Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:03 am

P2 got a popup for the amex business Hilton, legit business with other business cc through amex. No spend on delta gold and Marriot bonvoy. Did a few small transactions, paid those off then tried again and approved.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
So today my SO was checking her AMEX account and notice a pre-approval upgrade offer for the Surpass (150k, spendt $3k). She was surprise to see it because earlier in the year she tried to apply through the public offer and got a pop-up indicating that she had previously had this credit card. So she did not proceed. So then she tried applying for the Aspire but swa antother pop indicating she had recently opened or closed accounts. Anyway she went ahead and clicked on the upgrade link and it looks like it was approved. Got a message saying she will get her new card in 7-10 days. Her account now show Surpass related earning and card benefits.

Thing is we are not sure if the bonus points will be awarded once she meets the spend requirement. The situation is this: in November of 2010, she applied for her 1st no fee HH card, That card was upgrade to the Surpass around September of 2013 (got awarded upgrade bonus points). In April of 2016 she was approved for her 2nd no fee HH (bonus points were awarded). Then last year in October she decided to cancel her Surpass. And now today she apparently got her 2nd no fee HH upgraded to the Surpass . Knowing that she had been denied earlier in the year for previously having a Surpass, can she be certain that the pre-approval bypass the whole once in a lifetime restriction. Her last upgrade happened in Sept 2013, roughly 6 years ago. Since the time lapse between her no fee HH approvals was about 5-1/2 years, can we assume that the Surpass upgrade pre-approval was solely based on enough time lapse beween Surpass applications or upgrade offers and that she will be awarded the bonus points once the spend is met.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Upgrade offers and bonuses are distinct from new account offers and bonuses. I would not expect a problem.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:16 pm

Just got a popup for Biz Hilton card today. I'm at 3/24 and have Gold, BCP, and Bonvoy cards with AMEX. I regularly use the BCP and have been putting spend on the Bonvoy to get an upgrade offer. The Gold only sees about $50/mo in spend.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by poisson
Just got a popup for Biz Hilton card today. I'm at 3/24 and have Gold, BCP, and Bonvoy cards with AMEX. I regularly use the BCP and have been putting spend on the Bonvoy to get an upgrade offer. The Gold only sees about $50/mo in spend.
I see more reports of the pop-up when people apply for the Hilton Business card than I see for any other card (or so it seems.) Weird.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:11 pm

I just got AMEx Platinum card primarily for the Centurion Lounge (I'm SEA-based), but I'm now thinking about cancelling already!

I do most of my trips with wife and 2 kids, don't fly DL that often. I don't need PP since I already have Hilton Aspire.
After my first attempt to use the lounge, I'm pretty disappointed. Was told 25-30min wait, so went somewhere else then went back some time later and then was then told 30-35min wait. Someone else who was waiting to be let in said it's often like this. Once we finally got in, the place was crowded albeit with a bunch of nice open tables we couldn't use because they were reserved/blocked for vips. Food's better than UA Club, but far inferior to UA Club's. Also, I admittedly misread the benefits before enrolling... thought I could take the whole family in, but it turns out that was for Centurion card holders and that Plat holders can only take in up to 2 guests / family members.

I spoke to an AMEx rep and was told I'm welcome to cancel the card within 30days of the first AF posting and I wouldn't be responsible for the $550 AF. So I'm contemplating that option. If I do that, I have no intention of receiving or certainly cashing out the sign-up reward (although I feel I should at least be allowed to cash out rewards from the purchases I made with the card). Of course I haven't used any other monetary Platinum benefits such as airline fee credit or Uber credit. I'm happy to forego my signup reward to get $550 back... it was really the Centurion Lounge I was after.

At the same time, I'm wondering if it's worth any risk to cancel the card even if being told by the rep that I can do it. I'm in good standing with another AMEx card (Hilton Aspire) and don't want to jeopardize ability to get approvals and bonuses in the future. Anyone have any advice on this?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:19 pm
mia

The agent is only telling you that you will not owe the annual fee, that doesn't negate the algorithm which sees that you cancelled in less than a year, which may impact future applications.

Originally Posted by evergrn
....nice open tables we couldn't use because they were reserved/blocked for vips. ....
The reserved tables are for Centurion cardholders. The Seattle Centurion Lounge is the smallest location.

