Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Cool LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Felow Lifemile enthusiasts,

following a rather nasty turn in the previous thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...nal-trick.html

The senior mods (who have the pleasure of moderating this corner of FT) decided to reboot the thread and start afresh.

So... share away, in whatever trick(y) language you can find. Keep in mind that this is FT, and while sharing (of opinions, tricks, ideas, opinions etc) is explicitly desired and allowed, one simple rule applies:

If you don't have anything to say on the topic, just don't say it.

Talking about others, the ethics or it all and similar personal things remains off topic and will be deleted.

So trick away!

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old May 26, 2014, 9:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Thanks for restarting the thread. I saw the other one got locked, and was concerned we would lose this thread entirely, though I suspect there may be somewhat less to discuss in it now, but nevertheless - it is valuable to continue this discussion.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
So I'm still seeing some availability C5 at good value though Airport taxes is rather exorbitant.

I'm wondering when the guillotine will fall on the piano teacher
Old May 26, 2014, 9:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by lsed
So I'm still seeing some availability C5 at good value though YQ is rather exorbitant.

I'm wondering when the guillotine will fall on the piano teacher
How can you be seeing YQ when YQ is not levied by LM?
Old May 26, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
How can you be seeing YQ when YQ is not levied by LM?

Airport taxes I meant!
Old May 26, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

LM is a bit weird with the airport taxes in some places (but of course LM is weird with almost everything, that's why we are here no?). One of the no longer working boomerangs I looked at using, charged taxes at my connection point as though I was originating there. It wasn't an error with the airport, as doing a more linear connection gave a more accurate accounting of the taxes. I wonder if something similar is happening here?

And probably a good idea to do a thread reboot at this point.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:40 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am not seeing any changes at all. I have never tried to fly cabbages though with a layover at a Straenbahnhaltestelle.

All the "interesting" routes that I hoped to book are still there including chainy bears and cool C3 routes.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,

my question was the last in the old thread so I will repeat:

I would like to be advised if in the current situation with LM is a good idea to buy miles + bonuses, it's another 6 days to go.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Simon1

I would like to be advised if in the current situation with LM is a good idea to buy miles + bonuses, it's another 6 days to go.
Rule of the thumb is to buy and redeem immediately. If you see flights that are of interest to you and are available, buy and book asap.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:21 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

Nobody can possibly know the answer to this in terms of where you see value in LM, how averse to risk you are and what are the chances of LM reducing the value that you currently find in the programme.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: TK Elite
Alot of the big baby boomers are gone between C3P0 and R2C2
Old May 26, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Yeah, I wouldn't dare buy miles at this point unless I was booking something near immediately or knew something would be readily available. We are in a period of great uncertainty.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
LM is still great value even without tricks. But there are sudden devaluations possible anytime, so only buy and book.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:43 pm

Also make sure that there isn't any phantom availability, as that may be the case with some routes on LM.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Problem is most of the good stuff is released a few days before departure, ahh so much pressure!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.