Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
edit - oops
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Kyle Shipps
Is the LH first class space that is showing consistently for the last week of the schedule on Lifemiles site (FRA-SFO) accurate? I can't verify with other Star Alliance carrier sites because their schedule doesn't go out 365 days. I just don't want to transfer over a bunch of points for 2 first class seats if it's phantom availability. Seems a bit sketchy as Lufthansa's own schedule doesn't go out that far...

There's also AC business class space showing during the last week of schedule.
Traditionally LH F is only available 14 days before departure. I think I read that is now moving to 30 days? That being said, there was some glitch a couple years back where LM - no other star partner - had ~330 days of LH F. It was there, bookable, and I flew on it.

I would say that given the general availability is only 15 or 30 days before, and in the absence of the glitch repeating itself, the availability might be phantom. If LH's own schedules catch up, and they have an award there, I would say your booking would be safe if made through LM (as in LH wouldn't then cancel it). But there's still no guarantees that the ticket will actually ticket in the first place.

Bottom line: too risky to transfer I reckon. If you already had the miles there, no worries. If you really want to take a punt, you could transfer 40 per cent of the miles needed and top up with cash via points plus pay. That would protect you a little.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kyle Shipps
Is the LH first class space that is showing consistently for the last week of the schedule on Lifemiles site (FRA-SFO) accurate? I can't verify with other Star Alliance carrier sites because their schedule doesn't go out 365 days. I just don't want to transfer over a bunch of points for 2 first class seats if it's phantom availability. Seems a bit sketchy as Lufthansa's own schedule doesn't go out that far...

There's also AC business class space showing during the last week of schedule.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Traditionally LH F is only available 14 days before departure. I think I read that is now moving to 30 days? That being said, there was some glitch a couple years back where LM - no other star partner - had ~330 days of LH F. It was there, bookable, and I flew on it.

I would say that given the general availability is only 15 or 30 days before, and in the absence of the glitch repeating itself, the availability might be phantom. If LH's own schedules catch up, and they have an award there, I would say your booking would be safe if made through LM (as in LH wouldn't then cancel it). But there's still no guarantees that the ticket will actually ticket in the first place.

Bottom line: too risky to transfer I reckon. If you already had the miles there, no worries. If you really want to take a punt, you could transfer 40 per cent of the miles needed and top up with cash via points plus pay. That would protect you a little.
It's phantom space. It errors out before the stage right before confirming the booking where you review the details.

Same is true for the AC space. You can look for things like LHR-YVR-SFO and it won't even show the "n seats left" in red text, but it will just error out before you can even try to confirm the booking. Then at T-360 that seemingly plentiful AC space vanishes and you're left with whatever availability they actually released and LM can access.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks nexusCFX
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:27 pm

Exclamation Transfer from CapOne not Available

I transferred points from Capital One this morning. The transaction shows up in my LM account but when I try to book a ticket it says I have 0 miles available. Is there a lag between point transfer and actually being able to use them?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by itravel
I transferred points from Capital One this morning. The transaction shows up in my LM account but when I try to book a ticket it says I have 0 miles available. Is there a lag between point transfer and actually being able to use them?
There was no lag for me in June - miles were immediately reflected in transactions and balance.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:27 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
When you try and pay for a Lifemiles award ticket with a credit card, it asks for a "personal identification number" in addition to the CVV number. Surely this is not your card PIN? Is it your passport number? Thanks but it has been a while since I booked an award ticket with LM.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
It's a number that you set for future authorization purposes. You can choose anything you want.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kpc
When you try and pay for a Lifemiles award ticket with a credit card, it asks for a "personal identification number" in addition to the CVV number. Surely this is not your card PIN? Is it your passport number? Thanks but it has been a while since I booked an award ticket with LM.
It's a separate 4-digit code which you need to set up via your personal account page on LM. Some people have actually done it while 'in the CC payment loop', but much easier to do it in advance of the call so you're ready to go. Once set up it stays the same until you change it.
mlqsko and mildfrequence like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: AS G75k, Hyatt Globalist
I just made a reservation on TK using LifeMIles, I got the PNR and eticket number. I went to checkmytrip to get the TK PNR. Went to TK website and when trying to manage reservation to select seat, I get this message:

Error

This reservation cannot be viewed due to the sales channel where it was modified. You can apply to the channel on which you have arranged your reservation to make a transaction.
Is this normal? Also after reading horror stories of lifemiles not actually ticketing a booking, am I in risk here? Thank you
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icejan
I just made a reservation on TK using LifeMIles, I got the PNR and eticket number. I went to checkmytrip to get the TK PNR. Went to TK website and when trying to manage reservation to select seat, I get this message:

Is this normal? Also after reading horror stories of lifemiles not actually ticketing a booking, am I in risk here? Thank you
If you have an e-ticket number it means it has been issued by LM.
icejan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS G75k, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you have an e-ticket number it means it has been issued by LM.
Thanks! Do you also know if the error message on TK is normal? How would I assign seat otherwise? Do I have to call?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by icejan
Thanks! Do you also know if the error message on TK is normal? How would I assign seat otherwise? Do I have to call?
Try using the TK app - website seems to give errors like that when looking up partner bookings.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:18 am

Has anyone had success booking flights from Vladivostok, Russia (near Japan) - Europe considering they’re in the same zone and with Aviancaa extremely lax touring rules
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
(editing this since I didn't realize this was a lm thread, not actual flights on avianca)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.