Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Is it possible to cancel an amex plat card yet retain the MR account - or can one switch from a plat card to a fee-free card to enable this?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: British Airways
Foursquare deal - this is the first time i heard of this. I just googled it and read a bit about it and have now created an account and sync my amex. But not sure I understand correctly how it works.

I guess i need to download the app and then i will be able to access the offers - i will do this from home cause dont have wifi at the moment.

Apart from paying with the card do i need to do anything else? print/show a code?

So if i spend £25 at House of Fraser do i get it all back on Amex??? what am i missing?

thanks
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by twanny76
Foursquare deal - this is the first time i heard of this. I just googled it and read a bit about it and have now created an account and sync my amex. But not sure I understand correctly how it works.

I guess i need to download the app and then i will be able to access the offers - i will do this from home cause dont have wifi at the moment.

Apart from paying with the card do i need to do anything else? print/show a code?

So if i spend £25 at House of Fraser do i get it all back on Amex??? what am i missing?

thanks
You have to be in the vicinity of the store, then fire up foursquare app on your phone and 'check in' at the store. A badge will come up saying you unlocked a special and ask you to click a button to 'load offer to card'...then you just go and spend on your synced amex and a credit will be applied to your statement in due course.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Is it possible to cancel an amex plat card yet retain the MR account - or can one switch from a plat card to a fee-free card to enable this?
You need a valid card to keep your MR account alive. I took out the Gold card and then cancelled the Platinum and got the full £450 refunded. It was fee-free for the first year (i think it still is).

They did muck things up a bit and create a new MR account for me when I took out the Gold card so I had to get them to merge that with the old one before they cancelled the Platinum card.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:05 am

There isn't a fee free card with Membership Rewards, but you could downgrade to Green (£60/year) to keep your MR account alive.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
The Amex Gold Membership Rewards Card is still currently free for the first year - link.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
.....deleted
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You get a 6 month window after you cancel the card (check this, but I think its 6 months) to get another MR-earning card.

This was done so that people who had a Corporate Amex and who got fired didn't lose their points overnight when their corporate card was cancelled.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think I'm right in saying that churners should beware. If youclose a cc but leave the MR account open and then apply for a new gold/plat card you won't trigger any bonus points.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Raffles
Indeed.

How they can go from 40,000 Avios to 6,000 Avios within 2 months is beyond me.

Sit and wait until 24 October, I think. It's not as if the card is the best earner out there, given you get 2 per £1 with the BMI Amex fee version.

Use the time to get the Hilton card which is my preferred choice at the moment - a free night for signing up (£250 value if you're smart) and 10,000 Hilton points as well if you use the link posted on Head for Points a couple of days ago.
btw - one of the US Hilton Amex cards offers 2 free nights, not just 1.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
I'm feeling quite happy I jumped at the 40k offer!
Same here. 6K is rubbish in comparison.
Originally Posted by 5pike
I got a BA PP card when the 40k offer was around, I got a month left and i'm just short of the spend. However someone pointed out to me as I already hold an Amex Platinum I might not be able to claim the BA offer. I was under the impression they are 2 separate entities and therefore the offer on the BA card would still be valid. Can someone please clarify.

Thanks
Not to worry; I have a normal membership rewards account and took up the 40K promo offer. I cleared the spend threshold in one go and my account is showing the 40K (plus whatever else) under Avios to be transferred to your next Executive Club statement.

They are all the one "entity" but it would appear that the bonus is still valid.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Does AMEX still send Snail Mail also to advise of a tagretted MR promo? I remember last year receiving something in the post advising of a MR>BA bonus in the very last week of the increased rate period.
Yes, I saw the banner online last week, and received a membership rewards brochure in the post today with 40% BA bonus, 35% Virgin bonus, 20% Etihad bonus and others
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by marcusr
Yes, I saw the banner online last week, and received a membership rewards brochure in the post today with 40% BA bonus, 35% Virgin bonus, 20% Etihad bonus and others
I got the brochure, no offers in it for BA though.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Presidents Club, Europcar Privilege Elite, HHonours Gold, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
Same here. 6K is rubbish in comparison.

Not to worry; I have a normal membership rewards account and took up the 40K promo offer. I cleared the spend threshold in one go and my account is showing the 40K (plus whatever else) under Avios to be transferred to your next Executive Club statement.

They are all the one "entity" but it would appear that the bonus is still valid.
stifle, thanks for the response also. The person I spoke with at Amex actually called me back this morning and confirmed that indeed the 40k would get credited on reaching the spend which I will clear in the next 2 weeks.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by billgrates3
btw - one of the US Hilton Amex cards offers 2 free nights, not just 1.
Yes sadly most of the US card deals are far superior to what we're offered here in the UK - but for what we can pick from the Hilton one isn't bad at all (albeit run terribly poorly by Barclaycard, just like the PriorityClubRewards VISA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.