Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by louie-m
Not if you get Membership Reward points. He's referring to the Platinum card - https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...platinum-card/
Dammit

Big spends coming up but can't face taking the bapp out without a decent bonus
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
What happens if I need to refund a flight and I no longer have/use the original payment card/account?
I had the MBNA bmi AmEx and had paid for some flights on it. I then cancelled the card, and then the flights. The card showed as closed with a £2k credit balance on the online management site. A call to MBNA had it moved back to my bank account pretty rapidly.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Sep 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
What happens if I need to refund a flight and I no longer have/use the original payment card/account?
I had this happen once. The bank involved posted me a cheque several weeks later.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:13 pm

One of those answers that I can't find but I'm sure is out there...

I'm expecting to pass the £3000 initial 3 month spend to trigger the 40k bonus, but I missed an initial month of spend due the card arriving while I was a way for a few weeks, so will be a bit tighter on the target than I'd anticipated. But not sure how close yet.

I'm anticipating taking a few items back to the retailers I bought them from. If the returns take the nett spend for the three months back below £3k does the bonus not get paid, even if I've subsequently spent more to keep total spend to date over £3k?

For example, purchase £3050 of items in three months. Then spend £200 in month 4, but return £100 of items that made the £3050 total. What If I waited until month 6 to return the items? John Lewis are very accomodating .
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Why take the risk? If I were you I'd simply buy some gift vouchers for whichever supermarket you do your food shopping in.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
One of those answers that I can't find but I'm sure is out there...

I'm expecting to pass the £3000 initial 3 month spend to trigger the 40k bonus, but I missed an initial month of spend due the card arriving while I was a way for a few weeks, so will be a bit tighter on the target than I'd anticipated. But not sure how close yet.

I'm anticipating taking a few items back to the retailers I bought them from. If the returns take the nett spend for the three months back below £3k does the bonus not get paid, even if I've subsequently spent more to keep total spend to date over £3k?

For example, purchase £3050 of items in three months. Then spend £200 in month 4, but return £100 of items that made the £3050 total. What If I waited until month 6 to return the items? John Lewis are very accomodating .
Agreed, too risky. Just book a BA fully flex flight or some supermarket gift vouchers.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by dc2447
Dammit

Big spends coming up but can't face taking the bapp out without a decent bonus
You could take the bmi credit card (the free card earns at the same rate as BAPP 1.5 miles/£ and comes with a visa that earns 0.75 miles/£), or if it really big spend then pay £85 for the bmi Plus card(2 miles/£ Amex, 1 mile/£ Visa). You also get 20000 miles for signing up and spending just £250.

If you're not already a bmi diamond club member sign up for that first as although MBNA say they can create a diamond club account for you, they don't tell you the number so you have to phone them and ask. So just sign up online.

You can transfer diamond club miles to BA Avios at a rate of 1:1 thanks to BA's takeover of bmi.

Then once a decent sign up offer comes along go for the BAPP card.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Agreed, too risky. Just book a BA fully flex flight or some supermarket gift vouchers.
I see cancelling a flex flight in 6 months as the same thing, but delaying the uncertainty.

And I thought buying gift vouchers would count as a cash purchase, so would pick up interest charges straight away.

The £50 'error margin' in my above example understates the wriggle room I need: it was just to keep the number simple. But a few 00 of vouchers sounds like a reasonable way out if they don't have the pitfalls I thought they did. Thanks ^.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
And I thought buying gift vouchers would count as a cash purchase, so would pick up interest charges straight away.
No, they are treated as a purchase.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Olly-
No, they are treated as a purchase.
Also don't forget the Tesco 150 clubcard points for each £50 of giftcard purchases. Note these are the third party giftcards (Debenhams, Pizza Express, etc) not Tesco's own cards.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Blue
Has anyone else received the following offer by email this morning?

Our Hottest Ever Offer
It's not often that you get offered more and less, but this is our hottest ever offer, for very special British Airways American Express® Premium Plus Credit Cardmembers.

More Avios
If you spend and charge over £3,500 each month between 5 November 2012 and 5 February 2013, you will automatically be credited with 3,500 Avios, just to keep those summer feelings going.

Low promotional rate
Additionally, we are pleased to offer you a 3.99% p.a. promotional rate for all your purchases during this period. Let the good times roll on and on.

To take advantage of this offer, you must click below and enter the unique code – it's that easy. But hurry you must activate this offer by 26 October 2012.
£3,500/month spend for three consecutive months is not a trifling sum, though I imagine that as this covers the xmas period it might be within the bounds of achievability for some. I'm not really sure what my spend levels will be over the next few months so will have to wait and see, but it's a nice wee offer anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No, its a terrible offer!

Basically 20% bonus Avios - and you'd still earn more Avios on £10,500 of spending by using the BMI Amex (paid version)!

You have the hassle of making sure each chunk of £3,500 goes into the right month (is it statement date or transaction date?) which the Christmas holiday will mess up a bit as well. Most people are also not big spenders in January.

For 10,500 bonus Avios I may have thought about it. For 3,500, my card is staying in the desk.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teefaf
Has anyone else received the following offer by email this morning?

£3,500/month spend for three consecutive months is not a trifling sum, though I imagine that as this covers the xmas period it might be within the bounds of achievability for some. I'm not really sure what my spend levels will be over the next few months so will have to wait and see, but it's a nice wee offer anyway.
I'm surprised I never got this offer as I was constantly spending over £3500 every month until the BA takeover of bmi and then I switched all my non-BA spending to the better earning bmi plus Amex.

As presumably American Express don't know why my spending has dramatically dropped (although BA might depending how well the analyse diamond club data) then I thought Amex would try and encourage me to up my spending again.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Blue
No, its a terrible offer!
Haha, yes it is. But I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth as so many here so often do (with you as a specific exception, Raffles! ). If I meet the spend levels then great I get a small number of extra points. If I don't, then I'm no worse off.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
The trade off, for you, is how long you want to pay the £37 per month Plat fee before cancelling.
Do what I did - take out the Gold card, which is fee-free for the first year, and then cancel the Platinum. Give you a year longer to hopefully get a transfer bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.