Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

Similarly, the Ba Amex bonus 2 years ago was the first I can remember since getting Plat in the 1990's. Now they come along like buses.
Very true.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Red
I received an expensive-looking brochure from Amex yesterday, outlining the travel benefits of Amex and highlighting the bonuses for transferring to BA, Virgin etc. When I checked online, it's still showing at 1:1 but I spoke with an Amex agent who said that it is BA who will provide the 40% additional Avios, so the transfer rate will show as 1:1 and that as long as I received the mailing directly, I would receive the bonus Avios, when BA get around to awarding them at the end of Oct (not quite her exact words).

I didn't get the bonus last time and was mightily peeved, particularly as I needed to transfer some rewards then - I agree with the comments on here - everyone is paying the same card fee so why is everyone not treated equally. Last time the bonus came around I had around 50k miles, I had to transfer 35k at the time and have 48k at the minute so guess I'm not a huge collector, which is why I may have been targeted, although that doesn't really explain why I got it this time and not the last.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Amex is correct. They go across at 1:1 and at some point in the random future (weeks, not days) BA will add the extra.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
For anyone interested in the London Restaurant Festival 2012 from 1-15 October there is a 15% off promotional code (Code: ESLRF) Festival Tickets in today's ES food magazine supplement and there are double Avios / MR points on offer as well.

Even though it says the promotional code can be used online in the magazine I cannot see how to enter the code on Ticketmaster but maybe try phoning Ticketmaster instead.

Last edited by heggers03; Sep 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm Reason: added double Avios on offer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by taff_2003
I cancelled my Amex Gold MR card about 1.5 months ago as I didn't want to pay the renewal fee. This was my only MR card. Prior to closing it, I recommended my wife for the Amex Gold card, which she took out, and I transferred the balance of my MR account to her (paying £15 fee) in order that we could take advantage of one of these BAEC transfer bonuses in the future.

Typically, she hasn't been targeted with this bonus, and I get home from work today to find that I've been sent the pamphlet in which I have been targeted with this offer.

I don't suppose my MR account is still active on Amex's systems, and I could pay the £15 to transfer all my wife's MR point to me, and then I transfer the points into BAEC? I've seen mention that MR members have a grace period of a few months after cancelling their only MR card. Probably wishful thinking though...
As I understand it an MR account survives six months after the cancellation of the last MR card. Try phoning up.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Any update on whether inflight purchases count as BA purchases whilst using the BA Amex card and therefore x3 for Avios?

I have not received this for recent purchases and thought I had read something that suggested that the bonus Avios arrangement was being re-introduced?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Wow - rather impressed with the speed there - on the transaction that took me over the £3k spend target on my BAPP it showed:
- Additional bonus (equalling 40k total) 0 22,000
- 18,000 bonus Avios 0 18,000
No issues re. billing cycles, incorrect bonus, not posting at all - I wasn't prepared for it to work this well! (now to see whether the pro-rata fee refund on a/c cancellation works just as well!)

Last edited by EDIflyer; Sep 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Has anyone relied on the Platinum car insurance when booking a US fly drive holiday with Virgin?

The holiday comes with "basic insurance" (ie. 3rd party liability, $1 million liability cover).

It comes with no CDW, Airport Fees, Pre payable state taxes etc.

When you add these, Virgin whack on £286 for a fortnight holiday in the US.

This seems a lot for CDW and a few taxes!!

If I just went with the basic car hire, I assume Amex Plat would cover me if we paid part of the holiday with it?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Has anyone relied on the Platinum car insurance when booking a US fly drive holiday with Virgin?

The holiday comes with "basic insurance" (ie. 3rd party liability, $1 million liability cover).

It comes with no CDW, Airport Fees, Pre payable state taxes etc.

When you add these, Virgin whack on £286 for a fortnight holiday in the US.

This seems a lot for CDW and a few taxes!!

If I just went with the basic car hire, I assume Amex Plat would cover me if we paid part of the holiday with it?
I use my Amex insurance for all car hire around the world (Plat in US and Centurion in UK). They have resolved a couple of issues for me satisfactorily with Avis in the last couple of years. I don't take the extra insurance from the car rental company.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I got some random offer about double Avios for eating at some restaurants between 1-15 October today.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by stifle
I got some random offer about double Avios for eating at some restaurants between 1-15 October today.
Post or email?

Got a list of them?

Do you have to register or anything?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Came in the post with the statement. All details at www.londonrestaurantfestival.com/amex. Does not appear to have any registration requirement, although I can't rule out it being targeted.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Post or email?

Got a list of them?

Do you have to register or anything?
You mention food, and you can bet your last pound that PanGalactic's head will pop up within a few minutes!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
You mention food, and you can bet your last pound that PanGalactic's head will pop up within a few minutes!
I thought that was his reaction to bonus Avios?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:17 am

poor forex conversion rates by Amex :(

Recently we purchased US Airways miles using BA Amex card. The rate used by Amex to convert US$ to £ seemed to be very poor (1.5745 - compared to average 1.61 by others). Has anyone noticed the poor FX rates used by Amex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.