Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by annahampton87
Thank you so much! Is there talk of LM going under? If the award to Italy had to change this year, no problem with postponing and booking through LM the following year; I've even had my eye on 20k economy tix to LHR and Scotland, so, that would also be an option should plans need to change. The only other open jaw flights I can find that are semi comparable are US-Italy through Delta (35K +$5.60 per person) and Italy-US through Aeroplan (40K + $130 per person). Is the peace of mind worth the point/cash difference? I know I'm supposed to answer that, but if anyone has had experiences with all of these companies and can say definitively that yes, they would go with the second option rather than messing with LM (and their seemingly terrible customer service), then that's what I'll aim to do.
If you are planning to use LM for economy/coach tickets you are probably going to be in a much better position. Most people will be using LM for first or biz class tickets as that's usually where the value is. And those premium seats are both limited in number, and the fastest ones to go. So miss out and it might be impossible to find another. Economy will probably give you plenty more options.

Dealing with LM is not always easy at the best (pre-covid) times. It requires lots of patience. During covid I've heard it can be even harder to get in contact to make changes. That being said, I've always had really good experiences with LM. I've found their staff to be really helpful. But that's based on having lots of patience and flexibility. For example I requested a booking on Thai Airways which they didn't come back to me for over a week on. By that time the seats had gone, but they managed to find and book me on another star alliance airline that wasn't even showing in their system. So it all worked out in the end, but if you are the sort of person that wants a quick fix, you may be disappointed!

Delta and Aeroplan are going to have good phone lines, people that speak English, and will be able to resolve any issues far more quickly, especially if you were say half way through the journey and something changed (like cancelled flights etc).
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:49 pm

Thanks again. I have patience, but perhaps not as much as some. This has been really helpful.

Economy is fine with us; indeed, I don't want to waste points on first/business because it's a few hours of my life. I know that's where the supposed value is, but to me, stretching my miles to take the most trips has the most value. Appreciate it!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annahampton87
Thanks again. I have patience, but perhaps not as much as some. This has been really helpful.

Economy is fine with us; indeed, I don't want to waste points on first/business because it's a few hours of my life. I know that's where the supposed value is, but to me, stretching my miles to take the most trips has the most value. Appreciate it!
For economy i would be a little more relaxed in transferring miles across as you'll almost certainly be able to use them (peak periods trans Atlantic can be an issue if looking to book close in, but otherwise there's often lots of carriers... United, Swiss, Lufthansa etc).

The problem will be if there are changes or cancellation requiring reissue or re-ticketing. That's where, at the moment, you might experience difficulties trying to get hold of someone, and then someone in the right department, and then someone in the right department that speaks English (unless you are ok with Spanish!)
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:33 pm

Hi, just booked a ticket with LM for TK. I managed to get TK's PNR through Check my trip but when I enter it on TK's website I keep getting the same message, "Due to a technical error the e-ticket cannot be shown."

Any ideas on how can I access the booking on TK? Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, just booked a ticket with LM for TK. I managed to get TK's PNR through Check my trip but when I enter it on TK's website I keep getting the same message, "Due to a technical error the e-ticket cannot be shown."

Any ideas on how can I access the booking on TK? Thanks
Looks like this is a fairly common problem There's another thread here on FT addressing the issue - seems you may have to call TK: New to TK. Can't get into Manage Your Booking
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:39 am

Ok, thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Is it just me, or is this 'new' website incredibly slow and buggy? When I search it says there are 'Fares available for xxxxxxx LM' and on the calendar it shows the blue dots but when I click on that specific date it shows me nothing.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:56 am

It has been a while, so pardon the dumb question... Does the LH Y award come with a bag included?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:28 am
VPB

I tried to purchase Lifemiles but after entering my bank card details and pressed "buy" button I got an error "Your transaction has been declined. Contact bank issuing bank for more information. Error code 481".
I contacted my bank, but they informed me that there no attempt to check the card or withdraw money from a card. I tried two different bank cards, that were successfully used in the past to buy Lifetimes, but still the same error. I tried to do it from my phone via a browser. Same story. Avianca/Lifemiles call center is useless. Any idea what I can do?

Old May 5, 2021, 8:54 am

Checked bag allowance on Austrian TATL Y

Booked TATL Y on OS metal using LifeMiles, and Austrian's "my booking" page is showing Economy Light with no checked bag allowance. Normally, I wouldn't worry, as last year, I used SQ miles to book TATL Y on LH metal, and UA miles to book TATL Y on LX metal, and in both cases, the operating carrier's (LH & LX, respectively) site said "economy light"/"0 checked bags," yet I was still allowed 1 at check-in. Further, LH & LX are Lufthansa Group, as is Austrian, so it'd make sense for such an error to come up on all of them.

However, in both those cases, the booking confirmation emails (from the marketing carriers) said 1 free checked bag. This time, checking my booking on avianca.com, I see "0 checked bag". Clicking Baggage Policy brings up this:

Baggage
[passenger name] (x1)

New York [destination]
0 CHECKED BAG
First bag UPTO 50LB 23KG AND 62LI 158CM OR MOBILITY EQUIPMENT OR SPORT FIREARMS UP TO 50LB 23KG OR BOARDS UP TO 2M AND 23KG OR SKI OR SNOWBOARD EQT UPTO 23KG OR GOLF EQUIPMENT UP TO 50LB 23KG OR FISHING EQUIPMENTUPTO50LB 23KG OR BICYCLE UP TO 50LB 23KG OR SCUBA EQUIPMENT UP TO50LB 23KG OR HOCKEY EQUIP UPTO50LB 23KG
Second bag UPTO 50LB 23KG AND 62LI 158CM USD 100.00

