Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Looking for some help with understanding how to search/find flights to book with miles. I'm looking to fly from LAX to Europe. Zurich, Geneva or even Milan. One way or even RT starting March 28/29/30 departure and return April 14/15.

I have a Lifemiles account. Select Star Alliance or even Lufthansa and I'm able to see any flights come up for Business Class flights. I do see the "More fare options" boxes. I don't suppose there's a calendar view I'm just not able to find?

When I change departure cities to SFO I can see a few economy options, but I'd really prefer Business.
The TATL market ex LAX is a really difficult market for lifemiles... in fact most of the USA TATL is. I usually see Swiss out of ORD or one of the east coast cities. Of Lufhansa F out of places like ORD or JFK. But LM doesn't always like connections... so even if ORD is available, nothing might come up out of LAX.

In answer to your other question, LM always used to follw the standard Star alliance booking codes... O for F, I for biz class and X for coach.
cajunguy and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The TATL market ex LAX is a really difficult market for lifemiles... in fact most of the USA TATL is. I usually see Swiss out of ORD or one of the east coast cities. Of Lufhansa F out of places like ORD or JFK. But LM doesn't always like connections... so even if ORD is available, nothing might come up out of LAX.

In answer to your other question, LM always used to follw the standard Star alliance booking codes... O for F, I for biz class and X for coach.
If I'm not able to see the flights on LifeMiles but able to see them on UA's site would I be able to call in or email LifeMiles asking to help with the booking?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
It would only be worth it in the unlikely chance that what you're seeing on UA is I fare, and you can't see *that* on LM. The JN stuff is irrelevant because it doesn't represent space made available to partners.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm not able to see the flights on LifeMiles but able to see them on UA's site would I be able to call in or email LifeMiles asking to help with the booking?
mildfrequence is correct... award availability is *not* uniform or guaranteed across star alliance partners. Some airlines have awards just for their own members, and some provide different availability to different partners. Finally, some airlines only display certain awards to their members (LM often doesn't like connections for example). UA's availability on their own website is a guide, but not really much more.

The LM/Avianca call centre can only see what we can see. And can only book entire itineraries.

However, if you were to find LAX-ORD and then ORD-ZRH you could take screenshots of both of those flights and email them in to request a manual booking (the call centre won't piece together separate flights). You'd need three screenshots for this... the LAX-ORD flight, the ORD-ZRH flight and a final one showing no availability LAX-ZRH as a single search. You send these attachments via email to lifemiles support together with a picture of your passport. They will get back to you in around 24-72 hours to confirm the booking and advise how they will contact you to take payment.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:33 pm

mildfrequence is correct... award availability is *not* uniform or guaranteed across star alliance partners. Some airlines have awards just for their own members, and some provide different availability to different partners. Finally, some airlines only display certain awards to their members (LM often doesn't like connections for example). UA's availability on their own website is a guide, but not really much more.

The LM/Avianca call centre can only see what we can see. And can only book entire itineraries.

However, if you were to find LAX-ORD and then ORD-ZRH you could take screenshots of both of those flights and email them in to request a manual booking (the call centre won't piece together separate flights). You'd need three screenshots for this... the LAX-ORD flight, the ORD-ZRH flight and a final one showing no availability LAX-ZRH as a single search. You send these attachments via email to lifemiles support together with a picture of your passport. They will get back to you in around 24-72 hours to confirm the booking and advise how they will contact you to take payment.
THIS is soooo helpful! Thank you!!! If I search for the legs separately and only see them in economy and not in business can this method of emailing as you stated still work requesting business class?

Last edited by cajunguy; Jan 10, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THIS is soooo helpful! Thank you!!!
I should have clarified that it's a picture of your photo page from your passport

The 'screen shot method' (it's a 'thing' and you can google it if you need more information) is not guaranteed, but it usually works. You also need patience with it because sometimes you hear nothing back for a few days, and when they do call you for payment it could be at 1am! (or you miss their call and have to call back during very specific hours). I have never had a screenshot denied... a couple of times the flights I sent in weren't available so they found alternatives. But others have had availability disappear between the time of sending the email and the 'special team' (also a 'thing') actioning it.

Others may disagree but I find the LM special team highly competent and actually very good at what they do. Difficult to get in touch with, work odd hours, but generally very friendly and efficient once they attend to your matter.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:59 pm

I should have clarified that it's a picture of your photo page from your passport

The 'screen shot method' (it's a 'thing' and you can google it if you need more information) is not guaranteed, but it usually works. You also need patience with it because sometimes you hear nothing back for a few days, and when they do call you for payment it could be at 1am! (or you miss their call and have to call back during very specific hours). I have never had a screenshot denied... a couple of times the flights I sent in weren't available so they found alternatives. But others have had availability disappear between the time of sending the email and the 'special team' (also a 'thing') actioning it.

