Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Im trying to search awards to see if its worth it to buy miles, but I cant search ex FRA-BKK. Frankfurt doesnt show up as an airport, either Bangkok. LHR shows up and JFK etc.
What am I doing wrong?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:56 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by davvelavve
Im trying to search awards to see if its worth it to buy miles, but I cant search ex FRA-BKK. Frankfurt doesnt show up as an airport, either Bangkok. LHR shows up and JFK etc.
What am I doing wrong?
I just checked LM availability for a random date, and FRA and BKK both converted to the correct full names.

Note that after you type "bkk" you need to actually click on the line that pops up below it with the spelled-out version.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Looking to book something using screenshot and email method. They take their own sweet time to reply. By then the availability might be gone. No way to expedite or get around, correct?

Also do the flights have to absolutely show up separately on lifemiles search? For example, I need a LAS to DEN flight which does not show up on search if I just try LAS to DEN. But if I search LAS to FRA, it shows the UA flight for LAS to DEN that I need and then another UA flight for DEN to FRA. But it does not show the LH flight for DEN to FRA (which is what I need) that shows up when searched separately as DEN to FRA. Can I ask them to pick the LAS to DEN UA flight and DEN to FRA LH flight? Could it be some married segment fiasco? Or can I still have them pick it by sending screenshots? Hope my question makes sense : )

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Jul 26, 2022 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Looking to book something using screenshot and email method. They take their own sweet time to reply. By then the availability might be gone. No way to expedite or get around, correct?

Also do the flights have to absolutely show up separately on lifemiles search? For example, I need a LAS to DEN flight which does not show up on search if I just try LAS to DEN. But if I search LAS to FRA, it shows the UA flight for LAS to DEN that I need and then another UA flight for DEN to FRA. But it does not show the LH flight for DEN to FRA (which is what I need) that shows up when searched separately as DEN to FRA. Can I ask them to pick the LAS to DEN UA flight and DEN to FRA LH flight? Could it be some married segment fiasco? Or can I still have them pick it by sending screenshots? Hope my question makes sense : )
Pre-covid I suspected there was a two-stage process for the screenshot method… you sent it in and someone would action it and hold the seats. It would then be sent to the special section to manually review and price it, before getting back to you. So even if it took them a few days and the availability looked like it had gone, in most cases the original flights I had requested came back confirmed. In a single case the availability O wanted had actually gone, but LM offered me an alternative on Singapore airlines. Don’t know if that’s still the case post covid.

In theory the screenshot method require at least three attachments… A-B, B-C and a third A-C which must show NO availability on LM. In your case there is availability A-C, just not on the airline you want. LM could in theory reject the request.

but these ‘rules’ have never been explicitly written down. IIRC one or two FTers have used the screenshots creatively, for example using the A-B of an A-B-C itinerary and asked for it to be paired with the C-D of a C-D-E set of flights. But i think even in that case the A-D didn’t show in LM, so it was sort of within the rules.

All you can do is try… but I wouldn’t be transferring or buying miles in the hope it works. If you have existing miles to burn, go for it.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Pre-covid I suspected there was a two-stage process for the screenshot method… you sent it in and someone would action it and hold the seats. It would then be sent to the special section to manually review and price it, before getting back to you. So even if it took them a few days and the availability looked like it had gone, in most cases the original flights I had requested came back confirmed. In a single case the availability O wanted had actually gone, but LM offered me an alternative on Singapore airlines. Don’t know if that’s still the case post covid.

In theory the screenshot method require at least three attachments… A-B, B-C and a third A-C which must show NO availability on LM. In your case there is availability A-C, just not on the airline you want. LM could in theory reject the request.

but these ‘rules’ have never been explicitly written down. IIRC one or two FTers have used the screenshots creatively, for example using the A-B of an A-B-C itinerary and asked for it to be paired with the C-D of a C-D-E set of flights. But i think even in that case the A-D didn’t show in LM, so it was sort of within the rules.

All you can do is try… but I wouldn’t be transferring or buying miles in the hope it works. If you have existing miles to burn, go for it.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yep, exactly. I need A-B of A-B-C itinerary then combine with a different B-C, then just take C-D from a X-C-D itinerary, then add a D-E. Lol. Why does this have to be so complicated : )

Let me try to clarify. Just trying to do LAS-DEN-FRA-DEL-MLE. First and last leg on economy. 2nd and 3rd on business

LAS-DEN-FRA - Available on United economy on a single LAS-FRA search on lifemiles. But only need LAS-DEN from this because, read next : )

DEN-FRA - Available on United business (same above flight) on lifemiles search. But just wont show on the above LAS-FRA search. Ughhh!

