Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by phol
I know you don't accrue miles on foreign spend
Really? I didn't know that. Surely spend is spend regardless of the country you're in?

On my statement it defines qualifying spend as:

**Qualifying spend excludes cash withdrawals, interest, balance transfers and fees.

There's no mention about excluding foreign transactions for either spend thresholds or avios collection.

Last edited by golfmad; Dec 21, 2011 at 10:34 am Reason: gm: checked terms on statement
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
I have a couple of questions around hitting the 2-4-1 voucher with a basic blue card:

1) I have about 8k worth of qualifying spend on there now and until the end of July to hit 20k. If i take out/upgrade to a Premium Plus card now will the membership date/spend total be reset, or would I then just need an extra 2k by July to get the 2-4-1 voucher?

2) The remaining 2k is likely to be in foreign currency. I know you don't accrue miles on foreign spend, but the 3rd point in the T&C's looks as though foreign spend is still qualifying spend for the 2-4-1?
Definitely qualifying spend - and I am not so sure about not getting miles on foreign spend.... Never done it myself though.

Point 1) will upgrade from current spend I understand. Best to do over phone with amex.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Of course you get miles with foreign spend! Indeed on some cards mentioned around here, you get double miles on foreign spend.

The only thing to factor in is the virtual 3% surcharge for using your card abroad. Does the extra cost justify the miles? (Not in my case for personal spend. I use Visa/Mastercards with 0% surcharge and no miles.)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Of course you get miles with foreign spend! Indeed on some cards mentioned around here, you get double miles on foreign spend.

The only thing to factor in is the virtual 3% surcharge for using your card abroad. Does the extra cost justify the miles? (Not in my case for personal spend. I use Visa/Mastercards with 0% surcharge and no miles.)
T&C's on the Amex website:

37.3 No Avios will accrue in respect of:
(i) any interest, or fees, or the amount of any balance transfer, cash advance
(including gambling transactions), American Express Travellers Cheque
purchases or foreign exchange transactions;

Unless that means buying travel money? Quite ambiguous if so.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Unless that means buying travel money?
I believe that refers to buying foreign cash. Making purchases of goods or services overseas should earn miles and be qualifying spend in the same way as making purchases of goods or services in the UK. That's how it's always worked on my Amex PP, and on other mileage earning credit cards.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I have a couple of questions around hitting the 2-4-1 voucher with a basic blue card:

1) I have about 8k worth of qualifying spend on there now and until the end of July to hit 20k. If i take out/upgrade to a Premium Plus card now will the membership date/spend total be reset, or would I then just need an extra 2k by July to get the 2-4-1 voucher?

2) The remaining 2k is likely to be in foreign currency. I know you don't accrue miles on foreign spend, but the 3rd point in the T&C's looks as though foreign spend is still qualifying spend for the 2-4-1?
Removed - seems I was wrong

Last edited by dc2447; Dec 21, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Upgrading from basic to PP keeps the spend you've done and will trigger the voucher if you've already spent over £10K.

Foreign spend does give miles - the T&C referenced is for foreign currency purchases.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Foreign spend does give miles - the T&C referenced is for foreign currency purchases.
That's confirmed by the white smoke from my BA [cheap Blue] Amex when we're in the USA. Groceries, shopping, dining and drinking ... you name it, they're all earning Miles/Avios/Debt
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... foreign exchange transactions;

Unless that means buying travel money?
@:-)
Quite ambiguous if so.
Sorry, no. Foreign exchange is foreign exchange, as opposed to foreign spend. You were asking about foreign spend.

'Foreign exchange' = cash, and there are virtually never miles for cash. 'Foreign exchange' doesn't only take place abroad, it even happens in the UK.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:42 pm

quick call to amex confirmed what others have already said - if i upgrade i will only need another 2k to hit the voucher. thanks for all the answers.

to add in response to the above post - any transaction involving fx is an fx transaction by my eyes. i trade it for a living so i'd hope i have half an idea what I'm talking about there...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
to add in response to the above post - any transaction involving fx is an fx transaction by my eyes. i trade it for a living so i'd hope i have half an idea what I'm talking about there...
Linguistics aside, I can confirm from personal experience (as others have done) that purchases in overseas countries (priced in foreign currency, then converted to UK currency [in a two-stage process, via US dollars, ISTR] DEFINITELY do qualify for Avios, just like domestic purchases.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by larryflyer
Linguistics aside, I can confirm from personal experience (as others have done) that purchases in overseas countries (priced in foreign currency, then converted to UK currency [in a two-stage process, via US dollars, ISTR] DEFINITELY do qualify for Avios, just like domestic purchases.
Indeed.

Lots of Avios from lots of expensive overseas trips!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:27 pm

PayPal card

I used to have the old Paypal prepaid card that helped hit the 241 voucher but I see they have slightly revamped it. Can you still use it to pre load money from your Amex BA PP or is that option no longer possible?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... any transaction involving fx is an fx transaction by my eyes.
Sounds likely, and foreign spend is foreign spend.
i trade it for a living so i'd hope i have half an idea what I'm talking about there...
Jolly good, but it is when you said:
I know you don't accrue miles on foreign spend, but the 3rd point in the T&C's looks as though foreign spend is still qualifying spend for the 2-4-1?
that you got people scratching their heads.

So, no miles for foreign exchange*; miles for foreign spend.

* That's for card purposes. Travelex offer Avios on some transactions, but that's a promotion and is available for all forms of payment AFAIK.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: BA, VS
Generating spend for 2-4-1 voucher

I read this on PTS:

"paypal - link your amex card - send money to your other half or anyone else you trust to give you the money back. On paypal you can send money to people for any reason - not just purchases. this costs you 3.4% so £34 for every £1000 you put through - or £340 for an entire £10k through - of course you get 15k miles for this".

Is this a legitimate way of generating 'spend'? I have not checked the Paypal T&Cs yet. I'm not sure at what point it becomes money laundering!

Has anyone any experience of this? I would not expect to shove the whole £10k through Paypal but it could be useful if I am still a few thousand short as I approach the end of the year. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.