Others may disagree but I find the LM special team highly competent and actually very good at what they do. Difficult to get in touch with, work odd hours, but generally very friendly and efficient once they attend to your matter.
If I search for the legs separately and only see them in economy and not in business can this method of emailing as you stated still work requesting business class?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF, LM
If I search for the legs separately and only see them in economy and not in business can this method of emailing as you stated still work requesting business class?
Unfortunately not.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As juddles says, this is not a workaround. The screenshot method is to book *available* flights which do not show up as a complete end-to-end itinerary. The special team will only book what’s in your screenshots… so if you send coach, they’ll book coach. You can however booked mixed class travel this way, so coach from LAX to ORD, and then biz class to ZRH. Swiss usually has good availability in biz class out of ORD.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:51 am

As juddles says, this is not a workaround. The screenshot method is to book *available* flights which do not show up as a complete end-to-end itinerary. The special team will only book what’s in your screenshots… so if you send coach, they’ll book coach. You can however booked mixed class travel this way, so coach from LAX to ORD, and then biz class to ZRH. Swiss usually has good availability in biz class out of ORD.
Thank you!!

Searching for LAX to ORD on LM for my travel date they have 1 flight listed with stops in AUH, IAH and finally ORD for 11 hours of travel time. That's really not going to work.

Searching ORD to ZRH on LM they have 1 flight from Swiss and only showing economy available.

When I search LM for LAX to SFO I see a very early flight to SFO, arriving at 7am. On a separate search I see SFO to ZRH that leaves at 8pm only showing economy. The 8pm departure is fine. I could just pay for the LAX-SFO flight and leave it at that. While getting to SFO from LA isn't that big a deal I was hoping to have this all on one ticket. Also, since it's only showing economy as with ORD to ZRH, would this be where I send a screen shot asking for the Business class booking?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!!

Searching for LAX to ORD on LM for my travel date they have 1 flight listed with stops in AUH, IAH and finally ORD for 11 hours of travel time. That's really not going to work.

Searching ORD to ZRH on LM they have 1 flight from Swiss and only showing economy available.

When I search LM for LAX to SFO I see a very early flight to SFO, arriving at 7am. On a separate search I see SFO to ZRH that leaves at 8pm only showing economy. The 8pm departure is fine. I could just pay for the LAX-SFO flight and leave it at that. While getting to SFO from LA isn't that big a deal I was hoping to have this all on one ticket. Also, since it's only showing economy as with ORD to ZRH, would this be where I send a screen shot asking for the Business class booking?
If the SFO-ZRH is only showing economy than that's all you'd be able to ask for.

The screenshot method would come in to play in the following example... you search LAX-ZRH but nothing comes up, or only economy shows. However... doing sector by sector searches you find LAX-SFO in coach, then SFO-ZRH in business. You'd send the screenshots asking for the LAX-SFO-ZRH to be booked as one ticket, albeit mixed class (eco/biz). (Another example might be a search Shanghai to Sydney shows nothing, but sector searches you find Shanghai-Bangkok and then Bangkok-Sydney. You'd use screenshots to ask for the PVG-BKK-SYD to be ticketed as one. But only on the classes showing available on the sector searches.)
mlqsko, cajunguy and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:16 pm

If the SFO-ZRH is only showing economy than that's all you'd be able to ask for.

The screenshot method would come in to play in the following example... you search LAX-ZRH but nothing comes up, or only economy shows. However... doing sector by sector searches you find LAX-SFO in coach, then SFO-ZRH in business. You'd send the screenshots asking for the LAX-SFO-ZRH to be booked as one ticket, albeit mixed class (eco/biz). (Another example might be a search Shanghai to Sydney shows nothing, but sector searches you find Shanghai-Bangkok and then Bangkok-Sydney. You'd use screenshots to ask for the PVG-BKK-SYD to be ticketed as one. But only on the classes showing available on the sector searches.)
This is super helpful! Thank you!!

The hurdle I'm running into is that I can find I class flights from like EWR on the preferred date and from ORD from the next day but I can't seem to find I class flights to either EWR or ORD.

Buying a coach ticket to either wouldn't be the end of the world but then we'd have to probably deal with checked bags at either EWR or ORD to get and then go through check-in and security again. Also, not a huge pain.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: SK, LH
question about upgrades using Lifemiles:
if i book a business class flight using lifemiles on a LH flight and before my flight if first class is available (as LH release first only couple of days before), can i upgrade my biz seat to first class using lifemiles?
https://www.lifemiles.com/fly/upgrades
as per this page, it is possible by ringing them. but just wanted to check if anyone has done it.
the flight is on LH europe to asia.
(LH gives you an option to upgrade via their booking but wanted to know using LM)
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hi! I am trying to book a flight from A - B - C. A to B is short haul and B to C is long haul. Currently only the B to C is available for 63.000 miles. If A to B becomes available in the near future, is it possible to add this segment by calling them? Is there a charge? Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
can you book stopovers with award travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.