have not received this for recent purchases and thought I had read something that suggested that the bonus Avios arrangement was being re-introduced?
My August £90 purchase using the BA PP card was credited with double Avios (3 Avios per £). The transaction was listed as from TOURVEST DUTY FREE LONDON with 270 Avios credited, described as bonus Avios (with 0 for base Avios).

It seems then that the double Avios rate for inflight purchases using the BA PP card has been reinstated.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Sadly if you take their extortionate 2.99% fee into account then that would be about right.
Thanks, Alan. You are right! I forgot about the exhorbitant 2.99% FX conversion fee!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Yes I Tweet them each time to highlight how much money I keep being stuck paying for this!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:16 pm

Is anyone else experiencing fraud alerts on their card?

I have had mine blocked twice in the last month and I know someone else who is in the same situation with the BA PP card (and incurred expensive international calls to get the card unblocked so they could check out of a hotel). With the 2.99% fx rate, charge for the card and $15 a month to unblock an delays spent redoing charges it's becoming a joke.

Having had the card and other Amex cards for sometime, it is all a bit strange and infuriating. Apparently all they can do is stop fraud stoppages for 7 days more. Advising them of transactions in advance also has no impact.

Last edited by COOLIO; Sep 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by COOLIO
Is anyone else experiencing fraud alerts on their card?

I have had mine blocked twice in the last month and I know someone else who is in the same situation with the BA PP card (and incurred expensive international calls to get the card unblocked so they could check out of a hotel).
Are you using the card to book the flights? Amex have all the flight details (For BA anyway), so you would kind of hope they would use the information to help with misuse.

That said, whilst I present an Amex card on arrival, I normally give a fee free card on departure, when I know I don't have any hotel related travel insurance claims to make.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Roger
My August £90 purchase using the BA PP card was credited with double Avios (3 Avios per £). The transaction was listed as from TOURVEST DUTY FREE LONDON with 270 Avios credited, described as bonus Avios (with 0 for base Avios).

It seems then that the double Avios rate for inflight purchases using the BA PP card has been reinstated.
Thanks.

Silly me.

I checked and see that I got the triple Avios.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
For UK based members the Amex Gold card now has a 22,000 sign up bonus back for anyone being referred. The first year is still free.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Arrived at LHR this morning around 6:00am after over a week in DXB happily charging away on my BAPP with no problems to find I received a txt message "possible fraud alert" at 05:42 this morning.

I called to see what it was all about and it turns out the $40 tesco delivery I ordered today was what had triggered it. Never mind the £200+ meals I've been paying for all week in DXB, no they were absolutely fine, even though I never told them I was going away, but they actually declined £40 to tesco groceries who I buy from pretty much every week, the mind boggles!!!

And what's up with texting me fraud alerts at such an ungodly hour???
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Funnily enough Tesco's is the only place I've ever had an Amex referral.

Did you change your order several times after first checking out?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by stifle
Funnily enough Tesco's is the only place I've ever had an Amex referral.

Did you change your order several times after first checking out?
Changed it once
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
They preauthorise the total on your card each time you check out, so if you change a lot of times they will sometimes trigger fraud. Don't think it would happen for just two checkouts though.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
And what's up with texting me fraud alerts at such an ungodly hour???
Was the delivery later that day? Just a wild guess, but it could be the time that the order had been picked in the store and run through the 'checkout'? I've never really paid much attention to what time that transaction goes through.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
I called to see what it was all about and it turns out the $40 tesco delivery I ordered today was what had triggered it.
Surely a delivery from Tesco that's going to end up presumably at the address registered on the card is hardly likely to be fraud anyway?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfmad
Surely a delivery from Tesco that's going to end up presumably at the address registered on the card is hardly likely to be fraud anyway?
Yep, same address!

There's absolutely no reason I can think of why this would have triggered a fraud alert. It's just silly, especially given the low amount and the number of times I have ordered in exactly the same way previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.