New York - Vienna
1 Carry-on Bag, 1 Free
CARRY8KG 18LB UPTO46LI 118LCM
Most Significant Carrier is OS (Austrian Airlines)‎

Vienna - [destination]
1 Carry-on Bag, 1 Free
CARRY8KG 18LB UPTO46LI 118LCM
Most Significant Carrier is OS (Austrian Airlines)‎

Baggage allowance and charges are applied at each checked portion.
BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE AND CHARGES ARE PROVIDED FOR INFORMATION ONLY. ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY DEPENDING ON FLYER-SPECIFIC FACTORS (E.G. FREQUENT FLYER STATUS, MILITARY, CREDIT CARD USED FOR PURCHASE, EARLY PURCHASE OVER THE INTERNET, ETC.)
So... is there or isn't there a free checked bag on this? If I need to call to confirm, do I call Avianca or Austrian? TIA
Old May 5, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by budgetmiles
Booked TATL Y on OS metal using LifeMiles, and Austrian's "my booking" page is showing Economy Light with no checked bag allowance. Normally, I wouldn't worry, as last year, I used SQ miles to book TATL Y on LH metal, and UA miles to book TATL Y on LX metal, and in both cases, the operating carrier's (LH & LX, respectively) site said "economy light"/"0 checked bags," yet I was still allowed 1 at check-in. Further, LH & LX are Lufthansa Group, as is Austrian, so it'd make sense for such an error to come up on all of them.

However, in both those cases, the booking confirmation emails (from the marketing carriers) said 1 free checked bag. This time, checking my booking on avianca.com, I see "0 checked bag". Clicking Baggage Policy brings up this:

So... is there or isn't there a free checked bag on this? If I need to call to confirm, do I call Avianca or Austrian? TIA
Hopefully someone will have an data point for you. But if you need to, you would call Austrian as the operating carrier, ask them to have a look at the booking, and see what baggage allowance is indicated in their system. Bearing in mind however that reservations agents aren’t always well versed in baggage policies.
budgetmiles likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hopefully someone will have an data point for you. But if you need to, you would call Austrian as the operating carrier, ask them to have a look at the booking, and see what baggage allowance is indicated in their system. Bearing in mind however that reservations agents aren’t always well versed in baggage policies.
Thanks, Austrian call center it is.

Checked Austrian's site again, it seems to be updating in some way:
  • Under Tarif / Class, "Economy Light" changed to "economy ID, X"
    On the right, still says "1 Hand luggage 8kg max., eJournals, Entertainment on board"
  • Under Baggage, "0 checked bags" changed to "For further information about your booked fare please contact our Guest Service Team at +43 (0) 5 1766 3100."
    The header for the Baggage section now says "At the moment we are not able to offer online sales of checked baggage for your booked flights."
Guess I'll call in a couple days if neither Avianca's nor Austrian's website shows 1 bag by then.
Old May 5, 2021, 5:06 pm

Hello,

I'm super new to figuring out points/rewards, so my apologies in advance if this is too much or too little information. I'm planning a trip to Tblisi for the late spring of 2022. I run my business expenses through an Amex card. We'll be taking our cats, and my understanding is that Lufthansa is particularly good for in-cabin animals. My very vague understanding is that it would be best to open a LifeMiles account, begin transferring my Amex points to Lifemiles, keep a look out for occasional specials and then ... book the Lufthansa ticket through lifemiles? Am I skipping a step (quite likely). Many thanks for any and all advice.
Old May 5, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coriej
Hello,

I'm super new to figuring out points/rewards, so my apologies in advance if this is too much or too little information. I'm planning a trip to Tblisi for the late spring of 2022. I run my business expenses through an Amex card. We'll be taking our cats, and my understanding is that Lufthansa is particularly good for in-cabin animals. My very vague understanding is that it would be best to open a LifeMiles account, begin transferring my Amex points to Lifemiles, keep a look out for occasional specials and then ... book the Lufthansa ticket through lifemiles? Am I skipping a step (quite likely). Many thanks for any and all advice.
Hi and welcome to FT!

In theory... yes. You are spot on.

In reality, you need to know the Lifemiles program can be one of the most difficult to work with, both in terms of finding the flights you want, and contacting customer service agents if you need help with anything. Connecting flights can be a real problem with Lifemiles.

If you are new to points, I would suggest another program. For example, can you transfer your miles to say Aeroplan? Or United? Both of those programs have good IT, offer connections, and have customer service to back them up.

Lifemiles does sell cheap miles, which is great if you need to top up. And they also offer 'points + pay', which means you can get awards with as little as 40 per cent of the miles needed, and buy the rest really cheaply. But Aeroplan also has some very cheap miles sales - just not as often as Lifemiles!

All things considered, if United and Aeroplan cost you slightly more for awards, it will be more than off-set by the ease of using their programs.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi and welcome to FT!

In theory... yes. You are spot on.

In reality, you need to know the Lifemiles program can be one of the most difficult to work with, both in terms of finding the flights you want, and contacting customer service agents if you need help with anything. Connecting flights can be a real problem with Lifemiles.

If you are new to points, I would suggest another program. For example, can you transfer your miles to say Aeroplan? Or United? Both of those programs have good IT, offer connections, and have customer service to back them up.

Lifemiles does sell cheap miles, which is great if you need to top up. And they also offer 'points + pay', which means you can get awards with as little as 40 per cent of the miles needed, and buy the rest really cheaply. But Aeroplan also has some very cheap miles sales - just not as often as Lifemiles!

All things considered, if United and Aeroplan cost you slightly more for awards, it will be more than off-set by the ease of using their programs.
Thank you! I'll take a look at the Aeroplan. Hopefully with a year to plan things out, we'll be in good shape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.