If you use the airline fee credits, the Uber credits, and some other benefits in 2019 and again is 2020 the card will have no net cost. Having gone this far, why would you cancel based on one lounge? ALL airport lounges are crowded. Centurion lounges are only a portion of the Platinum card lounge benefit. In addition to Priority Pass there are Airspace, Delta, and Escape lounges.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 26, 2019 at 7:24 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
At the same time, I'm wondering if it's worth any risk to cancel the card even if being told by the rep that I can do it. I'm in good standing with another AMEx card (Hilton Aspire) and don't want to jeopardize ability to get approvals and bonuses in the future. Anyone have any advice on this?
Even if you only spend to meet the MSR and get the SUB, you've covered the first year's annual fee. If you can use the other credits - airline incidental fees, Uber, Saks, etc. - you add to the net gain. Whatever lounge access you can manage is just gravy. (Lounges everywhere are crowded....just the way it is.)

No reason to cancel prior to your first year anniversary, especially if you want to apply for AMEX cards in the future.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you use the airline fee credits, the Uber credits, and some other benefits in 2019 and again is 2020 the card will have no net cost. Having gone this far, why would you cancel based on one lounge? ALL airport lounges are crowded. Centurion lounges are only a portion of the Platinum card lounge benefit. In addition to Priority Pass there are Airspace, Delta, and Escape lounges.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Even if you only spend to meet the MSR and get the SUB, you've covered the first year's annual fee. If you can use the other credits - airline incidental fees, Uber, Saks, etc. - you add to the net gain. Whatever lounge access you can manage is just gravy. (Lounges everywhere are crowded....just the way it is.)

No reason to cancel prior to your first year anniversary, especially if you want to apply for AMEX cards in the future.
My US-domestic travels are limited, haven't found airline fee credit to be all that beneficial with Hilton Aspire due to lack of flexibility, and I don't really use Uber. So really I was after the Centurion Lounge access for me and the family mostly in SEA but sometimes in HKG. Centurion lounge access certainly wasn't meant to be the icing on the cake... for me, it was central to signing up for the Plat card. With UC policy changing this Nov, I was gearing up to ditch UC for Centurion lounge, but this first experience tells me Centurion lounge will not be a replacement. It's extremely rare for me to not find an available seat at UA Club. SEA's UC is never packed even if it gets busy sometimes.

I understand that the sign-up bonus alone would cover the annual fee. And I can always figure out ways to make use of those other benefits. But AMEx Platinum card to me is really just a membership card that earn poorly asides from air tickets and provide poor travel protection. So I much would've preferred to instead have gotten CSR and its slightly lower AF (albeit also slightly lower sign-on bonus) and flexible travel expense credit and superior protection, had I known that Centurion lounge was going to be a disaster.

Anyways, I'm just explaining why I would cancel the card if I could.

Originally Posted by mia
The agent is only telling you that you will not owe the annual fee, that doesn't negate the algorithm which sees that you cancelled in less than a year, which may impact future applications.
Based on this comment, I guess I will just have to stick it out. My fault for not doing enough due-diligence on SEA Centurion Lounge situation.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:47 am
mia

....US-domestic travels are limited,....
Be sure to investigate the International Airline Program during your trial year:

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
My US-domestic travels are limited, haven't found airline fee credit to be all that beneficial with Hilton Aspire due to lack of flexibility, and I don't really use Uber. So really I was after the Centurion Lounge access for me and the family mostly in SEA but sometimes in HKG. Centurion lounge access certainly wasn't meant to be the icing on the cake... for me, it was central to signing up for the Plat card. With UC policy changing this Nov, I was gearing up to ditch UC for Centurion lounge, but this first experience tells me Centurion lounge will not be a replacement. It's extremely rare for me to not find an available seat at UA Club. SEA's UC is never packed even if it gets busy sometimes.

I understand that the sign-up bonus alone would cover the annual fee. And I can always figure out ways to make use of those other benefits. But AMEx Platinum card to me is really just a membership card that earn poorly asides from air tickets and provide poor travel protection. So I much would've preferred to instead have gotten CSR and its slightly lower AF (albeit also slightly lower sign-on bonus) and flexible travel expense credit and superior protection, had I known that Centurion lounge was going to be a disaster.

Anyways, I'm just explaining why I would cancel the card if I could.

