Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:15 pm

I just booked a LAX-SAL-PTY trip, in business, using UA award miles. LAX-SAL is on Avianca and SAL-PTY is on Copa.

Two quick questions:

1. Is 1 hour 21 minutes enough connecting time in SAL? I've read elsewhere that there's no immigration or transit security, and I just go from one gate to the next? And I assume Avianca and Copa gates will be close to each other?
2. Is the SAL airport safe for transiting passengers?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by erik19283
Hello!

I am looking at taking a first class one way trip from either ICN or NRT towards YUL. Of course, there isn't any direct flight for that in first class, but isn't it supposed to still be 90,000 LM points anyway? When I checked, it would seem that it is 90,000 from either ICN or NRT to JFK or ORD, for example, but then they add the flight to YUL as extra. I'm used to Aeroplan, and it wouldn't cost me extra with Aeroplan. Am I misunderstanding Lifemiles
or is there a problem with they website?
click on all three of your flights to get the final number.
in this case, it would be 108K + miles for the F/C/C cabin combination, or 103K for the F/C/Y combination.
Better use of miles is to either find a one hop route (F then C) , or terminate your ticket somewhere else near YUL, either YYZ NYC or wherebouts.
see sample below.

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:44 am

Thank you Tokyoite for your post. I am still wondering if there isn't a problem with LifeMiles when redeeming for first class or if the problem isn't me miunderstanding the program because if I look at redeeming in business class, then I can go all the way to YUL for the proper number of miles; only when I look at flying F is there an increased number of miles over the stated 90K in the award chart.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:20 pm

Extending Miles

Hello,

I guess this matter has been discussed before. But my quick search has found no answer and I need someone's help. Thank you, in advance!

I ended up having extra miles in my account due to a cancellation of award ticket. I read terms & conditions of Avianca Miles program and am not sure if I understand them right.

Can I keep extending the remaining miles forever (unless current terms & conditions remain as is) if
1. I keep adding miles by transferring points from related credit card reward programs such as Citi Thank You Points at least once every 12 months?
2. I keep purchasing Avianca miles (by any credit card or must be by Avianca brand card?) at least every 12 months?

Thankyou.
michaelmorio
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
Hello,

I guess this matter has been discussed before. But my quick search has found no answer and I need someone's help. Thank you, in advance!

I ended up having extra miles in my account due to a cancellation of award ticket. I read terms & conditions of Avianca Miles program and am not sure if I understand them right.

Can I keep extending the remaining miles forever (unless current terms & conditions remain as is) if
1. I keep adding miles by transferring points from related credit card reward programs such as Citi Thank You Points at least once every 12 months?
2. I keep purchasing Avianca miles (by any credit card or must be by Avianca brand card?) at least every 12 months?

Thankyou.
michaelmorio
I have done #2 for a few years now.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:10 am

Hello erik19283 (and others),

Thank you for your response. Can I ask you what card you have been using, AV related card or other card?

Thanks.
michaelmorio
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
Hello erik19283 (and others),

Thank you for your response. Can I ask you what card you have been using, AV related card or other card?

Thanks.
michaelmorio
Other.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Quick question: I booked an award ticket in a few months with a friend (both on the same reservation using my LM). They can no longer go. Am I able to cancel their ticket (don't mind cancellation fees) while still keeping my original seat and itinerary?

Thanks!

Last edited by IAH2MEL; Dec 12, 2018 at 8:37 pm Reason: added -ed
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Maximum number of legs on an award flight?

My question is, what is the maximum number of legs on a one-way Lifemiles award flight booked with the screenshot method? 4 Legs? 5 Legs? more? Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by somethinpositiv
My question is, what is the maximum number of legs on a one-way Lifemiles award flight booked with the screenshot method? 4 Legs? 5 Legs? more? Thanks!
4 easily.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
BOG domestic lounge

Sorry for the too simple question, but I can't get a clear answer from *A, AV or El Dorado website:

On a paid BOG-MDE ticket in J without any *A status, can I enter the domestic VIP lounge at BOG?

​​​​​​Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Hi,

I have booked an award flight, JFK to TPE in business. For changes ($150), does the sector need to stay the same or can I change to JFK to somewhere else in Asia? When I called, the agent was not even sure but said must be JFK to TPE, and only date changes are allowed.

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by akhenaton
Hi,

I have booked an award flight, JFK to TPE in business. For changes ($150), does the sector need to stay the same or can I change to JFK to somewhere else in Asia? When I called, the agent was not even sure but said must be JFK to TPE, and only date changes are allowed.

Thanks
Route changes are not allowed on award tickets.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Quick question (I hope)...

I'm looking at an award ticket on United from SAN-SFO and the chart seems to imply this would be 7,500 miles RT. When I look it up online, I am seeing 9,000 RT. I did a search on FT and of the blogs and don't see any mention of this price anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:22 pm

What is the process for extending lifemiles points about to expire - is it simply buying 1000 points?

I had a flight on Thai recently which I accrued to my Lifemiles FF - would that extend it?

And do lifemiles send you a reminder of being about to expire?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.