Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 1:49 am

Hi everybody!

I'm looking at a possible MEX-SAL-IAD redemption in July, but I find conflicting information on whether the SAL lounge is open or closed. Does anybody have first-hand information?
Old May 25, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by RedChili
Hi everybody!

I'm looking at a possible MEX-SAL-IAD redemption in July, but I find conflicting information on whether the SAL lounge is open or closed. Does anybody have first-hand information?
closed.
https://www.avianca.com/otr/en/exper...t/vip-lounges/
Attention! Rooms temporarily closed
In response to the security measures adopted by different governments, we have taken a break in the road to adjust our operation due to the impact of COVID-19. Therefore, our lounge services are temporarily suspended in Bogota (international and domestic), San Salvador, Medellin, Cali, Cartagena, Barranquilla and Bucaramanga.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
closed.
Thanks! I'll find some other connection.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:39 pm

This May sound like a stupid question, but I’d just like to check that no flight activity is required, either on Avianca, or a partner flight that is credited to Avianca, in order to use (purchased) miles for partner award tickets?

My Avianca account currently has zero activity since I set it up a year or so ago, not even to purchase miles.

But, I’m considering buying some either in the current sale or the next decent one, as I’ve found some useful ANA and Thai Airways redemptions I may like to book.

Just don’t want to spend $$$ then find out they can’t be used instantly, with no qualifying activity!

Thanks for any insight.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tofino87
This May sound like a stupid question, but I’d just like to check that no flight activity is required, either on Avianca, or a partner flight that is credited to Avianca, in order to use (purchased) miles for partner award tickets?

My Avianca account currently has zero activity since I set it up a year or so ago, not even to purchase miles.

But, I’m considering buying some either in the current sale or the next decent one, as I’ve found some useful ANA and Thai Airways redemptions I may like to book.

Just don’t want to spend $$$ then find out they can’t be used instantly, with no qualifying activity!

Thanks for any insight.

I can confirm zero flight activity is required.

Having a balance purely made up of purchased miles is fully eligible to redeem awards on any of LM's airlines or partners.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:13 pm

Thanks for confirming :-) , that’s good to know.

if I may be so cheeky as to ask one more question... I have heard of difficulties and nuances with the programme.

Is it really as simple as just using the online/app booking tool for a straight point-to-point redemption, so long as the search engine is showing availability?

I don’t know if I’d have the patience to sit for hours on the phone and speaking in broken-Spanish to figure out all the routings I had in mind otherwise!
Old May 27, 2021, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Thanks for confirming :-) , that’s good to know.

if I may be so cheeky as to ask one more question... I have heard of difficulties and nuances with the programme.

Is it really as simple as just using the online/app booking tool for a straight point-to-point redemption, so long as the search engine is showing availability?

I don’t know if I’d have the patience to sit for hours on the phone and speaking in broken-Spanish to figure out all the routings I had in mind otherwise!
The *only* way to do a simple redemption is online. If you see a single point-to-point flight, or a set of connecting flights, in most cases it is bookable. (There are some exceptions where the booking might still fail. Sometimes you get a PNR generated and can pay manually, sometimes it's an outright fail because the inventory may have been phantom. Always cross-reference any availability you see on Lifemiles with another star booking engine.)

The call centre can only see what we see on line. So there's no long conversations to find out routings. If we can't see it, they can't see it, and there's nothing they can do.

Where it gets more complicated is if you find two or more flights individually, but they don't show together. So for example you might find A-B and B-C, but A-(B)-C doesn't show. Then you have to send in screenshots, wait for them to create a booking, and engage with their special department for payment.
Tofino87 likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 6:09 am

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer, thanks for your help!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:36 pm

Hi Team - I want to fly roundtrip MEX - BOG on Avianca. I am Star Alliance Silver with United Airlines.Do I receive free checked luggage when booking Avianca's XS tarif? Thank you
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Booking online?

I see flights I want online, can I just book them? I need to transfer points from MR and don't want to do it if the system will somehow reject my purchase.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by chitink
I see flights I want online, can I just book them? I need to transfer points from MR and don't want to do it if the system will somehow reject my purchase.
Some people report problems completing the booking using the LM site, but I've never had a problem (that I didn't cause myself). Double check that your desired booking class is available, and maybe confirm the itinerary with another *A search (like UA) just to be careful, but you should be ok. And if something goes awry you can call them - which, again, people report struggling with, but I've never had any issues with them on the phone - granted some patience for the less than flawless English is a big help
chitink likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:44 am

I got a question if anyone happen to be in the situation as i am can provide their experience. i originally booked a round trip from tpe to gye in late 2019 and returning mid 2020. however while i was in gye covid hit and the return trip was canceled. they allowed me to use the value of the return leg of the trip to use as a voucher to book another ticket with avianca.

so i booked a round trip from gye to jfk next month using this voucher. i booked a business class ticket thinking i would get extra miles (i didnt know about lifemiles changes at the time)

so my question is will i get distance miles from this into lifemiles or the fare x 5? im asking this because my ticket number starts with 202 not the 016 of new tickets, i saw here https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/avianca.html

is there another star alliance program that i should look into putting my miles into instead?

im asking this because im losing a ton of miles if its fare x 5
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Avianca only has the ability to issue tickets starting with 202. Tickets issued which start with 016 can only be issued by United. Your ticket will earn miles based on the chart: DOES NOT start with 016
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:03 am

Hi folks,

I cancelled an award ticket as I could not change the origin city of my original destination.

The agent told me it takes five working days for the miles to re-credit. I want to re-book another route ASAP, in your experiences do you have your miles back in your account within five days?

Thx in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:51 am

Is the LH first class space that is showing consistently for the last week of the schedule on Lifemiles site (FRA-SFO) accurate? I can't verify with other Star Alliance carrier sites because their schedule doesn't go out 365 days. I just don't want to transfer over a bunch of points for 2 first class seats if it's phantom availability. Seems a bit sketchy as Lufthansa's own schedule doesn't go out that far...

There's also AC business class space showing during the last week of schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.