ORD-FRA-DEL - Available on Lufthansa business on a single ORD-DEL search on lifemiles. FRA-DEL alone wont show on search. So only need FRA-DEL. Crazy

DEL-MLE - Available on Air India economy

I will email them and see if they will. Got the miles already. Just so hard to use lol
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:59 pm

I am trying to book 2 tickets in J on TAP via lifemiles on 8/16 LIS to BOS. It is showing 4 seats available on TP 215 (including on UA and AC). I have emailed them with the screenshot method, and called many times but they keep saying there is no availability. Do I stand any chance getting them to help me here, or am I SOL?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by redsoxfan027
I am trying to book 2 tickets in J on TAP via lifemiles on 8/16 LIS to BOS. It is showing 4 seats available on TP 215 (including on UA and AC). I have emailed them with the screenshot method, and called many times but they keep saying there is no availability. Do I stand any chance getting them to help me here, or am I SOL?
Same exact issue. Trying to book TAP in J. Lifemiles shows 4 seats, United shows 4 seats. Error message. Emailed them, no reply. Called them. At first it sounded promising. Agent told me the flight numbers he's seeing, which were the ones I needed. Then he comes back and says sorry. His system is not showing availability. Ridiculous. And of course bought miles specifically for these flights.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
Same exact issue. Trying to book TAP in J. Lifemiles shows 4 seats, United shows 4 seats. Error message. Emailed them, no reply. Called them. At first it sounded promising. Agent told me the flight numbers he's seeing, which were the ones I needed. Then he comes back and says sorry. His system is not showing availability. Ridiculous. And of course bought miles specifically for these flights.
I bought the miles specifically for this flight as well. Crazy frustrating
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:12 am

Before I go through the trouble of constructing an elaborate screenshot itinerary:

Is it possible to get a routing one-way North America to Australia the long way, where separately (say) IAD-FRA and FRA-BKK-SYD are available? And does it price as though flown in a more direct transPacific route? If it just ends up being [63k North America <> Europe] plus [85k Europe <> Australia] it won't be worth the trouble and I'll book them separately.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:56 am

With LifeMiles it is always YMMV…
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:53 pm

Been trying to book cash tickets via Avianca.com with my amex card but I always get an error:

The "Credit and debit card" option is then greyed out, and "Pay by PSE" becomes the only option. Clicked "request help" and completing the form, but haven't heard from them for several days. Anyone run into the same issue?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:06 pm

A partner (Eva) has changed my itinerary booked through LifeMiles. The first flight AMS-TPE is intact, and the second sector TPE-BNE which was redeye is now retimed to a daytime flight departing the next morning (with the same flight number). The stopover is still under 24 hours and should be valid.

What's the best way to get LifeMiles to reconfirm and reticket this? I'm calling the Avianca US call center on 800-284-2622. When I choose LifeMiles, there's no option to deal with bookings or talk to an agent. When I choose "existing booking", it hangs up on me after asking if I want to provide feedback at the end. It hangs up whether I reply yes or no.

I'm currenty on hold to discuss "making a booking" but there's no indication of how long the wait will be, and since it's an existing LifeMiles awards I don't know if the agent who answers will be able to help.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:55 pm

After being transferred through three different agents this is now fixed.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
A partner (Eva) has changed my itinerary booked through LifeMiles. The first flight AMS-TPE is intact, and the second sector TPE-BNE which was redeye is now retimed to a daytime flight departing the next morning (with the same flight number). The stopover is still under 24 hours and should be valid.

What's the best way to get LifeMiles to reconfirm and reticket this? I'm calling the Avianca US call center on 800-284-2622. When I choose LifeMiles, there's no option to deal with bookings or talk to an agent. When I choose "existing booking", it hangs up on me after asking if I want to provide feedback at the end. It hangs up whether I reply yes or no.

I'm currenty on hold to discuss "making a booking" but there's no indication of how long the wait will be, and since it's an existing LifeMiles awards I don't know if the agent who answers will be able to help.
Unless an agent is available to answer the call the call is dropped (best guess). If at first you don't succeed; call again. Lufthansa changed two flights and Avianca needed to reissue the ticket but the process was a four hour process until the transfer was to the correct agent. One agent spent 15 minutes on the phone trying to explain he was going ot transfer the call. The process is much easier if the language of choice is Spanish.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, Delta - Gold
Hi All,

I'm going a little crazy with this, and would really appreciate some help. I had found a great Business Class flight on Lifemiles from BKK to JFK via ADD on Ethiopian airlines on 4Jan22, but after transferring points to life miles it seems that this is a phantom availability route, as I can't actually book those tickets. As such, I'm now sitting with a 156,000 lifemiles points, and would appreciate any advice people may have for J class flights on Lifemiles. I've got alot of flexibility with the flights, so if there are any "known" good routes I would appreciate any advice.

Essentially looking for a J Class flight between 2Jan23 to 5Jan23 from BKK (or any Asian airport really) to JFK (or really any airport in the USA). Are there any good routes from Asia to the US on Lifemiles that would be worth me keeping an eye out on / that anyone can see?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.