Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by magyaar
I'm really struggling with what Avis Cyprus are doing...

Are they saying that the *only* option they provide is to pay for all the fuel in the tank and they will not compensate for anything you bring back?
This is becoming more common, so it wouldn't surprise me. I think a lot of the holiday rentals in Mallorca do it for example. Even with a fair bit of grocery shopping and exploring over a fortnight it is difficult to use more than half a tank on the island.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by gally
I'm not really sure why you felt the need to fill the tank up just before you returned the car based on what you have said.
Because I was an idiot and didn't sit down in the car park after 6-7 hours travelling and make my wife and daughter wait in the sweltering heat while I read through the small print on the document which I believed was simply a vehicle condition report and not a change of terms.

Had I been given this change of terms document at the desk where I signed the rental agreement I would have definitely given it a quick read and spotted it.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by origin
I have to be honest, my cyprus trip got cancelled a few years ago, due to family reasons. So I havent really looked into car companies for any reason.

I dont know if this is because of you or not. I am not suggesting that anything is your fault. The two of lifes real hates, include cars. Hire cars and garages.

However, on the website, http://www.avis.com.cy/about_booking.html

I didn't book through Avis.com.cy, I booked through avis.co.uk and on the email booking confirmation it said.....

FUEL OPTIONS
Consider our Fuel Up Front option.
Buy a tank of fuel at the start of your rental, saving the hassle of finding a petrol station when you return. Fuel is charged at or below local petrol station prices and if you end up returning your car full, we will refund the cost of the fuel you have purchased up front.
As the guy on the desk told me there was a full tank of fuel in the car I naively assumed this was the option they had chosen for me by default.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
I didn't book through Avis.com.cy, I booked through avis.co.uk and on the email booking confirmation it said.....

As the guy on the desk told me there was a full tank of fuel in the car I naively assumed this was the option they had chosen for me by default.
AIUI if you actually booked on the UK site and not only considered but selected that option you will have UK consumer protection.

Is there a 'Governed by the Law of...' on the contract? I've always found that Trading Standards will give help understanding your options.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

I have to say it's not naive in the slightest. In all scenarios, the car will have a full tank of fuel in there. And in either case - according to what you both expected to happen and what was in the initial email - it should have cost you nothing to take the car back full.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by magyaar
I have to say it's not naive in the slightest. In all scenarios, the car will have a full tank of fuel in there. And in either case - according to what you both expected to happen and what was in the initial email - it should have cost you nothing to take the car back full.
It does cost.

In Mallorca this year they charged me for a full tank of petrol on the car (despite there being no chance of me using it all), as my rental was "over 3 days" and this is standard, apparently.

So if I'd returned the car full, I'd have paid twice.

From what I can make of PanGalatic's situation, he was under the impression that he paid for a tank of fuel, but that any amount left over was refunded.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
From what I can make of PanGalatic's situation, he was under the impression that he paid for a tank of fuel, but that any amount left over was refunded.
Not quite. I think he thought he'd paid for a full tank of fuel, but if he brought it back full then it would be refunded. This is standard in the UK, for example, from avis.co.uk:

Bring Back Full
No charge even if you took the Fuel Up Front option when you picked up your car
So that's why it would make sense to top the car up (otherwise why would he have bothered to top it up if he thought what was in there was going to refunded).
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Are there any sign up bonuses or cashbacks in the gold card?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdj1
Are there any sign up bonuses or cashbacks in the gold card?
Yes - at present £10 cashback from Quidco, with zero-fee for the first year and 20,000 MR points. If referred then you get 22,000 MR points instead - probably worth more than £10 (although depends how you value Avios) - obviously happy to refer, just drop me a PM if you want a referral!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No brainer, do a referral. At the very worst you can redeem the extra 2,000 MR points for a £10 statement credit, so that is equal to the Quidco offer. And you are likely to be able to get 1p per MR point if you redeem for airline or hotel points.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
No brainer, do a referral. At the very worst you can redeem the extra 2,000 MR points for a £10 statement credit, so that is equal to the Quidco offer. And you are likely to be able to get 1p per MR point if you redeem for airline or hotel points.
Good point re the statement credit - I was just trying to not push the referral route too hard but you're quite right that it's worth a minimum of £10 anyway!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:33 am

Topcashback has £25.25 cashback for a Gold card which is probably a better route than a referral at the moment?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Olly-
Topcashback has £25.25 cashback for a Gold card which is probably a better route than a referral at the moment?
Agreed. Exclusive Rate, Expires in 6 Days it says.

Odd how the amounts jump about. TCB is only doing £30 on the SPG Amex whilst Quidco is £40.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
cashback is a possibility and not guaranteed, I'd also be wary of some cashback providers

Justa thought
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:07 am

Yes, looks like we need a proper cashback comparison website! - sadly the MSE one (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...ashBackResults) doesn't seem to be that reliable (it currently doesn't list the PRG under TCB yet does under Quidco)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.