Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Giboning
Avianca announced me that my multi-flight ticket booked with Lifemiles was cancelled.
I bought extra miles at checkout, but advisor told me those miles will be reinstated to my account, their value won't be refunded. Is that right?
As mlqsko said, any 'top up' miles will only be refunded as miles. This is was always the case, pre-COVID too.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:44 pm

ANA flight to Perth

I am trying to book the NRT-PER route but it is showing as not available for every day. I checked united and there are seats. I remember when this route became available it was bookable but it has now disappeared.

My dates April 22/April 29 2021in Business

Any advice on how to book these appreciated.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:22 am

Transfer timing to available

Transferred in some miles from AMEX. The transfer is showing under account history, but available lifemiles is not showing the transferred miles. Is this pretty common, and how long do the transferred miles take to become available? Or is this something more concerning for a technical problem?

Update: looks like there is now a backdated transaction that expires all the miles transferred in (Dated March 1). Never had any miles in my account before, and transfer was completed August 12.

Last edited by MahiMahi524; Aug 13, 2020 at 2:07 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:01 am

Phantom availability, LH 1st

Hello,

I know historically Lufthansa only releases a very limited number of 1st class seats, and only 2 weeks in advance. I am, however, seeing some availability when I search as far as possible in the future with Life miles. Is this a known issue of phantom availability, or could this actually be legit?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex Huerta
Hello,

I know historically Lufthansa only releases a very limited number of 1st class seats, and only 2 weeks in advance. I am, however, seeing some availability when I search as far as possible in the future with Life miles. Is this a known issue of phantom availability, or could this actually be legit?
A couple years ago LM released LH space for like a whole year in advance. I booked and flew, no problems.

That was pre-covid, so if it was phantom or there was a problem then the refund would have been processed pretty quickly. If you can book them now, the only real downside if they get cancelled for some reason would be waiting several months for a refund.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
A couple years ago LM released LH space for like a whole year in advance. I booked and flew, no problems.

That was pre-covid, so if it was phantom or there was a problem then the refund would have been processed pretty quickly. If you can book them now, the only real downside if they get cancelled for some reason would be waiting several months for a refund.
Turns out I just get an error message at the very end of the process after entering in all the traveler info...I should have known it was too good to be true! Already transferred the miles, too, so I might end up just booking J instead so they don't go to waste while things are on sale
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
If I book using LifeMiles miles on UA metal, will the ticket include a checked bag? I know using BA avios on AA metal gives checked bag for free.

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Million Miler, SW, Hilton (Diamond), Bonvoy (Gold), Hyatt
Originally Posted by pwd847
If I book using LifeMiles miles on UA metal, will the ticket include a checked bag? I know using BA avios on AA metal gives checked bag for free.

Thanks.
I had to pay $30 2 years ago doing just that.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Ugh. OK. Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It may have been answered before, but Star Alliance Gold (TK G) has 1 checked bag for free on AV international flights (BOG to LHR) when on cheapest Economy fare ("S") which normally comes without checked lugage?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:37 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Is there a list somewhere of all airlines participating in LifeMiles?

I just looked for availability and was offered an Aeromexico connection. I had no idea AM was a LM partner.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wpcoe
Is there a list somewhere of all airlines participating in LifeMiles?

I just looked for availability and was offered an Aeromexico connection. I had no idea AM was a LM partner.
News to me too but apparently Aeromexico and Iberia are the other partners outside of Star Alliance: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/every...nca-lifemiles/
wpcoe likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:20 am

Hi all! Thanks in advance for your guidance. I have never before booked an award flight, so I'm somewhat hesitant to just transfer my MR points to LifeMiles.I see that there are a few flight options for my one way from East Coast US-FCO and from VCE - East Coast US, do I assume those are correct? I've tried to chat with Avianca to no avail and cannot connect with a person to confirm those are indeed available. Seeing a lot of folks on the forum say that they saw the flights available but when they went to book it wouldn't go through. Do not want that to happen. Also, do I assume that we will have to pay for checked bag? Or is that included on any/all international flights? Also also, are we SOL when it comes to seat selections? Any feedback/suggestions is appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annahampton87
Hi all! Thanks in advance for your guidance. I have never before booked an award flight, so I'm somewhat hesitant to just transfer my MR points to LifeMiles.I see that there are a few flight options for my one way from East Coast US-FCO and from VCE - East Coast US, do I assume those are correct? I've tried to chat with Avianca to no avail and cannot connect with a person to confirm those are indeed available. Seeing a lot of folks on the forum say that they saw the flights available but when they went to book it wouldn't go through. Do not want that to happen. Also, do I assume that we will have to pay for checked bag? Or is that included on any/all international flights? Also also, are we SOL when it comes to seat selections? Any feedback/suggestions is appreciated!
There are no absolute guarantees. The availability could be phantom (it shows, but it not actually 'available' because it it out of date). Or errors in the LM booking system could mean you can't book them.

To mitigate you should start by confirming the seats are available on another star alliance award program... so for example use the United tool to see if the same seats are there. That's a good start, but still no guarantee as sometimes LM doesn't match what is offered through other programs.

If it is a technical error, you could then send a manual booking request to Lifemiles... but again, no guarantees either as it could take them several days to process your request and then the seats have gone anyways.

Many of us already have the miles in our accounts so we don't 'lose' anything if we end up not being able to book. You won't have that same luxury if you are transferring miles into LM.

It is a risk. Would I do it? Knowing what I know about LM, I probably wouldn't transfer miles if I was looking for a specific itinerary and had no future plans to use the miles if something went wrong and I got stuck with them.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There are no absolute guarantees. The availability could be phantom (it shows, but it not actually 'available' because it it out of date). Or errors in the LM booking system could mean you can't book them.

To mitigate you should start by confirming the seats are available on another star alliance award program... so for example use the United tool to see if the same seats are there. That's a good start, but still no guarantee as sometimes LM doesn't match what is offered through other programs.

If it is a technical error, you could then send a manual booking request to Lifemiles... but again, no guarantees either as it could take them several days to process your request and then the seats have gone anyways.

Many of us already have the miles in our accounts so we don't 'lose' anything if we end up not being able to book. You won't have that same luxury if you are transferring miles into LM.

It is a risk. Would I do it? Knowing what I know about LM, I probably wouldn't transfer miles if I was looking for a specific itinerary and had no future plans to use the miles if something went wrong and I got stuck with them.
Thank you so much! Is there talk of LM going under? If the award to Italy had to change this year, no problem with postponing and booking through LM the following year; I've even had my eye on 20k economy tix to LHR and Scotland, so, that would also be an option should plans need to change. The only other open jaw flights I can find that are semi comparable are US-Italy through Delta (35K +$5.60 per person) and Italy-US through Aeroplan (40K + $130 per person). Is the peace of mind worth the point/cash difference? I know I'm supposed to answer that, but if anyone has had experiences with all of these companies and can say definitively that yes, they would go with the second option rather than messing with LM (and their seemingly terrible customer service), then that's what I'll aim to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.