Based on this comment, I guess I will just have to stick it out. My fault for not doing enough due-diligence on SEA Centurion Lounge situation.
Probably not going to be that exciting for you given your intention to cancel the card already, but one option to overcome the issue of getting the whole family in would be to add your wife as an authorized user, which costs another $175, but would come with the benefit that she would have her own card and could access the lounge even if she was traveling without you, if that's a common occurrence. She would also get most of the other benefits, like hotel and rental car statuses and her own Priority Pass card, and by presenting both cards you'd have enough access to get the whole family in while you're traveling together.

The $175 fee also gets you up to 3 authorized users, so if there were others (parents or something) who you would trust to have as an authorized user on your account and who would benefit from the lounge benefits and other features, you could get further benefit and/or get others to split the costs with you that way.

But yeah if you're primarily looking for SEA and HKG lounge access it may just not be for you. The SEA club is often overcrowded, and IMO the HKG club is not quite to the same quality standards that the US clubs are. (HKG also has a few just-about-as-good Priority Pass lounge options which you could access through the PP card available through various credit cards, though again in most cases you'd need 2 PP cards to get the whole family in for free.)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Probably not going to be that exciting for you given your intention to cancel the card already, but one option to overcome the issue of getting the whole family in would be to add your wife as an authorized user, which costs another $175, but would come with the benefit that she would have her own card and could access the lounge even if she was traveling without you, if that's a common occurrence. She would also get most of the other benefits, like hotel and rental car statuses and her own Priority Pass card, and by presenting both cards you'd have enough access to get the whole family in while you're traveling together.

The $175 fee also gets you up to 3 authorized users, so if there were others (parents or something) who you would trust to have as an authorized user on your account and who would benefit from the lounge benefits and other features, you could get further benefit and/or get others to split the costs with you that way.

But yeah if you're primarily looking for SEA and HKG lounge access it may just not be for you. The SEA club is often overcrowded, and IMO the HKG club is not quite to the same quality standards that the US clubs are. (HKG also has a few just-about-as-good Priority Pass lounge options which you could access through the PP card available through various credit cards, though again in most cases you'd need 2 PP cards to get the whole family in for free.)
Yeah I did contemplate that $175 option but, now that I know how mediocre the SEA Centurion Lounge is, I can't see myself shelling out even more money. I thought HKG's Centurion Lounge was the best in the system, so your comment is a bit of a bummer. My wife actually has PP access herself through another card, so we are really more than set with PP. Since I already have Hilton Aspire, some of Platinum card benefits are redundant. I just really overestimated Centurion Lounge.

Originally Posted by mia
Be sure to investigate the International Airline Program during your trial year:

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Yes I will look it up each time I book a flight. In the last month, I've booked two international trips but both times the direct airline prices beat IAP prices. These were both Premium Economy. Are IAP discounts geared more towards J and F than PE? This is something I will continue to keep an eye on for sure.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:35 am
mia

.... Premium Economy. Are IAP discounts geared more towards J and F than PE? .....
This is something to discuss in the other thread. If I recall, Premium Economy started out in a separate program that has now been integrated:

Discounts are offered on all First, Business, and Premium Economy class tickets with participating carriers, and are offered on refundable, restricted, and non-refundable fare types.
...but note that different fares may be available if you call, rather than rely on the website.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Data Point. I tried applying for the Hilton No annual fee card for the 90k bonus and got the dreaded pop up telling me I do not qualify for the bonus. I never had this card and currently hold the Hilton Surpass card. I regularly put spending on it when I stay at Hilton properties at least once a quarter with $500 or so for hotel rooms, but do not use it as a everyday card.

The only other card ive had and closed was the SPG after it became Marriott.

I guess thats enough for AMEX to not value me as a customer. Oh wells.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I tried applying for the Hilton No annual fee card for the 90k bonus and got the dreaded pop up telling me I do not qualify for the bonus. I ... currently hold the Hilton Surpass card. I regularly put spending on it when I stay at Hilton properties at least once a quarter with $500 or so for hotel rooms, but do not use it as a everyday card.

I guess thats enough for AMEX to not value me as a customer.
Looking at the above facts, what do you think would lead Amex to believe that they'd any extra spend from you overall by adding the Hilton No Fee card, considering that you already have a Suprass card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.