Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:57 pm

Does anyone know if Avianca will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket with ANA due to COVID-19 concerns?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by jomama341
Does anyone know if Avianca will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket with ANA due to COVID-19 concerns?
No, Lifemiles will not waive the cancellation fee. Unless the airline cancels the flight the better option is to call to cancel and pay the $200. Based on the wiki call a at least 48 hour prior to departure.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just stomach the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you from flying, just your own personal health risk caution based on the news reported.)

Last edited by Tokyoite; Apr 10, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just stomach the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you from flying, just your own personal health risk caution based on the news reported.
As it turns out, my flight was canceled (Avianca of course didn't notify me of this, but I found out upon calling in to cancel.) So, I got my miles + taxes back, which is nice.

On another note: I called in today to make another reservation and the Lifemiles call center is closed indefinitely. This doesn't bode well for the solvency of the business IMO. They're currently fielding all support requests over email from what I can tell.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy

On another note: I called in today to make another reservation and the Lifemiles call center is closed indefinitely. This doesn't bode well for the solvency of the business IMO. They're currently fielding all support requests over email from what I can tell.
Oh my that's not good.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Paella747
Oh my that's not good.
It makes perfect sense though. Call centres can't usually provide the required social distancing - unless they are set up to operate remotely (calls can be taken from home). And award bookings aren't 'essential'.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It makes perfect sense though. Call centres can't usually provide the required social distancing - unless they are set up to operate remotely (calls can be taken from home). And award bookings aren't 'essential'.
Sure. But the problem is, you can't even make award bookings on the website from what I can tell. At least based on the route I tried to purchase. They've put a hold on the reservation and will be calling me at some point presumably to collect payment for the fees. I honestly don't feel great about it.
Paella747 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Sure. But the problem is, you can't even make award bookings on the website from what I can tell. At least based on the route I tried to purchase. They've put a hold on the reservation and will be calling me at some point presumably to collect payment for the fees. I honestly don't feel great about it.
Yes.... and if a flight you've book is cancelled, they don't seem to be reaching out. It's a bit worrying to just write them about it and hope they write you back in time....
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paella747
Yes.... and if a flight you've book is cancelled, they don't seem to be reaching out. It's a bit worrying to just write them about it and hope they write you back in time....
You have up to 12 months after the flight to effect the cancellation. LM doesn't have any penalties for 'no shows'.
mlqsko and Tokyoite like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:32 am

I booked LAX-BOG-UIO (A330/A320) and UIO-SAL-LAX (A319/A321). Can anyone confirm if the Avianca Plus seats (rows 7-8 on A330 and 7-10 on A321) on these planes have more pitch? The Avianca website says they have "more space," but Seatguru classifies those seats the same as the other economy seats. Thank you!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have a ticket with three legs, one of them was just cancelled due to covid. If I request a cash refund can I get my money back on the entire ticket? Or should I wait until the cancel flights #2 and #3 before requesting the cash refund?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I have a ticket with three legs, one of them was just cancelled due to covid. If I request a cash refund can I get my money back on the entire ticket? Or should I wait until the cancel flights #2 and #3 before requesting the cash refund?
If the ticket is a through ticket, you can request the refund now.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:18 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If the ticket is a through ticket, you can request the refund now.
thank you, i will give it a shot!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:36 am

Avianca announced me that my multi-flight ticket booked with Lifemiles was cancelled.
I bought extra miles at checkout, but advisor told me those miles will be reinstated to my account, their value won't be refunded. Is that right?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Giboning
Avianca announced me that my multi-flight ticket booked with Lifemiles was cancelled.
I bought extra miles at checkout, but advisor told me those miles will be reinstated to my account, their value won't be refunded. Is that right?
The extra miles will be refunded as miles. You already bought them, so they are yours.

Back in the day when Lifemiles had minimal ticket cancellation fee, redeeming for a ticket 50% existing + 50% top-up miles was a way to generate miles at a discount when ticket was cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.