Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Leo Shortland
Hi All,

I'm going a little crazy with this, and would really appreciate some help. I had found a great Business Class flight on Lifemiles from BKK to JFK via ADD on Ethiopian airlines on 4Jan22, but after transferring points to life miles it seems that this is a phantom availability route, as I can't actually book those tickets. As such, I'm now sitting with a 156,000 lifemiles points, and would appreciate any advice people may have for J class flights on Lifemiles. I've got alot of flexibility with the flights, so if there are any "known" good routes I would appreciate any advice.

Essentially looking for a J Class flight between 2Jan23 to 5Jan23 from BKK (or any Asian airport really) to JFK (or really any airport in the USA). Are there any good routes from Asia to the US on Lifemiles that would be worth me keeping an eye out on / that anyone can see?
Hi and welcome to FT!

Sorry to hear about your problem.

If you can see the availability on line have you tried using the call centre to book it for you? Or have they confirmed it is phantom? The online booking engine can sometimes not complete bookings, but that doesn’t mean the availability isn’t there.

If it has been confirmed it is phantom, you might want to check other star alliance booking engines to see if they offer any available flights. If they do, try piecing the flights you have found together on the LM booking engine… searching sector by sector. If you find matching availability you might need to use the screenshot method to get LM to book for you.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, Delta - Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi and welcome to FT!

Sorry to hear about your problem.

If you can see the availability on line have you tried using the call centre to book it for you? Or have they confirmed it is phantom? The online booking engine can sometimes not complete bookings, but that doesn’t mean the availability isn’t there.

If it has been confirmed it is phantom, you might want to check other star alliance booking engines to see if they offer any available flights. If they do, try piecing the flights you have found together on the LM booking engine… searching sector by sector. If you find matching availability you might need to use the screenshot method to get LM to book for you.
Thanks for the kind words! 0/4 for calling up talking to different reps, but have tried the Email Screenshot method and will report back if this is succesful!
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, Delta - Gold
Thanks for the kind words! 0/4 for calling up talking to different reps, but have tried the Email Screenshot method and will report back if this is succesful!
Closing the loop here, wrote to their english support w/o a response for 6 days, google translated into spanish and got a response back the next day confirming it wasn't possible to book these in their system. Will continue to keep looking!
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:53 am

Closing the loop here, wrote to their english support w/o a response for 6 days, google translated into spanish and got a response back the next day confirming it wasn't possible to book these in their system. Will continue to keep looking!
Do you still see the space available on the screenshots? If it is available, they should be able to book, I always wrote in English. Maybe your spanish email got to incompetent agent or the space might have been gone?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hey all,

As a *G, would me and ny no-status partner get lounge access at BOG on a domestic basic economy ticket (or an XS fare as Avianca likes to call it)? Also, would I get a free checked bag as well? I know star alliance rules say yes to both questions, but I would like to have some confirmation of how it de facto plays out. Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Hi i have a question, i hav esome friends planning to fly in December to PUJ but the flight costs are quite steep and with my miles its quite cheap, however they have an infant.

Hence the question: Can i book for them (2 adults) with my LM, then call LM to add the third ticket (the segment)?. And does anyone know how much the % increase is in the total fare?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Etheereal
Hi i have a question, i hav esome friends planning to fly in December to PUJ but the flight costs are quite steep and with my miles its quite cheap, however they have an infant.

Hence the question: Can i book for them (2 adults) with my LM, then call LM to add the third ticket (the segment)?. And does anyone know how much the % increase is in the total fare?
You call the operating airline to purchase an infant ticket and THEN call ticketing carrier (LifeMiles/Avianca) to link the infant ticket to the reservation. Infant fare varies between airlines.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mlqsko
You call the operating airline to purchase an infant ticket and THEN call ticketing carrier (LifeMiles/Avianca) to link the infant ticket to the reservation. Infant fare varies between airlines.
I see, thank you. I really got a bad fare for the toddler, compared to all the savings the parents will get, shame.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
FML, I scoped out a biz class ticket without enough miles in account and got to confirmation page. It was the "last one left" and now after transferring miles in (instant), I don't see it anymore. I'm guessing it got "locked" by my previous attempt. Pepega... what do? Tried diff VPN, smart search / star alliance / specific airline, even incognito but it makes you login anyways.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:02 pm

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this forum or the United one, but I am *very* confused about how to select a seat on an Avianca flight that I booked via UA miles. There seems to be no option to do this online, and when I called in, the CS rep said I have to wait until check-in to select a seat (and pay for it). Is that accurate?

Additionally, I'm trying to figure out if I can pay to upgrade to business for my LAX to BOG leg that is on a 787-8. Seems like they're going away from biz class in general, but I'm assuming that hasn't all happened if I'm still booked on that plane?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:58 am

Is there a way to upgrade a Lifemiles ticket? I am booked in business but would like to upgrade to First, there is even award space available. Can Lifemiles upgrade the ticket when I pay the difference in miles?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nevs_92
Is there a way to upgrade a Lifemiles ticket? I am booked in business but would like to upgrade to First, there is even award space available. Can Lifemiles upgrade the ticket when I pay the difference in miles?
I’m a little rusty on the rules since covid but I believe that is possible. There’s a USD150 charge to make the change: https://www.lifemiles.com/terms-conditions, see the section on ‘additional terms and conditions for specific transactions’. Change of origin and destination are not allowed, and adding a stopover is not allowed. But I think other changes are ok.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:42 am

Do UA flights come with a bag in economy?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Do UA flights come with a bag in economy?
It depends.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...-and-fees.html

click on Calculate Baggage Fees

MCI to ORD, no
SFO to PPT, yes

The award flight is the economy ticket. Book a dummy booking on United to determine the baggage options. Status is important. Credit cards are important.
mlqsko likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by nevs_92
The two options are voluntary change for $150 or voluntary cancel for $200. I wouldn't call Lifemiles unless the call is a consequence of an involuntary change. Paying the fee can be a days or weeks ordeal.

Best guess the best option is to book the new first flight and cancel the business flight, in that order. The cancellation fee is $200 and the refunds of the fees is a days or weeks ordeal. The last cancellation included $50 in fees to be refunded and Lifemiles cound't process via the original form of payment and request an assortment of bank informaiton to wire the money. I didn't bother responding and assume the money is lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.